Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zion's recovery more than just the meniscus

Here's interesting story on ESPN's site about Zion's recovery. Apparently the Pelican's medical staff is working with him on walking and running a little differently in an effort to ward off injuries.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-recovery-plan

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Here's interesting story on ESPN's site about Zion's recovery. Apparently the Pelican's medical staff is working with him on walking and running a little differently in an effort to ward off injuries.
    Zion is unusual - he walks differently- he jumps differently. You mess around too much with Zion and he won’t do Zion things. But Zion may not be built for a long NBA career. Time will tell.

That's the pits. I don't pay close attention to the NBA. Last I had heard was maybe back by Christmas. I tuned in yesterday to check.

Interesting. I've heard of rebuilding a shot, a pitch, correcting a swimming motion, etc. I guess it makes sense that running dynamics could get altered for sprinters to be more efficient. Not sure I've ever heard of something quite like this though.

While Zion is absolutely not fat, I can understand concerns about whether his important hinges can bear the stress of his enormous athleticism...having said that, I'm not sure rebuilding his gait will be fruitful.
    I think (despite his age) that he'd be a great candidate for the current NBA vogue of limiting the playing time of stars, giving his body time to recover, taking days off, etc...

Call me skeptical, but this is additional therapy, brought about by a predisposition to keep Zion off the court for most if not all of this season. I think it's a good idea in general for Zion's health. But honestly, let's be realistic, he can probably be playing in a few weeks if not already. There is no incentive to do so as the Pelicans don't plan on making the playoffs. Even though Ingram is on a roll and they (surprisingly) crushed Denver in Denver and ended their 7-game winning streak. They're kinda in limbo as an organization, but aren't feeling motivated to bring in Zion soon.Ultimately, it's right to slow Zion's roll until he's not only 100% -- but he's lean, extra fit, and at in peak condition.

I remember reading an article about Curry a few years back that talked about him doing something similar to avoid ankle injuries. Can’t remember the details but it makes sense that Zion might need to tweak some of his movements to lessen the impact on his body.

Exclusive!!

I just found footage of the Pels teaching Zion a new way to walk!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just found footage of the Pels teaching Zion a new way to walk!

I dare you to call Zion a twit or tell him he has a silly walk...
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-26-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Kind of reminds me of how Jax Teller walks in Sons of Anarchy. Think it was called the geordie walk...
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Tanking by holding Zion out for the whole season makes sense in the big picture, trying-to-win-championship sense, but you run the risk of losing your fans who came into the season really excited about Zion and the new look roster after years of knowing that losing Davis was inevitable. So if you were to tell a bunch of people who bought season tickets that you’re shutting down Zion and throwing away the season, maybe they decide to go and find other ways to spend their money. I do think that the average fan understands tanking and why you would do it, but it would be hard not to capitalize on the buzz currently surrounding the team.

Also, didn’t the NBA put in rules preventing a team from voluntarily holding out a healthy player? Or was that just something they talked about but never did?

More importantly (to someone who cares very little about NBA ball) what about the impact on all the other Blue Devils on the roster??

Skating

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Interesting. I've heard of rebuilding a shot, a pitch, correcting a swimming motion, etc. I guess it makes sense that running dynamics could get altered for sprinters to be more efficient. Not sure I've ever heard of something quite like this though.
    Not unusual for hockey players to do something similar to improve their skating.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Tanking by holding Zion out for the whole season makes sense in the big picture, trying-to-win-championship sense, but you run the risk of losing your fans who came into the season really excited about Zion and the new look roster after years of knowing that losing Davis was inevitable. So if you were to tell a bunch of people who bought season tickets that you’re shutting down Zion and throwing away the season, maybe they decide to go and find other ways to spend their money. I do think that the average fan understands tanking and why you would do it, but it would be hard not to capitalize on the buzz currently surrounding the team.

Also, didn’t the NBA put in rules preventing a team from voluntarily holding out a healthy player? Or was that just something they talked about but never did?
    What are we calling an average fan here? The average fan I know wants to tank more often than not in every sport rather than struggle for a 7 or 8 seed. The people who seen to be against this most often are older people or purists.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    More importantly (to someone who cares very little about NBA ball) what about the impact on all the other Blue Devils on the roster??
    The hope is that JJ and Favors are traded by the deadline. I assume other assets may go to ala Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    What are we calling an average fan here? The average fan I know wants to tank more often than not in every sport rather than struggle for a 7 or 8 seed. The people who seen to be against this most often are older people or purists.
    Yep, purists. I want Zion out there as soon as he’s physically 100%. The key for him to become a great player in the NBA is to be able to knock down 3-point shots at a respectable clip. Otherwise he’ll end up being somewhat like Ben Simmons — pretty good player, but lacking the complete game that would make him great.

Anyone can shoot threes in practice. Zion needs to learn to do it in games that count. First, he needs to show that he can shoot while unguarded. Then he needs to prove that he can do it while being closely-guarded. This is going to be a monumental challenge for him. I think it’s critical for him to get started on it just as soon as he’s able.

I saw a great tweet with a GIF of Zion shooting in warmups that said he looked like when a high school football stud walks onto the court and says, "Let me see that."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This has been a thing for quite a while in the NBA. Arnie Kander was one of the pioneers while with the Pistons back in the 90s. And before your try to bring Grant Hill up as a counter, Grant actually included in his deal with the Magic that they offer Arnie a SUBSTANTIAL raise to go to Orlando with him (Arnie stayed in Detroit - the offer was substantially matched).

Arnie would work with the players on all aspects of their strides: from foot strike, to gait, to stride length, through to the gather and jump. He created many training devices that are now considered standard equipment in training rooms everywhere.

Frankly, I'd be surprised that this type of analysis and training WASN'T also done at Duke. It probably was, it just wasn't made public (and it shouldn't have unless by Zion).

It is worth noting that there is always a learning curve to playing in the NBA. I don't care how great you are, you get better from playing games in the league and figuring out what works and what doesn't and what you need to change. If this was like Kyrie's situation with the Nets or Steph and the Warriors, where the player already knows the league really well and the team has its sights set on next year, then I could see sitting him. But sitting a rookie is just plain foolish and would only serve to delay a year of growth and development for Zion.

I bet he is back on the court by mid-January.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that there is always a learning curve to playing in the NBA. I don't care how great you are, you get better from playing games in the league and figuring out what works and what doesn't and what you need to change. If this was like Kyrie's situation with the Nets or Steph and the Warriors, where the player already knows the league really well and the team has its sights set on next year, then I could see sitting him. But sitting a rookie is just plain foolish and would only serve to delay a year of growth and development for Zion.

I bet he is back on the court by mid-January.
    They could manage his minutes though. That would allow him to grow and limit wear and tear.