Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Could it be that Javin has finally reached the mythical Zoubek Inflection Point where "value" (Rebounds/Points) per minute divided by fouls/turnovers per minute finally exceeds one?

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I love it when our bigs channel their inner Zoubek!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratamero View Post
    You're being too harsh on them - they're now the best 5-loss team on Kenpom!
    says Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Funny thing. Since we had that contentious debate about whether Javin DeLaurier could ever stop fouling, he has only committed one (1) foul in his last 47 minutes on the floor.

Also, Javin has successfully converted his last ten (10) FG attempts.

If you were an announcer on the air, you would have just ensured that Javin would miss his next shot and foul on his next defensive possession.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If you were an announcer on the air, you would have just ensured that Javin would miss his next shot and foul on his next defensive possession.
    Back in the day, this phenomenon was known as the Curt Gowdy Curse (you younguns go look him up on the Google machine).

Did I miss the Tre Jones foot vigil?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'm leaning to Joey is legit:

He's 6'7" and shoots quickly with a high release point
    So far, he has shot well when open and shot well when defended
    Has good shooting numbers overall 54% FG and a perfect 10-10 from the FT line
    Not afraid to pull the trigger and in fact looks for his shot; seems to be a hard worker
    He's 16 for 30 from 3-points on the season.
    Reasonable. The standard deviation for that proportion is about 9% so the classic two standard deviations on the low side reaches only down to 35%. That suggests he is a very legit shooter. Of course going forward defenses will pay more attention to him but that makes him a valuable floor spacer for everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Reasonable. The standard deviation for that proportion is about 9% so the classic two standard deviations on the low side reaches only down to 35%. That suggests he is a very legit shooter. Of course going forward defenses will pay more attention to him but that makes him a valuable floor spacer for everybody else.
    Excellent.

As far as the eye test is concerned I was impressed that most of his makes didn't touch the rim. It was just SPLASH.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Did I miss the Tre Jones foot vigil?
    K said in the post-game presser that if it was an ACC game, Tre would have played. It’s just a tweak but sitting him gives an extended rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, what was up with the scoreboard? I kept reflexively looking up to see how many points Joey had or how many rebounds Carey had or whatnot. I’ve become so used to the scoreboard stats feature in Cameron that I was kind of lost.

I think it's a software problem.

Right

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Excellent.

As far as the eye test is concerned I was impressed that most of his makes didn't touch the rim. It was just SPLASH.
    Absolutely right. I replayed one of Baker's 3s for my son, who said "looks like JJ."

Now if he can improve his defense and rebounding . . .

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    And WITH the home loss to SFA, which I thought would be an absolute computer ratings killer at the time.
    sfa has shot up the rankings, from 300+ to knocking on top 150...to the point where a close loss at home isn't the bondoogle it might have been, and offset by relative wollopings of MSU and VT on the road, and the beatdown of epic proportions last night over a team ranked similarly to SFA.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    #1 in Sagarin and #1 in BPI as well. So #1 in the three most well-known computer rankings. (Doesn't mean they have to be right, of course).

Who would've thunk this is where we'd be after that first exhibition game against NW Missouri St.

Lots of games to play, but this could go down as one of Coach K's greatest seasons.
    The one thing about this team is that the bench is really capable. Two seniors and one junior who understand their roles- one junior that has shown flashes and a soph who is beginning to find his game and his shooting with confidence. This team can wear opponents out because K can mix and match players on the floor- he has teams for D and teams for O and on any given night a different guy (other than Tre or Vern) could have a big night. I am very happy with the passing of late- Goldwire has a few nifty assists. The team is better than I expected at this stage. I hope the growth continues.

Postgame Press Conference

Don't think it was posted yet. Worth a watch/listen. Available here.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Excellent.

Totally. His FTs too. Such a beautiful arc. Some shooters are so good that the ball just hits the net differently. And Joey seems like one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Absolutely right. I replayed one of Baker's 3s for my son, who said "looks like JJ."

Now if he can improve his defense and rebounding . . .
    Yup. And actually his defense/hustle is as good if not better than JJ's. Baker is first to dive for a loose ball on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Don't think it was posted yet. Worth a watch/listen. Available here.
    Strong comments from the GOAT.

I think he sees championship potential for this group. Not that some recent teams haven't had that potential also, but K is very complimentary of this team's work ethic and toughness; recognizes the contributions the veterans are making.

AOC got burned at least once by watching the ball while his man made a cut for the basket and scored a layup. By junior year one should know there's a reason God (or Darwin) designed us with our head on a swivel. May end up as the odd man out when the rotation is shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Totally. His FTs too. Such a beautiful arc. Some shooters are so good that the ball just hits the net differently. And Joey seems like one of those guys.
    Baker has a nice stroke but his shots usually have a very slow and slightly cockeyed rotation. I don’t recommend that he change it though. Seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Baker has a nice stroke but his shots usually have a very slow and slightly cockeyed rotation. I don’t recommend that he change it though. Seems to work well.
    Clearly he is the best shooter from distance and may also be the best from the line and from mid range. It sounds like he is a natural boosted by a lot of practice. AOC has nice form but has been inconsistent. Some say its in his head. I don't know what the issue is but hope it clicks for him as the season progresses.