Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 114
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Sith Map Thingie is not a stretch by any means. When I first saw it, I thought it was going to be a holocron, which are knowledge storage units that have been hidden all over, by both Jedi and Sith. It's not much different.
    Also, Luke didn't have 3-PO translating for him, which helped obviously. And ultimately, the Sith Map Thingie that was used was the one that Kylo found. He probably took a long while to find it, too. Thankfully, we didn't have to watch the whole thing, just the end of his search.
    AHA!! I have backup! (Now that I've seen the movie, I'm having a blast going through "Easter Egg" articles.)

    41. The Sith Holocron
    Though it's referred to as a "Wayfinder" throughout the movie, the tiny pyramid device Rey and Kylo Ren use to find Exegol is actually a Sith holocron. These semi-mystical devices were used by both the Sith and the Jedi to store information, and have appeared in a lot of non-film material, including Star Wars Rebels.
    https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/sta.../2900-3312/42/
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-01-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    AHA!! I have backup! (Now that I've seen the movie, I'm having a blast going through "Easter Egg" articles.)


    https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/sta.../2900-3312/42/
    List is incomplete with mentioning the Jawa "oootini!!"

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    AHA!! I have backup! (Now that I've seen the movie, I'm having a blast going through "Easter Egg" articles.)


    https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/sta.../2900-3312/42/
    Yeah, my eight year old son saw it, leaned over, and whispered “That’s a holocron.”

    I was proud

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, my eight year old son saw it, leaned over, and whispered “That’s a holocron.”

    I was proud
    Ha! Good job, kid! I missed Chicago '95's comment on the first page of this thread, he called it out as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I just saw it and I freakin' loved it. 42 years wrapped up nicely. I didn't notice any undoing of the previous movie or disappointment that Rey is somebody. Why? Because 1-I wasn't looking for it. 2-So what if someone else has a different imagining than me? 3-Being Palpatine and the notion that anyone can be a force user are not mutually exclusive. It doesn't ruin anything. 4-Making her the granddaughter of Sithface makes her journey and challenges more intense. I reconnected with the 13 year old boy in me that was blown away in 1977. Sometimes you just have to eat popcorn, relax, and enjoy the movies. No geeking out. No over analysis. Just watch and allow yourself to suspend reality and join the universe being created in front of you.
    Last edited by Reddevil; 01-01-2020 at 03:25 PM.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Follow up thoughts, with replies to some previous posts. Gonna pick on JE a lot.


    In the the breadth of the movies, "The Force" has been forever expanding. Think back to A New Hope. The Force meant you could block shots while blindfolded, hit a training sphere with your lightsaber, and blow up the Death Star without the aid of a computer. In every movie since, the abilities of a trained Force user have been expanded on, by every director at the helm. I'm good with it.


    The fan service is precisely why this is one of my favorite movies in the series.


    The Sith Map Thingie is not a stretch by any means. When I first saw it, I thought it was going to be a holocron, which are knowledge storage units that have been hidden all over, by both Jedi and Sith. It's not much different.
    Also, Luke didn't have 3-PO translating for him, which helped obviously. And ultimately, the Sith Map Thingie that was used was the one that Kylo found. He probably took a long while to find it, too. Thankfully, we didn't have to watch the whole thing, just the end of his search.


    So you know that to use Force healing, it takes a lot out of you. Literally. (If you've been following the Mandolorian, this is made clear and is obviously why they moved the 7th episode to before the opening night. Given, you saw it before then.) So Ben Solo just got his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. kicked to the point of death by Sidious, and chucked off a cliff. He summons all of his strength to come back up, and unfortunately finds Rey in even worse shape. To see that saving her cost him his own life wasn't laughable to me at all, it was more predictable. That one I could see coming as soon as his hand cleared the ledge.


    In the first episode (and season) of Resistance (insufferable show but has gotten better as it draws to a close) Poe left BB-8 with Kaz & Company on the Colossus for an extended period of time, so he does ok without him. That's not an answer to your question, but lends to plausibility.

    That NEEDS to happen!

    You don't question there being humans in a galaxy far, far away, though. What are the odds of that?
    I had a feeling you would really like it, and I'm glad you did!

    I think people with experience with the Star Wars universe outside the movies (TV shows, books, video games) were better prepared for some of the things that happened in the movie. If you hadn't been a part of any of those things, your previous experience with the Force was telekinesis, vague fortune telling, and a little bit of mind control. Rise of Skywalker definitely got into the more "mystical" aspects of the Force in a way that previous movies hadn't, and I can understand why people who only watched the movies might find that a tad jarring/weird (with the Force healing, holocrons, and whatnot). For the rest of us, though, it was fantastic.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Just rewatched Last Jedi, and saw a huge missed opportunity. Luke is struggling, dying as he looks at the setting sun after force projecting himself to Crait. He gazes at the setting sun, and his vision blurs, (flip to Luke's perspective) causing the sun to [appear to] split into two suns, a la his home planet Tatooine.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    I definitely want to see the unedited version:

    “Rise of Skywalker” editor Maryann Brandon confirms that the explanation about how Palpatine survived and/or came back to life after “Return of the Jedi” was removed from the “Skywalker” theatrical cut. “[There was originally] a little more information about it, what was keeping [Palpatine] alive,” Brandon said, “[but] it seemed to go off topic.”

    “It was kind of a delicate balance and went back and forth a lot about how much we wanted to reveal,” Brandon said about Palpatine’s return. “Some scenes changed quite a bit, the way that we wanted to present it to the audience. In the end, we ended up showing a lot less of it than we started with.”
    Brandon added, “There was so much information in the film and so many characters that we wanted to have an audience concentrate on. I think we felt we didn’t want to clutter the film up with things you didn’t need to know.”


    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...kip=1578090743


    Give it all to me, let me sort through the clutter. I'll sit there for 4 hours.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Give it all to me, let me sort through the clutter. I'll sit there for 4 hours.
    Or two movies!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  10. #90
    Asked this on the Mandalorian thread, but didn’t get an answer. What order should I watch the other series (clone wars, rebels, etc.)?

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Asked this on the Mandalorian thread, but didn’t get an answer. What order should I watch the other series (clone wars, rebels, etc.)?
    Clone Wars (start with the movie) then Rebels. In fact, this was my reply in the other thread to your post. (I think you were looking in the spoiler thread but you asked in the non-spoiler.)

    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Now it's on topic.

    I'd start exactly with those two, in that order. Clone Wars was never given a proper ending, but thankfully Disney is doing just that in February. Even without the best way of going out, it's a really good show, and it gets better over time. Rebels is also a really good show, and it was given one of the best endings that you will find anywhere. (Of course being Star Wars, it still left a number of questions on the table.)

    Besides those two, I'd look at the Lego takes on the Star Wars universe. The Freemaker Adventures is great, and totally hilarious. Having at least some Clone Wars under your belt will help getting some of the references.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Clone Wars (start with the movie) then Rebels. In fact, this was my reply in the other thread to your post. (I think you were looking in the spoiler thread but you asked in the non-spoiler.)
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

    If you want to watch Clone Wars series in chronological order, here you go.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Finally saw it. I originally thought Jason’s critique was overly harsh, but the more I think about it, the more I agree (other than the complaints about Force-healing and the general expansion of Force powers).

    A lot of criticism stems from the fact that this serves as a disappointing culmination of a 9-part saga. That is fair, especially based on how much the movie relies on the goodwill of the earlier films with the audience. But IMO, this was simply not a good movie in its own right. I could probably make a top-100 list of dumbest moments if I had the time and motivation to do so, but I don’t and thus will not. I also don’t want to get into arguments with people about why it makes sense in-universe for Leia to give Chewbacca his medal 42 years later, or how Poe knew about the tower on Exogel (which nonsensically was the only way for a ship capable of interstellar travel to know “which way is up”), or why the Sith made a dagger depicting the location of a holocron using a silhouette that would be utterly useless if the holder was standing a mere 50 yards to the left or right of where Rey just HAPPENED to use it. The bigger issues for me are with the bigger plot points and themes. E.g., if Rey’s destiny is so tied to the fact that her gramps is the evil Sith Lord, why it is not more tied to the fact that her closer relative, i.e., her actual parent (not sure if they ever even bothered to say which parent was the Palpatine and which one just married into this mess) was good in rejecting that evil? Does destiny suddenly just skip a generation now, since that is how long Palps has been offscreen?

    But seriously, can anyone really imagine Luke Skywalker on Hoth, as an AT-AT steps into view, turning slowly to the camera and pausing dramatically before sprinting dramatically into a slow-mo backflip to slash the AT-AT dramatically with his lightsaber? What kind of cheap bombastic clip show nonsense was that? And why was Kylo even trying to run her over there? Oh yeah, because Palps said to kill her...even though he actually meant for Kylo to bring her to Exogel to kill him...even though Palps didn’t really want her to kill him and instead just wanted to suck out just enough midichlorians from her to grow back his fingers but not enough to actually kill her...because cloning/dark magic/stuff only the Sith know about? Ugh, this movie was so stupid whenever I stop to think about literally anything in it.

    Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Clone Wars (start with the movie) then Rebels. In fact, this was my reply in the other thread to your post. (I think you were looking in the spoiler thread but you asked in the non-spoiler.)
    You must be right. Thanks a bunch.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

    If you want to watch Clone Wars series in chronological order, here you go.
    Is there a reason to watch them chronologically vs how they were released?

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Is there a reason to watch them chronologically vs how they were released?
    Not that I am aware of. Something I found recently after the resumption of the series in February was announced.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Is there a reason to watch them chronologically vs how they were released?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not that I am aware of. Something I found recently after the resumption of the series in February was announced.
    I think it makes some things a little more coherent (less of "wait, I thought that person was dead, oh this episode is in the past" moments) but other than that fuse is correct.

  18. #98
    Thanks for the advice guys. I’m digging Clone Wars already - after just the movie and a few episodes.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    I finally saw it yesterday (afternoon showing, with maybe 10 other people in a theater that probably seats 250, and I'm not sure that some of the other 10 were actually alive - what a difference from the original releases). But I give it a mild thumbs up.

    Here's where I'm coming from. Saw the original one (multiple times) when finishing up in college and loved it, almost got a white car because it would seem more like a rebel fighter. Then saw the next 2 in grad school, so that's my generation. Was already getting put off by the cute ewoks and silly co-incidental conveniences of plot by Return of the Jedi. Never even watched the next (now 'first') three in theaters but in bits and pieces on tv later on and considered them pretty ridiculous. Got pulled out to watch VII in theaters when it appeared (4 years ago now?) and thought it was a quite decent return to the 'real' Star Wars of my younger years, but never even bothered to see Last Jedi until it showed up on tv the other week, just to catch me up to see this 'final' one.

    Last weekend I also saw a taped performance of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale with Kenneth Branagh in a theater. It's a wonderful play, one of my favorites, but so full of plot holes, ludicrous co-incidences, and nonsensical behavior that I put its narrative on par with Rise of Skywalker's (but by a far, far better screenwriter, of course, with language that makes Rise of Skywalker seem like a kindergartener's effort, which essentially it is). But you just enjoy them both as they happen and not try to think too deeply about what's holding them up. Lando Calrissian just happens to be on the same random planet, 5 feet away when needed? Why not? Frankly, I've been more baffled by all these characters being able to breathe and talk when running around on top of Sith destroyer craft in outer space, or in whatever planet with whatever atmosphere, which of course made no sense from the very first Star Wars, than the later silly plots that never stand up to scrutiny. Even the original Star Trek tv shows in the 60s had some 'security officer' in red pajamas check out whether the other crew members could breathe on a strange new planet. And when does anyone ever eat dinner?

    My biggest complaint was that we only got to see Keri Russell's eyes (that was her behind all the red armor, right?) Over-all, I found it a reasonably decent wrapping up of the whole thing, so I was contented. Will I watch it again? Maybe on tv in a couple of years. It's no Lawrence of Arabia, but this whole series was always just comic book fluff with zero depth or cultural importance, just bedtime stories which we all enjoyed and shared. Anyone trying to add more depth to that or in all these other comic book super-hero movies is like a social scientist trying to divine importance from the back of a cereal box. And equally disposable. But I thought it was fun while watching. Shakespeare... now that's worth going back to see.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    I finally saw it yesterday (afternoon showing, with maybe 10 other people in a theater that probably seats 250, and I'm not sure that some of the other 10 were actually alive - what a difference from the original releases). But I give it a mild thumbs up.

    Here's where I'm coming from. Saw the original one (multiple times) when finishing up in college and loved it, almost got a white car because it would seem more like a rebel fighter. Then saw the next 2 in grad school, so that's my generation. Was already getting put off by the cute ewoks and silly co-incidental conveniences of plot by Return of the Jedi. Never even watched the next (now 'first') three in theaters but in bits and pieces on tv later on and considered them pretty ridiculous. Got pulled out to watch VII in theaters when it appeared (4 years ago now?) and thought it was a quite decent return to the 'real' Star Wars of my younger years, but never even bothered to see Last Jedi until it showed up on tv the other week, just to catch me up to see this 'final' one.

    Last weekend I also saw a taped performance of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale with Kenneth Branagh in a theater. It's a wonderful play, one of my favorites, but so full of plot holes, ludicrous co-incidences, and nonsensical behavior that I put its narrative on par with Rise of Skywalker's (but by a far, far better screenwriter, of course, with language that makes Rise of Skywalker seem like a kindergartener's effort, which essentially it is). But you just enjoy them both as they happen and not try to think too deeply about what's holding them up. Lando Calrissian just happens to be on the same random planet, 5 feet away when needed? Why not? Frankly, I've been more baffled by all these characters being able to breathe and talk when running around on top of Sith destroyer craft in outer space, or in whatever planet with whatever atmosphere, which of course made no sense from the very first Star Wars, than the later silly plots that never stand up to scrutiny. Even the original Star Trek tv shows in the 60s had some 'security officer' in red pajamas check out whether the other crew members could breathe on a strange new planet. And when does anyone ever eat dinner?

    My biggest complaint was that we only got to see Keri Russell's eyes (that was her behind all the red armor, right?) Over-all, I found it a reasonably decent wrapping up of the whole thing, so I was contented. Will I watch it again? Maybe on tv in a couple of years. It's no Lawrence of Arabia, but this whole series was always just comic book fluff with zero depth or cultural importance, just bedtime stories which we all enjoyed and shared. Anyone trying to add more depth to that or in all these other comic book super-hero movies is like a social scientist trying to divine importance from the back of a cereal box. And equally disposable. But I thought it was fun while watching. Shakespeare... now that's worth going back to see.
    I respect your opinion, but comparing Star Wars to Shakespeare is going to leave you disappointed.

    The common thread I hear from most folks on this thread (independent of Jason's scathing review) is that your enjoyment of this movie is a direct result of your expectations of the movie.

    My expectations were highest going into Episode 1, which was of course a massive let down. They were lowest before Episode 7, which was a pleasant surprise.

    To me, this biggest difference between the prequels and the sequels was focusing on Anakin versus focusing on Rey/Ben. Anakin's character always felt wildly flat. I never bought into his internal conflict, never cared about his danger, etc. Rey and Ben both felt much more dynamic and relatable. I understood why Ben wanted to burn down the entire framework of the Jedi worked for me. Rey's journey to understand her lineage and find her place also worked for me. And, as I stated upthread, their shared scenes were the crux of the last 3 movies and were far and away more compelling than anything in the prequels.

Similar Threads

  1. Star Wars: Episode 9 (The Rise of Skywalker)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 01-01-2020, 11:36 AM
  2. Solo: A Star Wars story collector thread
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM
  3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM
  4. Star Wars: Rogue One SPOILER THREAD!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •