Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I think Mr. Parish is taking it easy on college hoops fans. Literally every year, something thinks a sure-fire lottery pick will come back to play college ball for another year.

College hoops is great, but the NBA is the real deal for every player, and almost every coach.

Thankfully we got an exception on the coaching front!
    Mr. Parish = Rumplestiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No one forces them to go to college. Mrs. Carter sounds like a bitter person.
    It is unconvincing to hear the talk from the sports millionaires of how they are slaves in an unfair system. They clearly have a choice and its one many of us would love to have.

Wendell Carter, Jr. represents Duke with aplomb.

I won’t speculate on whether his mom is a bitter person, but I’m sure she is proud of him. As she should be.

What she should not be is held too tightly to one thing she said once to a reporter. Lord knows I don’t want reporters getting my mom’s take on my employers over the years (all of whom I have a good relationship with, but my mom may have her own thoughts which, for the record, she would love to share).

I won’t speculate on whether his mom is a bitter person, but I’m sure she is proud of him. As she should be.

What she should not be is held too tightly to one thing she said once to a reporter. Lord knows I don’t want reporters getting my mom’s take on my employers over the years (all of whom I have a good relationship with, but my mom may have her own thoughts which, for the record, she would love to share).
    Um, she gave a speech comparing his time at Duke to slavery - not a slip of the tongue. Also, very critical of K bringing in Bagley. She has a right to say all this and we have a right to criticize the slavery angle.

She's not bitter. They genuinely enjoyed Duke. She simply vocalized a sentiment that MOST parents of future pros share - with no chaser. It's not Duke she had a problem with - it's the system. If it was all about school - he would have likely chosen Harvard.

As far as choices go, in today's world of kids who reclassify and have to wait a year to go pro this is not anything NEAR a normal choice for a future pro. You have to operate within the realm of the system - which at this point is primarily college.

There has been a grand total of like SIX players who have gone overseas (Bamba, Jennings, Hampton, LaMelo and a few more) - it is hardly an ideal route to leave your family, friends, city, and country for a year while you prepare for the NBA draft.

Throw in the average lifespan of a NBA career and it becomes even more important to start cashing checks as soon as possible. For instance, a high school player who knows he's a future pro could start capitalizing off his own brand the moment he gets notoriety - however, currently that is not the case. Bronny James could become a millionaire in just a few seconds if he was allowed to sign a Nike contract right now.

The NBA knows all of this and instead of letting the NCAA monitor these future pros - they are investing in the G league heavily as they prepare to change the rules.

I have not been following Wiseman, but it seems to me like he is afraid of being judged against competitive college talent and found wanting. I wouldn't be itching to draft a guy who quits on a team and chooses to strategically avoid competition.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    I have not been following Wiseman, but it seems to me like he is afraid of being judged against competitive college talent and found wanting. I wouldn't be itching to draft a guy who quits on a team and chooses to strategically avoid competition.
    A lot of stones being tossed on this thread. If Kyrie hadn't come back to play a few games, would we be on our high horses? How about if Zion had "shut it down" as he was being advised to do?

It's really random circumstance that allows our fanbase to criticize a player about "quitting on his team." Do you really think Zion has superior moral fiber, and that's why he chose to return after being assured of the #1 pick?

I'd like to borrow the blue glasses some of you wear.

I hope Wiseman is making a smart choice. I hope Cole Anthony comes back healthy and can lead UNC to and NIT trophy. I don't root against players (CP3 being an exception) and I certainly don't judge players making a business decision that pulls them from an unpaid internship.

Quote Originally Posted by golfinesquire View Post
    Wendell Carter's mother even said she was sick of hearing how her son was "paid" with a scholarship since, as she put it, that was a currency he did not want.
    Oh, so Wendell didn’t want his Duke scholarship, huh? Why did he take it then? Nobody forced him to do so.

He got to attend one of our country’s best schools in regard to academics. He was part of THE best basketball program in the nation. He got daily first-hand lessons from perhaps the greatest coach in the history of college basketball, and not just about the sport, but about LIFE. He learned things at Duke — on and off the court — that will serve him well the rest of his years. And let’s not minimize the fact that he was prominently displayed on TV over and over again and viewed by millions, helping establish his name and his game.

Frankly, Mrs. Carter hasn’t a clue what she is talking about when it comes to assessing how her son benefitted from his Duke scholarship. After making such an ignorant comment she simply cannot be taken seriously on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If Kyrie hadn't come back to play a few games, would we be on our high horses? How about if Zion had "shut it down" as he was being advised to do?
    I am not much of a horse rider. But if those guys had quit on their teams and avoided competition then of course I would question their competitive potential at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oh, so Wendell didn’t want his Duke scholarship, huh? Why did he take it then? Nobody forced him to do so.
    Oh, of course they did! As SupaDave mentioned above, the alternatives to the one-year-college route are deeply flawed for anybody who has any professional aspirations at all. The one-year lip-service route of "college" is the minimum-pain, maximum-gain path. Touting the academics of that path is a non sequitur and, frankly, smacks just a little of the plantation mentality that you are claiming is not part of this equation.

I am not much of a horse rider. But if those guys had quit on their teams and avoided competition then of course I would question their competitive potential at the highest level.
    Steven A Smith is calling for Zion to take the whole year off. There is a large gap between SAS calling for it, and it happening, but if it does happen I'll be expecting you to be saddling up.

He got to attend one of our country’s best schools in regard to academics. He was part of THE best basketball program in the nation. He got daily first-hand lessons from perhaps the greatest coach in the history of college basketball, and not just about the sport, but about LIFE. He learned things at Duke — on and off the court — that will serve him well the rest of his years. And let’s not minimize the fact that he was prominently displayed on TV over and over again and viewed by millions, helping establish his name and his game.

Frankly, Mrs. Carter hasn’t a clue what she is talking about when it comes to assessing how her son benefitted from his Duke scholarship. After making such an ignorant comment she simply cannot be taken seriously on this issue.
    You’re right. The mother of one of the most highly recruited players in the country, who had to navigate what are often slimey waters of basketball recruiting, and who is now the mother of a first round draft choice playing the NBA doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. You on the other hand do.

You guys are a little too salty for it to be holiday season and Duke playing great ball, coming off a very impressive win last night!! Everyone has an opinion on almost everything, so let it be. Wishing Wiseman the best, and glad another team moves out of Duke's path to the national championship.

Wiseman's decision may soon be washed from the headlines by the wave of draft-eligible college football players who choose not to play "meaningless" bowl games and risk an injury.

Amusing example, Michigan might actually have a chance in their bowl game against Alabama.
    One, Bama has far more players who will be drafted, and thus, may not play.
    Two, the Citrus Bowl is meaningless to Bama players and fans. It is a major bowl for Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by golfinesquire View Post
    You’re right. The mother of one of the most highly recruited players in the country, who had to navigate what are often slimey waters of basketball recruiting, and who is now the mother of a first round draft choice playing the NBA doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. You on the other hand do.
    I don’t think you read what I wrote accurately. I was specifically and only questioning her assessment of how her son did or did not benefit from his Duke scholarship. I did not question her acumen on other issues. You are making it sound like I disregarded her as a person. I did not.

And I say again, if she truly did not want her son to accept Duke’s scholarship offer he likely would not have done so. Clearly they both saw benefit in Wendell accepting that scholarship. And things appear to have worked out very very well for him. I don’t see where there should be sour grapes on her part towards Duke or the system that is in place.
    Last edited by Steven43; 12-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @GaryParrishCBS
    I’m on a poorly timed flight to Las Vegas. But James Wiseman announcing he’s left Memphis is obviously rough news for Memphis. More than anything, it’s the latest bit of evidence that suggests many elite prospects don’t value college basketball the way most fans would like.
    Right on Gary!! But you fail to mention the negative impact that his leaving will have on his professors and classmates! Shame on you!!

I seriously doubt this. More likely that he did nothing to participate in class and wouldn’t have qualified to play academically once he came off NCAA imposed suspension.

The entire thing was mishandled by the NCAA. First he was cleared, then he wasn’t. Then Penny played him anyway. That’s a lot for a young man to go through. I wouldn’t blame him if he tanked his classes. Maybe he thought “what’s the point if I don’t get to play anyway?”

With the ACCN debacle, this might be a thing of the past. At least if you are a Comcast subscriber.

FWIW I have talked to a couple different acquaintances who played ball at lower D-2 levels and both of them used the term slavery in reference to what the experience felt like at times. They are not equating the two and saying they are the same. The attitude they expressed was that the athletes, most of whom are African American, are being exploited and unpaid so that schools which are mostly run by white males can make a profit.

Just because someone chooses to do something doesn’t mean it is fair and just, or that a conversation shouldn’t happen around how to improve it. You could say that a child working in a sweatshop has the option of just choosing not to work there. That’s not a justification for allowing those conditions to persist. And I am fully aware that Wendell Carter received plenty of benefits and lived a good life playing ball for Duke. He and his mom still have the right to criticize the system. I imagine that if any of us were in a position where we were generating millions of dollars and only receiving a tiny amount of that value, we would be complaining about it as well.

I don’t think you read what I wrote accurately. I was specifically and only questioning her assessment of how her son did or did not benefit from his Duke scholarship. I did not question her acumen on other issues. You are making it sound like I disregarded her as a person. I did not.

And I say again, if she truly did not want her son to accept Duke’s scholarship offer he likely would not have done so. Clearly they both saw benefit in Wendell accepting that scholarship. And things appear to have worked out very very well for him. I don’t see where there should be sour grapes on her part towards Duke or the system that is in place.
    Nope. I read what you wrote accurately and I stand by my statement. She knew/knows precisely how her son benefitted from a Duke scholarship because she was/is far closer to the situation than you are. As SupaDave said below, it is not sour grapes but it is how many elite athletes feel. And I will take you at your word that you did not think you were disregarding her as a person but it did come across as a tad bit dismissive.