Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem

    2019 Presidents Cup

    The proceedings are under way Down Under (Royal Melbourne and it’s super-speedy greens). Patrick Reed put his first shot in a bunker, which seems fitting. And Tiger has a chip-in for birdie at 5.

    Discuss here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Tiger played well... everyone else for the US did not. Down 4-1 after the first set of matches.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Gonna be tough to dig outta this ditch; the “underdogs” r highly motivated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Gonna be tough to dig outta this ditch; the “underdogs” r highly motivated.
    Yep, big hole for the good ol' USofA. Luckily, PReed seems good at digging out . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yep, big hole for the good ol' USofA. Luckily, PReed seems good at digging out . . . . .
    Nice

    On paper this looked like an easy bet on the US but Tiger seems to be the only one who showed up ready to play. It's not over yet but anything less than great play today by the Americans and it will be.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Day 2 is halved, 2.5 to 2.5. So the US stills trails by three (6.5 to 3.5). Four four-ball matches in the (Aussie Saturday) morning, followed by four foursome matches in the afternoon. Coverage begins around 3:30 pm Eastern.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Patrick Reed winning friends and influencing people

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Patrick Reed winning friends and influencing people
    And losing matches. I feel for Webb Simpson.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Day 2 is halved, 2.5 to 2.5. So the US stills trails by three (6.5 to 3.5). Four four-ball matches in the (Aussie Saturday) morning, followed by four foursome matches in the afternoon. Coverage begins around 3:30 pm Eastern.
    I know golf is all about tradition, but the four ball vs foursomes naming drives me crazy. Can't they just say "low score" and "alternate shot"?

  10. #10
    Reed should have been kicked off the team before the Cup started.

    Good to see Tiger playing so well. Bodes well for the upcoming season.
    ~rthomas

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I know golf is all about tradition, but the four ball vs foursomes naming drives me crazy. Can't they just say "low score" and "alternate shot"?
    I prefer "best ball".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I prefer "best ball".
    I know this isn't played at the pro level (although I would definitely watch it if it was), "best ball" sounds to me like a better description of a scramble

    Here is my proposed revisions to the golf dictionary:

    Four Ball / Best Ball => Best of 2 (or Best of 4 for club events where it is the best score of the entire group)
    Scramble => Best Ball
    Shamble => Best Ball off the tee
    Foursome => Alternate Shot
    All Square => Tied

    And while I'm commissioner of golf, let's make all hazards lateral hazards, treat fairway divots as ground under repair, and bring back the anchored putter

    To give credit where it's due, I am a huge fan of the rule changes this year: ability to take a drop instead of re-tee on OB, allowing the club to touch the sand/ground inadvertently in hazards, replacing a ball that moves on its own without penalty, and putting with the flag stick in - well done USGA and R&A.

    </golf rant>

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Shamble
    Have you seen me on a golf course?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I know this isn't played at the pro level (although I would definitely watch it if it was), "best ball" sounds to me like a better description of a scramble

    Here is my proposed revisions to the golf dictionary:

    Four Ball / Best Ball => Best of 2 (or Best of 4 for club events where it is the best score of the entire group)
    Scramble => Best Ball
    Shamble => Best Ball off the tee
    Foursome => Alternate Shot
    All Square => Tied

    And while I'm commissioner of golf, let's make all hazards lateral hazards, treat fairway divots as ground under repair, and bring back the anchored putter

    To give credit where it's due, I am a huge fan of the rule changes this year: ability to take a drop instead of re-tee on OB, allowing the club to touch the sand/ground inadvertently in hazards, replacing a ball that moves on its own without penalty, and putting with the flag stick in - well done USGA and R&A.

    </golf rant>
    "Best ball" is used for "four ball" and is the most widely played game of golf. But it's really "better ball," since it's two-player teams.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Tiger sat all of Saturday, but the US gained grind. 10-8 Internationals lead heading into the singles matches.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Tiger sat all of Saturday, but the US gained grind. 10-8 Internationals lead heading into the singles matches.
    Wow, I posted only after looking at the overall score. Didn’t realize JT and Rickie blew a 5-up lead to end up tying. And that PReed’s caddie (and bro-in-law) got into an altercation with a fan & won’t be allowed to be on Reed’s bag for singles.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Tiger sat all of Saturday, but the US gained grind. 10-8 Internationals lead heading into the singles matches.
    I was puzzled to see the results. When I turned off the TV, Justin Thomas and Ricky Fowler, who had been our best players, were 5-up after nine holes. I was startled to see they halved the match with Ancer and Leishman -- losing the last three holes when they were "dormie."

    Anyway, should be an exciting set of singles matches.

    By the way did anyone catch the interview by Steve Sands with Tiger about why he didn't play at all on the third day, after winning both his matches in the first two days? Double talk, totally double talk. All he would say is, "I trust my team," and "I wanted to give us the best chance to win." Sands asked if he were OK and he said, "I'm old." Ernie Els, I believe nailed it. He said Tiger was not walking normally on Saturday morning, implying that he may have had some stiffness. Tiger did say he would play the singles matches, and he is leading off at 10:02 AM local time Sunday, which I believe is 6:02 PM ET Saturday.

    As a point of interest for the DC crowd, Steve Sands is the son of Ed Sands, the long-time owner of the Calvert-Woodley wine emporium on Connecticut Ave. in DC.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was puzzled to see the results. When I turned off the TV, Justin Thomas and Ricky Fowler, who had been our best players, were 5-up after nine holes. I was startled to see they halved the match with Ancer and Leishman -- losing the last three holes when they were "dormie."

    Anyway, should be an exciting set of singles matches.

    By the way did anyone catch the interview by Steve Sands with Tiger about why he didn't play at all on the third day, after winning both his matches in the first two days? Double talk, totally double talk. All he would say is, "I trust my team," and "I wanted to give us the best chance to win." Sands asked if he were OK and he said, "I'm old." Ernie Els, I believe nailed it. He said Tiger was not walking normally on Saturday morning, implying that he may have had some stiffness. Tiger did say he would play the singles matches, and he is leading off at 10:02 AM local time Sunday, which I believe is 6:02 PM ET Saturday.

    As a point of interest for the DC crowd, Steve Sands is the son of Ed Sands, the long-time owner of the Calvert-Woodley wine emporium on Connecticut Ave. in DC.
    Which is home to “La Chesserie” which has been made famous by Tony Kornheiser as a running gag on his radio show/podcast. If you ever hear someone yell that at Sands that’s why

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    US with unexpected prowess in the singles matches, end up winning a hard-fought battle.
    Very entertaining last hour or so.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    If you haven’t read our own Shane Ryan’s writings from the event (his Twitter feed and for, I believe, Golf Digest), they’re terrific.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 NFL Season
    By bundabergdevil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 389
    Last Post: 01-11-2020, 03:57 PM
  2. Lax: 2019 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 645
    Last Post: 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM
  3. Best Duke Presidents
    By johnb in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
  4. Coolest Film Presidents
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •