Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 Presidents Cup

The proceedings are under way Down Under (Royal Melbourne and it’s super-speedy greens). Patrick Reed put his first shot in a bunker, which seems fitting. And Tiger has a chip-in for birdie at 5.

Discuss here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Tiger played well... everyone else for the US did not. Down 4-1 after the first set of matches.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Gonna be tough to dig outta this ditch; the “underdogs” r highly motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Gonna be tough to dig outta this ditch; the “underdogs” r highly motivated.
    Yep, big hole for the good ol' USofA. Luckily, PReed seems good at digging out . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yep, big hole for the good ol' USofA. Luckily, PReed seems good at digging out . . . . .
    Nice

On paper this looked like an easy bet on the US but Tiger seems to be the only one who showed up ready to play. It's not over yet but anything less than great play today by the Americans and it will be.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Day 2 is halved, 2.5 to 2.5. So the US stills trails by three (6.5 to 3.5). Four four-ball matches in the (Aussie Saturday) morning, followed by four foursome matches in the afternoon. Coverage begins around 3:30 pm Eastern.

Patrick Reed winning friends and influencing people

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Patrick Reed winning friends and influencing people
    And losing matches. I feel for Webb Simpson.

Day 2 is halved, 2.5 to 2.5. So the US stills trails by three (6.5 to 3.5). Four four-ball matches in the (Aussie Saturday) morning, followed by four foursome matches in the afternoon. Coverage begins around 3:30 pm Eastern.
    I know golf is all about tradition, but the four ball vs foursomes naming drives me crazy. Can't they just say "low score" and "alternate shot"?

Reed should have been kicked off the team before the Cup started.

Good to see Tiger playing so well. Bodes well for the upcoming season.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I know golf is all about tradition, but the four ball vs foursomes naming drives me crazy. Can't they just say "low score" and "alternate shot"?
    I prefer "best ball".

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I prefer "best ball".
    I know this isn't played at the pro level (although I would definitely watch it if it was), "best ball" sounds to me like a better description of a scramble

Here is my proposed revisions to the golf dictionary:

Four Ball / Best Ball => Best of 2 (or Best of 4 for club events where it is the best score of the entire group)
    Scramble => Best Ball
    Shamble => Best Ball off the tee
    Foursome => Alternate Shot
    All Square => Tied

And while I'm commissioner of golf, let's make all hazards lateral hazards, treat fairway divots as ground under repair, and bring back the anchored putter

To give credit where it's due, I am a huge fan of the rule changes this year: ability to take a drop instead of re-tee on OB, allowing the club to touch the sand/ground inadvertently in hazards, replacing a ball that moves on its own without penalty, and putting with the flag stick in - well done USGA and R&A.

</golf rant>

Shamble
    Have you seen me on a golf course?

I know this isn't played at the pro level (although I would definitely watch it if it was), "best ball" sounds to me like a better description of a scramble

Here is my proposed revisions to the golf dictionary:

Four Ball / Best Ball => Best of 2 (or Best of 4 for club events where it is the best score of the entire group)
    Scramble => Best Ball
    Shamble => Best Ball off the tee
    Foursome => Alternate Shot
    All Square => Tied

And while I'm commissioner of golf, let's make all hazards lateral hazards, treat fairway divots as ground under repair, and bring back the anchored putter

To give credit where it's due, I am a huge fan of the rule changes this year: ability to take a drop instead of re-tee on OB, allowing the club to touch the sand/ground inadvertently in hazards, replacing a ball that moves on its own without penalty, and putting with the flag stick in - well done USGA and R&A.

</golf rant>
    "Best ball" is used for "four ball" and is the most widely played game of golf. But it's really "better ball," since it's two-player teams.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Tiger sat all of Saturday, but the US gained grind. 10-8 Internationals lead heading into the singles matches.

Tiger sat all of Saturday, but the US gained grind. 10-8 Internationals lead heading into the singles matches.
    Wow, I posted only after looking at the overall score. Didn’t realize JT and Rickie blew a 5-up lead to end up tying. And that PReed’s caddie (and bro-in-law) got into an altercation with a fan & won’t be allowed to be on Reed’s bag for singles.

I was puzzled to see the results. When I turned off the TV, Justin Thomas and Ricky Fowler, who had been our best players, were 5-up after nine holes. I was startled to see they halved the match with Ancer and Leishman -- losing the last three holes when they were "dormie."

Anyway, should be an exciting set of singles matches.

By the way did anyone catch the interview by Steve Sands with Tiger about why he didn't play at all on the third day, after winning both his matches in the first two days? Double talk, totally double talk. All he would say is, "I trust my team," and "I wanted to give us the best chance to win." Sands asked if he were OK and he said, "I'm old." Ernie Els, I believe nailed it. He said Tiger was not walking normally on Saturday morning, implying that he may have had some stiffness. Tiger did say he would play the singles matches, and he is leading off at 10:02 AM local time Sunday, which I believe is 6:02 PM ET Saturday.

As a point of interest for the DC crowd, Steve Sands is the son of Ed Sands, the long-time owner of the Calvert-Woodley wine emporium on Connecticut Ave. in DC.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was puzzled to see the results. When I turned off the TV, Justin Thomas and Ricky Fowler, who had been our best players, were 5-up after nine holes. I was startled to see they halved the match with Ancer and Leishman -- losing the last three holes when they were "dormie."

Anyway, should be an exciting set of singles matches.

By the way did anyone catch the interview by Steve Sands with Tiger about why he didn't play at all on the third day, after winning both his matches in the first two days? Double talk, totally double talk. All he would say is, "I trust my team," and "I wanted to give us the best chance to win." Sands asked if he were OK and he said, "I'm old." Ernie Els, I believe nailed it. He said Tiger was not walking normally on Saturday morning, implying that he may have had some stiffness. Tiger did say he would play the singles matches, and he is leading off at 10:02 AM local time Sunday, which I believe is 6:02 PM ET Saturday.

As a point of interest for the DC crowd, Steve Sands is the son of Ed Sands, the long-time owner of the Calvert-Woodley wine emporium on Connecticut Ave. in DC.
    Which is home to “La Chesserie” which has been made famous by Tony Kornheiser as a running gag on his radio show/podcast. If you ever hear someone yell that at Sands that’s why

US with unexpected prowess in the singles matches, end up winning a hard-fought battle.
    Very entertaining last hour or so.

If you haven’t read our own Shane Ryan’s writings from the event (his Twitter feed and for, I believe, Golf Digest), they’re terrific.