Calipari thinks name on back of jersey is most imp, Coach K obviously disagrees

I don't think this article has already been linked. My apologies if it has. Andy Katz has an interesting article talking about how there doesn't seem to be any clear cut players that are going to be the face of college basketball this season. He also includes a bunch of quotes from Coach K, including his opinion about the NBA age rule, etc. One interesting part near the end:

"Memphis coach Calipari said he has always looked at the name on the back of the jersey as the most important -- if you have a stud, then you have a chance. Krzyzewski is the complete opposite. He has always been about the name on the front of the jersey [...] 'The NBA is always promoting its players,' Krzyzewski said. 'We don't want to do that in college. We don't want that. It's the name on the front, not the back.' "

Tells you a lot about their different philosophies, doesn't it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/previe...ndy&id=3092147

He's right and thats the problem with the NBA. The teams themselves have limited appeal to the masses. Remember when people cared when the Lakers played the Celtics, or even the Cavs or Pistons vs the Bulls? Is there anything the NBA has to offer that is remotely close to the Colts/Pats game last sunday, or Duke/Carolina, Alabama/Auburn, Yankees/ Red Sox? No. The truth is the NBA kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    The truth is the NBA kinda sucks.
    Not always. Here in Atlanta, it really sucks.
    To be fair though, the Hawks are at least starting to act like they want to get their sh!t together.

Nba

Interesting question: who/what is to blame for the NBA's player promotion to the detriment of team promotion? David Stern? Free Agency? Larry, Magic, Michael? Dr. J? Wilt?

For all the bashing the NBA takes on this board, the future of the league is unbelievably bright, albeit not in the US. Take into account that China has more people who play basketball than the US has people, and the NBA's growing popularity in China, and there appears to be a great oppty.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundevil74 View Post
    Interesting question: who/what is to blame for the NBA's player promotion to the detriment of team promotion? David Stern? Free Agency? Larry, Magic, Michael? Dr. J? Wilt?

For all the bashing the NBA takes on this board, the future of the league is unbelievably bright, albeit not in the US. Take into account that China has more people who play basketball than the US has people, and the NBA's growing popularity in China, and there appears to be a great oppty.
    Good, maybe they'll move the whole league over there and I won't have to see it on SportsCenter.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Good, maybe they'll move the whole league over there and I won't have to see it on SportsCenter.
    I agree. I wonder how much the novelty will wear off when the fans in other countries pick up on the long stretches of each regular season game and overall regular season during which a large number of the players are loafing. That's a big part of the problem here.

Good point. The NBA might be decent if they shortened the RS to about 45-50 games.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Is there anything the NBA has to offer that is remotely close to the Colts/Pats game last sunday, or Duke/Carolina, Alabama/Auburn, Yankees/ Red Sox?
    You obviously didn't watch Phoenix/San Antonio last year.

Why people on this board feel they have to bash the NBA at every opportunity is beyond me.

He's right and thats the problem with the NBA. The teams themselves have limited appeal to the masses. Remember when people cared when the Lakers played the Celtics, or even the Cavs or Pistons vs the Bulls? Is there anything the NBA has to offer that is remotely close to the Colts/Pats game last sunday, or Duke/Carolina, Alabama/Auburn, Yankees/ Red Sox? No. The truth is the NBA kinda sucks.
    The Lakers could become again a very, very, very interesting team to watch. Seems to me that the non-Kobe players are really learning the potency of one of the Triangle and Bynum is about to take over as the next great big, and the two Internationals play the MJ/Pippin roles just fine thank you, Kobe. Just might be enough to get and keep Kobe in line.

If LA rises, then so do all ships.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    maybe they'll just move sportscenter over there so i don't have to see it either.