Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Day To Ship Fedex Ground For Christmas Delivery.

If you are planning to use Fedex Ground for your Christmas shipping, better get cracking! The last day for on time Christmas delivery is December 16th.
    As many of you know, I retired and am developing Parkinson's. But my son is still there so I am still getting the info.
    The immense volume this year is causing many to abandon the ship, Matt said 14 quit this week. So they are really hustling, he has been getting home around 0830 every night, six days a week. Even have Sunday crews working too. He had two days last week with over 200 stops.
    The point is, with the volume and people quitting, could equate to late deliveries for Christmas. And I do not want to see my friends here in that situation.
    I am going to go out a limb here and predict a nation wide surge of late stuff, mainly caused by last minute shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    If you are planning to use Fedex Ground for your Christmas shipping, better get cracking! The last day for on time Christmas delivery is December 16th.
    As many of you know, I retired and am developing Parkinson's. But my son is still there so I am still getting the info.
    The immense volume this year is causing many to abandon the ship, Matt said 14 quit this week. So they are really hustling, he has been getting home around 0830 every night, six days a week. Even have Sunday crews working too. He had two days last week with over 200 stops.
    The point is, with the volume and people quitting, could equate to late deliveries for Christmas. And I do not want to see my friends here in that situation.
    I am going to go out a limb here and predict a nation wide surge of late stuff, mainly caused by last minute shoppers.
    Thanks, DevilWin. Thanksgiving was on the latest possible date, leaving fewer shopping days between Black Friday and Christmas. Not just shopping, but holiday parties, travel for those who visit family - everything is compressed into a tighter schedule.

I'm sorry to hear about your oncoming Parkinson's.

Thanks, and am just trying to help. Matt took out 212 stops today, and had 45 more that could not fit. Many had more. Being that I know how people love to put off shopping til the last minute, I can say this year is going to be a hot mess..Glad I am out..lol

Saw the FedEx guy strolling through my neighborhood at 7:45 last night. Didn't look like he was anywhere near being done.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Saw the FedEx guy strolling through my neighborhood at 7:45 last night. Didn't look like he was anywhere near being done.
    An average day at Fedex Ground is around 45000 packages. That is regular Ground and Home Delivery combined at the Kernersville hub.
    This morning, 49000 were scanned in Home Delivery alone. Ground had 42000, making 91000 packages out for delivery today. That shattered last year's one day total record of 79000 by a ton.
    I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it is not looking good for Christmas. If this continues, and with shippers offering these free shipping by Christmas deals, the expected deluge is coming. December 16th is the last promised day. Any shipper telling you otherwise is just not being honest.

Well, Fedex Ground managed to deliver my package from San Antonio to San Antonio within 3 hours. The intended destination was Sun City West, AZ.

This may be the last shot I give them. Two years ago, they lost a 70 lbs package containing a cylinder head. The other one made it to its destination. Unfortunately, they were a date matched pair. And given the limited supply of them(they were nearly 50 years old), nearly impossible to replicate. So, yes, they paid my insurance claim without question but the scarcity of the parts was the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, Fedex Ground managed to deliver my package from San Antonio to San Antonio within 3 hours. The intended destination was Sun City West, AZ.

This may be the last shot I give them. Two years ago, they lost a 70 lbs package containing a cylinder head. The other one made it to its destination. Unfortunately, they were a date matched pair. And given the limited supply of them(they were nearly 50 years old), nearly impossible to replicate. So, yes, they paid my insurance claim without question but the scarcity of the parts was the real issue.
    Sorry that happened to you. But it happens to all the major carriers. Could it have been stolen after delivery? Was it a signature required package? Or did no delivery history show up?

Local post offices in many areas completely overwhelmed by“last mile” and other packages, e.g. Amazon...infrastructure can.t deal with it..two folks I know quit because December has become too stressful...order it and hope for the best, not the end of world if it comes late..not so good if it’s left in a snow drift 100 yards from your home as we have had happen...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Local post offices in many areas completely overwhelmed by“last mile” and other packages, e.g. Amazon...infrastructure can.t deal with it..two folks I know quit because December has become too stressful...order it and hope for the best, not the end of world if it comes late..not so good if it’s left in a snow drift 100 yards from your home as we have had happen...
    My son got home at 9:45 last night. After delivering 229 stops in that nasty weather. He has 198 today. They have lost 32 drivers since Thanksgiving, mostly veterans.
    Three of us retired, the rest just could not handle the stress, there is just too much volume this year, 17% higher than last year. I saw it coming...

Sorry that happened to you. But it happens to all the major carriers. Could it have been stolen after delivery? Was it a signature required package? Or did no delivery history show up?
    I dropped it off at 10 AM and at 1 PM it was marked as delivered with a San Antonio location. So, likely it never left the city and it's current whereabouts are unknown. I called and asked my parents if they had received it, which they had not.

The only things that show up are the received flag and the delivered flag, nothing in between. Potentially, just a procedural issue. But given the volumes, I'm not confident that it will be located.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I dropped it off at 10 AM and at 1 PM it was marked as delivered with a San Antonio location. So, likely it never left the city and it's current whereabouts are unknown. I called and asked my parents if they had received it, which they had not.

The only things that show up are the received flag and the delivered flag, nothing in between. Potentially, just a procedural issue. But given the volumes, I'm not confident that it will be located.
    If it was not a signature required package, there should be a notation as to where it was left. Like front door, garage, etc.

Tomorrow is the last day for on time Christmas delivery.. The drivers are working every day now, including Sundays. No off days. They may have to run a Christmas day crew. So please let them know how much you appreciate their efforts to make your holiday merry..

Multiple records found. Looks like it will make it to my parent’s place as planned.

Arrived this evening, thank you Fedex!

Glad it made it. They usually do.

To me this is laughable.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...12-16-15103614
    Fedex Ground dropped Amazon back in August! Amazon citing "performance issues" lol. When Fedex Ground was carrying their Prime stuff, 4% was delivered late. Now that they are carrying it themselves it is 17% late!!
    A friend lives in a corner house adjacent to a community. He has had Amazon deliver 28 packages to his front porch that went to various homes in that neighborhood. His wife delivered them to the correct locations..Nice job Amazon!

Here is her story on News2..
    https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...7-68f626d4d118

To me this is laughable.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...12-16-15103614
    Fedex Ground dropped Amazon back in August! Amazon citing "performance issues" lol. When Fedex Ground was carrying their Prime stuff, 4% was delivered late. Now that they are carrying it themselves it is 17% late!!
    A friend lives in a corner house adjacent to a community. He has had Amazon deliver 28 packages to his front porch that went to various homes in that neighborhood. His wife delivered them to the correct locations..Nice job Amazon!

Here is her story on News2..
    https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...7-68f626d4d118
    Not surprising they have a worse on-time record. Fast, accurate shipping calls for finely tuned systems, procedures and quality people. Not something I know much about, but it seems to me the expertise is not at all similar to running a website...or even a warehouse.

Logistically and financially, it's just not clear how anyone can add VAST amounts of delivery capacity for a relatively short period of time...not worth buying new trucks or planes, there's only so much you can do with contractors (who often underperform). Gotta live with the new reality I imagine...

One thing is, with unemployment numbers down, they are finding it difficult to hire new people, they are just not applying. And I will tell you now, if your stuff is not in transit now, it may be late. UPS and Fedex are both getting ready to issue a late Christmas package missive out. Retailers are still offering deals including free shipping.. I predicted this, and now it is coming to pass..My son worked til 945 last night..Procrastinating shoppers cause the mess, and they want to blame everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Logistically and financially, it's just not clear how anyone can add VAST amounts of delivery capacity for a relatively short period of time...not worth buying new trucks or planes, there's only so much you can do with contractors (who often underperform). Gotta live with the new reality I imagine...
    UPS has been making use of personal cars. We've had several packages this past week delivered by mini-van with a driver in a UPS uniform.