Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There was a play were perhaps Jack White double dribbled. Cory Alexander pointed it out but if the refs don’t call it, it didn’t happen.
    WWBS?

(what would bilas say?)

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    WWBS?

(what would bilas say?)

That the no-call was the greatest tragedy in the history of mankind . . . and what about Cole Anthony and UNC? Aren’t they great?!?

No ACCN for me so Mrs. dd and I went out for the evening, just like the OPKs (great minds and all that stuff) but I've looked at the box score and read the recaps here and remain rather surprised at our path to the victory. No real "stars" for the game with a long list of quality contributors. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    That the no-call was the greatest tragedy in the history of mankind . . . and what about Cole Anthony and UNC? Aren’t they great?!?
    Sounds about right .

No ACCN for me so Mrs. dd and I went out for the evening, just like the OPKs (great minds and all that stuff) but I've looked at the box score and read the recaps here and remain rather surprised at our path to the victory. No real "stars" for the game with a long list of quality contributors. Great stuff.
    Extended highlight video (21 minutes) on YouTube if you want to see some of what you missed.

Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    From the 20,000-ft level, Duke just executed our pregame plan well. We held VaTech to their fewest 3-pt attempts of the season *and* their lowest percentage shooting from 3 for the season (25%). We gave up some layups as a result, but overall the Hokies could only register 0.95 ppp without their threes. And Duke's offense did enough to carry us to the win. That's what I laid out in the pregame thread.

But when you dig in, it becomes a much more interesting story and you see that Coach K did a great coaching job -- he decided that to beat this smallball 5-out team, Duke would have to *become* a smallball 5-out team ourselves. And we ended up beating VaTech at their own game. Just wonderful!
    And Coach K is known for not adjusting to your opponent, instead forcing them to adjust to you. That's a fine idea when it works and when it doesn't adjust the adjustment. Nice example of flexible thinking in an old dog.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Extended highlight video (21 minutes) on YouTube if you want to see some of what you missed.

Excellent! Thanks! I'll watch the video this afternoon. What beer should I sip while watching? (shameless )

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Great win in another hostile environment.

More strange stats: Duke is dead last in the nation giving up points in the paint, yet we are first in blocks? I think that’s what I heard during the game.

Our pressure D on the perimeter is solid and we do force our fair share of turnovers, but we also are susceptible to being beat off the dribble. So I guess the “points in the paint” stat makes sense. But I believe we will get better with our interior D as the season progresses.
    Doesn’t pretty much everybody get beat off the dribble these days? Basketball has just evolved to where most guards, and even many forwards, are able to get past their initial defender.

It has become a point of real emphasis for the most frequent ballhandlers to learn the necessary skills to enable them to beat their man off the dribble. The guy with the ball has the advantage over his defender. If even Tre Jones gets beaten frequently I think that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Raise your hand if you thought that J-Gold would be shooting the 3 at a better rate than AOC this year? Also, raise your hand if you thought AOC would have the worst 3FG% of players who have made at least one 3?
    I don't mean this to rag on AOC, just goes to show that our expectations for players can miss the mark. Hopefully this is just a snapshot of a moment during the year and by the end of the year AOC will have adjusted, grown and recovered his shooting stroke.
    I’m’ll go ahead and throw a “small sample size alert” on this one.

I personally think yesterday was a great win. We showed how diverse of a team we can be. We might not have 3 top five picks, but we play hard and have a lot of heart. I will take that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There was a play were perhaps Jack White double dribbled. Cory Alexander pointed it out but if the refs don’t call it, it didn’t happen.
    Much like the infamous steal and dunk to end the SFA game, by rule it wasn’t a double dribble. The pass from Moore (?) to White in the corner was a bit off target. White knocked it to the floor to gain possession. By rule, that wasn’t a dribble, even though it looks basically the same as a dribble. He then pump-faked a 3 before actually initiating his dribble.

Just like the correct non-call against SFA was made, the correct non-call was made on White’s play.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Much like the infamous steal and dunk to end the SFA game, by rule it wasn’t a double dribble. The pass from Moore (?) to White in the corner was a bit off target. White knocked it to the floor to gain possession. By rule, that wasn’t a dribble, even though it looks basically the same as a dribble. He then pump-faked a 3 before actually initiating his dribble.

Just like the correct non-call against SFA was made, the correct non-call was made on White’s play.
    That one and the play when after controlling the ball, he lost control, the ball went straight up, he grabbed it again and the drove. Apparently that ball was knocked from his hands initially.

Both plays looked strange and I suspect Bilas files a friend of the court complaint to Swofford.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

No, but see, the SFA one wasn't a double dribble, and White's play WAS. It's so obvious-the haters told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    I may have missed the thread, but is anyone keeping up with the team dunk stats this year? I know we don't have as many as the last couple of years, but still enough to enjoy with some expected highlight reel dunks by Cassius.
    I have been tracking it privately. I can post sometime this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I have been tracking it privately. I can post sometime this coming week.
    Thanks Kedsy.

Our small ball man 2 man was absolutely smothering in the "4th quarter". Great come back.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That one and the play when after controlling the ball, he lost control, the ball went straight up, he grabbed it again and the drove. Apparently that ball was knocked from his hands initially.

Both plays looked strange and I suspect Bilas files a friend of the court complaint to Swofford.
    Yeah, the one you mentioned looked much more questionable. Couldn’t see it, but the ball must have been stripped on the way up, otherwise that would have been a travel.

I am in the ACCTV black hole, and the extended highlights don’t do justice to the stretch I wish I could watch - the last 9:00. VT had 55 points and was down 1. Didn’t break 60 until 0:33. Was the D as stifling as that looks on paper?

Quote Originally Posted by SOB13 View Post
    I am in the ACCTV black hole, and the extended highlights don’t do justice to the stretch I wish I could watch - the last 9:00. VT had 55 points and was down 1. Didn’t break 60 until 0:33. Was the D as stifling as that looks on paper?
    While watching live, the lead escalated quickly. We were ahead by 5-7 points, but the outcome still seemed very much in doubt to me. Then all of a sudden, we were up 15. I think the sequence of the flagrant on Nolley, Young took Nolley out of the game, and Moore drained both free throws was a turning point.

Excellent! Thanks! I'll watch the video this afternoon. What beer should I sip while watching? (shameless )
    Dead & Berried (duh!).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."