Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Man,did the Blue devils get it done in the second half tonight! Thought J.White and JGold were fantastic and Tre great as always. Good to see AOC play better. Huge shots toward the end and Wendell played some really good minutes.Coach K showed why he is the GOAT when he inserted that small lineup that helped take the Hokies apart! So nice to get a win in that Blacksburg barn for a change. Go Duke!!!

Why the Good to Great D?

Like many of us, I came to love Duke b-ball for a number of reasons, including its signature tough defense. Then, alas, came the OAD years. Almost too painful to recall...from a defense point of view. I am still working at overcoming my PTSD from the 2015 Miami game in Cameron when they shredded our M2M. One of their guards said after the game, it's easy to beat Duke, just draw them out and blow past them. K added zone to our defense and that helped. But I missed the good ol days.

I need Kedsy and others to either to confirm or refute, but my non-data-supported view is that we have had decent but not great defensive teams since then. Until this year. This year's team plays tough D, nearly always M2M. Again, if the overall stats don't confirm, I will recalibrate what I think my eyeballs are seeing: Tenacious on-ball defense, good lateral quickness, smart switching and good help. This team seems to really want to play good D, and they do [again, eyeball perspective].

My question is: Why do they seem to be more committed to playing tough D this year than before? I have heard that it's because of Tre, but that doesn't seem to fully account.

I would greatly appreciate any insights. Jim Sumner, do you have some inside skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Like many of us, I came to love Duke b-ball for a number of reasons, including its signature tough defense. Then, alas, came the OAD years. Almost too painful to recall...from a defense point of view. I am still working at overcoming my PTSD from the 2015 Miami game in Cameron when they shredded our M2M. One of their guards said after the game, it's easy to beat Duke, just draw them out and blow past them. K added zone to our defense and that helped. But I missed the good ol days.

I need Kedsy and others to either to confirm or refute, but my non-data-supported view is that we have had decent but not great defensive teams since then. Until this year. This year's team plays tough D, nearly always M2M. Again, if the overall stats don't confirm, I will recalibrate what I think my eyeballs are seeing: Tenacious on-ball defense, good lateral quickness, smart switching and good help. This team seems to really want to play good D, and they do [again, eyeball perspective].

My question is: Why do they seem to be more committed to playing tough D this year than before? I have heard that it's because of Tre, but that doesn't seem to fully account.

I would greatly appreciate any insights. Jim Sumner, do you have some inside skinny?
    We had one of the best defensive teams in the country most of last year. and a top 10 defense the year before.
    1200. DDMF.

Biggest question that I have now:

Would Javin ever get triple teamed again?

Our team’s leading rebounder? Tre and Goldwire tied with six apiece.

My question is: Why do they seem to be more committed to playing tough D this year than before?
    I think it’s a combination of a.) K drilling into the team from the start that they would need to focus on defense and that would be the key to their success, b.) having a lot of depth and guys knowing that if they don’t play D then someone else will, c.) Tre’s leadership and energy which everyone feeds off of, d.) recruiting guys who are just naturally more defensive minded.

Last year’s team was great defensively, but it was created more by their insane physical gifts and not as much on team communication and hustle. The season before was when we played zone with Carter and Bagley, statistically our defensive efficiency was really good but the eye test told me we had real flaws that were almost impossible to overcome. 2016 and 2017 we had offensive players who didn’t play a lick of D, those are really the seasons people refer to when they say OAD’s can’t play defense. 2015 too, although we pulled it together for the tournament. That six game run of amazing defense was a complete anomaly, akin to a terrible shooting team suddenly making 50% of its threes over six games.

Just a beautiful game. Workmanlike.

I was harsh on K after SFA (fairly, I believe) and I'll correspondingly shower praise after this one. It was an excellent scheme by K. And most impressive to see him play such a deep bench and give such long leashes to so many players, including Baker, Goldwire, and AOC, especially at the expense of Carey. Beautiful job.

We looked excellent tonight. Those that said Goldwire and White are black holes on offense after the SFA game (sorry, kshep, have to call you out on that one) were shown a different story in this one. The entire team looked balanced and versatile, fully capable of handling a solid ACC team on the road.

Make no mistake, EVERY single ACC road game is a tough one. If you've forgotten that, then you've forgotten a lot. It's never easy on the road in conference. So this was a very, very solid and pleasing win. We had contributions almost universally across the board (save maybe Stanley, returning from injury) and we looked good doing it.

Excellent win. Kinda crazy to think we lost to SFA after this past week. But also, somewhat meaningless that we lost to SFA after this week. There is next to zero doubt in my mind that we would beat SFA in a rematch right now. We look like we're improving...quickly.

And I LOVE that.

- Chillin

This team has alot of pieces that can be chopped and changed to matchup well against nearly any type of opponent.

Incredible coaching by the GOAT to adapt his lineup against one of the smallest teams in the NCAA (I believe there was a stat during the game that ranked vtech as 300+ in terms of height whereas we are 12th in the entire NCAA).

Moore I thought had a great game defensively and showed alot of confidence from the free throw line!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    This team has alot of pieces that can be chopped and changed to matchup well against nearly any type of opponent.

Incredible coaching by the GOAT to adapt his lineup against one of the smallest teams in the NCAA (I believe there was a stat during the game that ranked vtech as 300+ in terms of height whereas we are 12th in the entire NCAA).

Moore I thought had a great game defensively and showed alot of confidence from the free throw line!
    I did not get to watch in real time and when I saw the score I thought Duke dominated the second half. I was surprised that this was very close until a small stretch in the last 5 or so minutes. This team is hard to prepare for. Different players are stepping up every game. Moore has been playing poorly and sparingly for a couple games and he was a key last night. Goldwire continues to impress and is becoming a real pain for opposing teams. This team is figuring it out- the players are truly understanding their roles and that K will mix and match on any given night. K must really like coaching this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I may not be that good at counting, but I'm pretty sure it's TEN and Nine (rather than ELEVEN and Ten).
    You are correct. I got too excited.

Well, we have four experienced upper classmen plus an outstanding sophomore in Tre and added four talented freshmen, who seem committed to playing defense. Plus an asset in Joey Baker. As a result, we will wear out lesser teams with fewer ACC-caliber players.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'And the biggest reason of all is that K is finally listening to us and playing ten players -- about time!'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This was Moore’s best game and it was wonderful to see. He still had some moments where he was thinking too much or moving too fast, but for the most part he was great tonight. 6&year=2020[/url]
    I still think the Georgetown game was his best. I didn't see much from him last night, at least on the offensive end until mid 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Crikey, what a dunk by Jack White in the 2nd half!
    I may have missed the thread, but is anyone keeping up with the team dunk stats this year? I know we don't have as many as the last couple of years, but still enough to enjoy with some expected highlight reel dunks by Cassius.

i'm guessing that in his heart of hearts K is still most comfortable with finding his seven players to ride, but I'd be fine if Duke never "figured out" who the main "wing" players are going to be and it stayed fluid all year. The conurbation of White, Stanley, O'Connell, Moore, Hurt, and Baker gives the team a great deal of flexibility and variety to meet various game situations and will make it that much harder for opponents to prepare for the games.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    i'm guessing that in his heart of hearts K is still most comfortable with finding his seven players to ride, but I'd be fine if Duke never "figured out" who the main "wing" players are going to be and it stayed fluid all year. The conurbation of White, Stanley, O'Connell, Moore, Hurt, and Baker gives the team a great deal of flexibility and variety to meet various game situations and will make it that much harder for opponents to prepare for the games.
    A conurbation is a region comprising a number of cities, large towns, and other urban areas that, through population growth and physical expansion, have merged to form one continuous urban or industrially developed area.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    I may have missed the thread, but is anyone keeping up with the team dunk stats this year? I know we don't have as many as the last couple of years, but still enough to enjoy with some expected highlight reel dunks by Cassius.
    I thought White likely traveled before that dunk and one other play in 2nd half. Didn’t he lose control of the ball before the drive, grab it again and then drive. Anyone with better look?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I thought White likely traveled before that dunk and one other play in 2nd half. Didn’t he lose control of the ball before the drive, grab it again and then drive. Anyone with better look?
    Ball was touched by defensive player. He’s allowed to regain control. No travel.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    There was a play were perhaps Jack White double dribbled. Cory Alexander pointed it out but if the refs don’t call it, it didn’t happen.
    Bob Green

i'm really excited to see so many in the rotation...i know that's got to be hard on the other team's d-plan...

go duke !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Raise your hand if you thought that J-Gold would be shooting the 3 at a better rate than AOC this year? Also, raise your hand if you thought AOC would have the worst 3FG% of players who have made at least one 3?
    I don't mean this to rag on AOC, just goes to show that our expectations for players can miss the mark. Hopefully this is just a snapshot of a moment during the year and by the end of the year AOC will have adjusted, grown and recovered his shooting stroke.