Which is worse?:

Pouring a big bowl of cereal and realizing there is no milk?
    OR
    Pouring a big bowl of cereal and milk and later finding out the milk is sour

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    OR
    Easy, pouring a big bowl of cereal and mild and finding out the milk is sour.

The worst that happened to me (years ago although I'm still scarred) was being about 1/2 way thru a bowl of cereal before discovering big black ants in my bowl. I don't know that I handled that particular situation with a much grace!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    The worst that happened to me (years ago although I'm still scarred) was being about 1/2 way thru a bowl of cereal before discovering big black ants in my bowl.
    oohh gross.

Does anyone, beside me, eat cereal without milk anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    Does anyone, beside me, eat cereal without milk anyway?
    Heck no, I'm too busy killin' ants!

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

The worst that happened to me (years ago although I'm still scarred) was being about 1/2 way thru a bowl of cereal before discovering big black ants in my bowl.
    I've got the munchies and don't feel like making dinner just yet. This thread caused a serious cereal craving. Your post just cured that so dinner it is.

OJ is a good substitute.

i eat certain cereals dry (i.e. chex, cheerios).

Realizing the milk is sour is easily the worst. I remember a streak of about 2 weeks my freshman year when the marketplace (freshman dining hall) only had sour milk. GROSS!!

OR
    I'll top both of those with:

making a big, yummy, lifesaving/day-starting pot of coffee, pouring yourself the perfect cup, adding the *required* splash of milk, and realizing the milk just curdled. (Only made worse if you didn't see the curlding, and took a sip.)

Once when I was about five or six, I decided to prepare myself a giant, delicious glass of chocolate milk (quite a task, if you recall, when you're five or six). It happened to be Christmastime, so in addition to a nearly full gallon jug of milk, there was a much less full of what appeared to be milk in the fridge. Naturally, I chose the much less full jug, since spillage is a constant threat when you're five or six and pouring your own beverages.
    Little did I know that the less-full jug in fact held egg nog (of the homemade, quite alcoholic variety), rather than milk. Imagine my surprise (and the twisted look on my face) when, proud of my giant, delicious glass of chocolate milk, I downed the first gulp, to be greeted with thick chocolate egg nog, with the distinctive flavor of brandy. It was not especially pleasant.
    Now of course, I have discovered the joy of egg nog (especially my mother's perfect homemade egg nog), and I'm mostly just mad at myself for wasting that much of it.

Momentary thread hijack

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Now of course, I have discovered the joy of egg nog (especially my mother's perfect homemade egg nog), and I'm mostly just mad at myself for wasting that much of it.
    OOh, the SO and I were discussing that it is now officially the "nog*" season (we start seeing signs for egg nog lattes everywhere) and we needed to learn how to make it ourselves. Do you have a recipe, pretty pretty please?

(*Is there any other kind of nog besides egg nog?)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Do you have a recipe, pretty pretty please?

I could probably dig it up. Gimme some time to do a bit of legwork. I don't imagine Mom would begrudge me that request. Be forewarned, though-it's probably not the easiest thing in the world, and it's definitely not the healthiest thing in the world.

Finding half a worm inside the apple you just took your first bite from.

I refuse to drink milk even if the expiration date is the following day.

Not sure why I am so anal but damn it bothers me

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDawg View Post
    I refuse to drink milk even if the expiration date is the following day.

Not sure why I am so anal but damn it bothers me
    I drink so much milk that this is never an issue for me. I go through a bag of milk (yes, we get milk in bags...three smaller bags contained within a larger bag) in a maximum of two days.

Ugh

Milk is sour. No contest. yuk

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    OOh, the SO and I were discussing that it is now officially the "nog*" season (we start seeing signs for egg nog lattes everywhere) and we needed to learn how to make it ourselves. Do you have a recipe, pretty pretty please?

Obviously, I'm not Wilson, but I'll put my grandma's egg nog up against anyone else's. And if I lose, may I be cursed to drink only the store bought crap egg nog...

This egg nog is MUCH thinner than the gooey stuff you buy at the stores in a carton, but it's very rich and yummy, and quick and easy to make.

Grandma Susie's Egg Nog
    Ingredients:

6 eggs
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. bourbon (I use black label Jack.)
    1/3 c. rum (I use Bacardi white.)
    1 qt. half and half
    1 qt. whipping cream

Beat the eggs until they're lemony. Add sugar a little at a time. Add bourbon and rum VERY slowly, especially at first. Add the half and half and whipping cream.

Serve sprinkled with nutmeg.

This can be quite rich, with all the milk fat, and has only a mild punch from the alcohol. If you want something a little thinner, you can sub whole milk for part or all of the half and half. I usually make it as described, and it's delicious.

This will make about 3 qts. of egg nog, which is 12 or so 8 oz. servings. That's usually enough for me, but my Aunt Maurianne typically doubles the recipe.

Note - you don't cook the eggs here, which some will say is a no-no, but between my grandma, my aunt, and me, we've been making this every year for the last 60-70 years, and no one's every gotten sick. My aunt contends that the alcohol kills off any bacteria in the eggs. However, due to the lack of cooking, I would refrain from trying to make this without the booze.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”