How to make a movie

Not sure where this would fit so I am starting a new thread.

George Miller, of Mad Max fame, did an interview with Deadline where he spoke about his upcoming projects and a lot of other stuff (including a Fury Road sequel). Anyway, there was a portion of the interview where the interviewer talks about how much he loved the deformed guitar-playing henchman in Fury Road.

Miller said this about it and I think this is such great advice for anyone making a story.

Sure, the character – called Coma-Doof Warrior – was a visual spectacle, an apocalyptic Eddie Van Halen complete with flames shooting out of his musical instrument – but Miller laid out for me an entire backstory for the character that viewers never saw.

“I would like to think he’s still alive, somehow,” Miller said as I expressed hope that the character returns for the next film even though his condition at film’s end was uncertain. “In fact, we’ve got a whole backstory on how he came to be in that position. I often think about it. The approach to the film was, you have to be able to explain everything. Not only all the characters, but every object, how it all found its way into this world and how it survived. In his case, he was blind from birth. When things started going a bit crazy, he and his mother were left in a mining town. The only way they could survive was to go into a place where there was a competitive advantage to being blind. And that was to go deep down into a mine shaft where they were able to survive. He took what was most precious to him, a musical instrument, probably a guitar.”

As for how he wound up strapped to one of Immortan Joe’s death vehicles, Miller said: “As they were careening through the wasteland, someone heard this music echoing out of that mine shaft, went down there and luckily they saw him as an asset. I think they killed his mother because she wasn’t of any use. They took him and he eventually ended up as the equivalent of the drummer, the fife player or the bagpiper, in Immortan Joe’s army.”

Miller said each and every character, from Theron’s one-armed Furiosa to Nicholas Hoult’s Nux, had an equally deep backstory.
    Think about the attention to detail in your story to have a whole backstory that will never be revealed for even a minor character who does not have any lines and is really little more than eye candy! That's a writer who has every notion of this story thought out. I am in awe of Miller's abilities!

-Jason "please let the Fury Road sequel happen soon!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

George Miller, of Mad Max fame, did an interview with Deadline where he spoke about his upcoming projects and a lot of other stuff (including a Fury Road sequel). Anyway, there was a portion of the interview where the interviewer talks about how much he loved the deformed guitar-playing henchman in Fury Road.

Miller said this about it and I think this is such great advice for anyone making a story.

Think about the attention to detail in your story to have a whole backstory that will never be revealed for even a minor character who does not have any lines and is really little more than eye candy! That's a writer who has every notion of this story thought out. I am in awe of Miller's abilities!

Your post reminds me of one of my favorite details in Die Hard, involving the scene in which Hans interrogates Mr. Takagi.

Karl and Theo are also in the room, and place a bet on whether Takagi will reveal the vault code. Theo wins, and Karl pays Theo. It all sort of happens in the background and is never explained. Theo technically has a related line "I told you," but from the way the scene is shot you assume he's talking to Hans, not Karl.

It's a great example of attention to detail and building something more than just a Potemkin village for the audience to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Can George Miller come up with a plausible backstory to explain why ol' roy won't call timeouts?

"He was born in a region where calling timeout required the sacrifice of a loved one. Poor roy never really recovered from calling the timeout in overtime that likely won the state championship but cost the life of his beloved grandmother …"