Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Still need Clemson to win to push that direction. Virginia beating Clemson would be Exhibit A for why conference champions shouldn't get auto-bids, and we're not getting to 8 teams without auto-bids for the 5 conference champions.
    Sure, and I was already planning not to support that particular chaos element. The ACC is weak enough with an undefeated Klempson representing it as champion. We don't need #24 UVa to be the champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    So, who would be the #8?
    Oh, that's easy. The winner of Memphis/Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Oh, that's easy. The winner of Memphis/Cincinnati.
    And two loss Cincy (currently #20 in the CFP rankings) keeps out whom? Stray Gator, by way of example, might want a word ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

And two loss Cincy (currently #20 in the CFP rankings) keeps out whom? Stray Gator, by way of example, might want a word ...
    Life is not fair. Folks would have to deal with it.

An 8 team playoff would dictate 6 automatic bids and 2 wild cards. Conference Champions are in.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’m fine with four.

What is more interesting — arguing about who is 4/5, or who is 8/9?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m fine with four.

What is more interesting — arguing about who is 4/5, or who is 8/9?
    68/69

68/69
    True. Football would argue about which 2-loss team was left out; in basketball we get to argue about which P5 team with a .500 league average should play an almost-always meaningless play-in game.

(I love hoops, but as Cut said years ago — every weekend is a playoff game in football. Embrace the difference, I say)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, we are somewhat overdue for a thread dedicated to this, so...

538 says that LSU only has a 63% chance of making the playoffs... if LSU loses to Ga, 538 seems to think there is a very good chance Oklahoma or Utah or Baylor will pass them.

That’s pretty much insane, right? I mean, iF LSU gets blown out and loses two or three star players to injury I could see it but if they merely lose a fairly normal game, they have to still be in. No other 1-loss team has nearly as good a resume as LSU does.

-Jason "someone explain the '1-loss LSU isn't among the 4-best teams' logic to me" Evans

P.S. - And while I am at it, can someone please explain how Ohio State misses the playoff if they lose to Wisconsin? Come on!!
    LSU and Ohio State are locks to make the Playoff regardless of whether or not they lose in their conference championship game. And Clemson is almost a lock. The only spot that is most likely available is the fourth spot, and if Georgia beats LSU they get it. And even if Georgia loses they have a good shot at getting the fourth spot if they play LSU close throughout and the game goes down to the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    LSU and Ohio State are locks to make the Playoff regardless of whether or not they lose in their conference championship game. And Clemson is almost a lock. The only spot that is most likely available is the fourth spot, and if Georgia beats LSU they get it. And even if Georgia loses they have a good shot at getting the fourth spot if they play LSU close throughout and the game goes down to the wire.
    Agree with this up to the point where Georgia could be in with a loss. Don't see that happening..

I don’t see a two-loss UGA getting in when one of those losses was to South Carolina. Heck, Alabama at that point should get in before the Dawgs although I think a non-SEC team trumps the Tide politically if not on the merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

An 8 team playoff would dictate 6 automatic bids and 2 wild cards. Conference Champions are in.
    Champions of which conferences? MWC (Boise)? American (Cincy/Memphis)? Sun Belt (App)?

I don’t see a two-loss UGA getting in when one of those losses was to South Carolina. Heck, Alabama at that point should get in before the Dawgs although I think a non-SEC team trumps the Tide politically if not on the merits.
    Either Oklahoma or Baylor will emerge from their game on Saturday as a 1-loss Big 12 conference champion. I can't envision a scenario in which any 2-loss team would be given a berth in the playoff over a 1-loss Power 5 conference champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Either Oklahoma or Baylor will emerge from their game on Saturday as a 1-loss Big 12 conference champion. I can't envision a scenario in which any 2-loss team would be given a berth in the playoff over a 1-loss Power 5 conference champion.
    Exactly. Plus Utah is -6.5 against Oregon, so they could well be two 12-1 teams along with three potential 13-0 teams in LSU, tOSU (-16) and Clemson (-28.5) before we worry about 11-2 teams. (Obviously If UGA +4 beats LSU, there are three or four one-loss teams, plus a likely two undefeated teams who at worse would fall into the one-loss category).
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 12-05-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Baylor hasn’t proven all that much. And frankly, they’re kind of a dud. They don’t have much tradition or name recognition. They don’t have any star players. They don’t have a big name coach. Their fans don’t travel. Their school isn’t exactly exciting or captivating. Why would ANYONE — college football fans, the media, the committee that chooses which teams make the Playoff — want Baylor?

I think they have basically zero shot of getting in, regardless of whether or not they beat Oklahoma. The committee will choose a two-loss Georgia over a one-loss Baylor if Georgia plays an exciting, close game with unbeaten powerhouse LSU. I promise you.

Baylor hasn’t proven all that much. And frankly, they’re kind of a dud. They don’t have much tradition or name recognition. They don’t have any star players. They don’t have a big name coach. Their fans don’t travel. Their school isn’t exactly exciting or captivating. Why would ANYONE — college football fans, the media, the committee that chooses which teams make the Playoff — want Baylor?

I think they have basically zero shot of getting in, regardless of whether or not they beat Oklahoma. The committee will choose a two-loss Georgia over a one-loss Baylor if Georgia plays an exciting, close game with unbeaten powerhouse LSU. I promise you.
    When the Southwest Conference disbanded, the state schools -- Texas, A&M and Texas Tech joined Oklahoma and the Big Eight. One private school joined them -- Baylor -- not SMU, TCU or Rice. Shows the Baptist are stronger there than the Methodists, the Christian sect, or the agnostics. Baylor has a sizable and loyal fan base.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    When the Southwest Conference disbanded, the state schools -- Texas, A&M and Texas Tech joined Oklahoma and the Big Eight. One private school joined them -- Baylor -- not SMU, TCU or Rice. Shows the Baptist are stronger there than the Methodists, the Christian sect, or the agnostics. Baylor has a sizable and loyal fan base.
    You make an interesting point, Sage, but I have to tell you I spent much of my childhood in Texas and I do not remember encountering or even hearing about more than a handful of people who were Baylor fans. There were TONS of Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma fans, quite a few A&M fans, a decent number of SMU fans (especially during the Eric Dickerson/Craig James years), some Tech fans, and even TCU fans here and there. But Baylor? Not really.

By the way, have you ever been to Waco? If not, please don’t go. If you have been, I’m sorry.

True. Football would argue about which 2-loss team was left out; in basketball we get to argue about which P5 team with a .500 league average should play an almost-always meaningless play-in game.

(I love hoops, but as Cut said years ago — every weekend is a playoff game in football. Embrace the difference, I say)
    for football, 6 w/ 2 byes is ideal for me most years. it's unlikely you're deciding between 2 p5 conference winners with gaudy records, there's space for a "wild card" like utah, and schools like clemson or LSU (assuming they win) get some benefit for being top 2. then we get to argue about the byes as well, so still plenty to argue about!
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It was my understanding that at the time, they had the politicians that forced the state schools to take them with them to the Big Eight/Twelve. Wasn’t really anything about the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    for football, 6 w/ 2 byes is ideal for me most years. it's unlikely you're deciding between 2 p5 conference winners with gaudy records, there's space for a "wild card" like utah, and schools like clemson or LSU (assuming they win) get some benefit for being top 2. then we get to argue about the byes as well, so still plenty to argue about!
    I would probably rather just have 8, but 6 with byes would be really good too.

You make an interesting point, Sage, but I have to tell you I spent much of my childhood in Texas and I do not remember encountering or even hearing about more than a handful of people who were Baylor fans. There were TONS of Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma fans, quite a few A&M fans, a decent number of SMU fans (especially during the Eric Dickerson/Craig James years), some Tech fans, and even TCU fans here and there. But Baylor? Not really.

By the way, have you ever been to Waco? If not, please don’t go. If you have been, I’m sorry.
    Let me quote Jerry Jeff Walker's version of Charlie Pride's "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?"

Is anybody goin' to San Antone
    Or Phoenix Arizona
    Anyplace is alright as long as I
    Don't have to go to Waco
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013