Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Really amazing to think Duke beat Baylor last year. What a tale of two seasons with programs seemingly going in different directions.

Duke absolutely dominated them in Waco, with Quentin at the helm.
    Bizarro world

Oklahoma wins 30 - 23. If LSU beats Georgia, the Sooners should be in the CFP.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Oklahoma wins 30 - 23. If LSU beats Georgia, the Sooners should be in the CFP.
    Georgia should not have to win to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Meh. I’ll take the Big Five conference champion with one loss over the 2 loss non conference champion - without even looking at strength of schedule. Every. Single. Time.

I have no love for OU, but if LSU wins, they are in. And Baylor should have been too under same circumstances had they won.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Meh. I’ll take the Big Five conference champion with one loss over the 2 loss non conference champion - without even looking at strength of schedule. Every. Single. Time.

I have no love for OU, but if LSU wins, they are in. And Baylor should have been too under same circumstances had they won.
    Without a doubt. Even if Georgia loses by only 1 point in overtime, that still leaves them as a 2-loss team -- with one of those losses coming at home to a team that finished the season with a 4-8 record. How can such a loss be completely ignored? Unless Georgia beats LSU, I cannot understand what reasoning could justify giving them a berth in the playoff over a 1-loss Power 5 conference champion.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Georgia lost to South Carolina. In Athens.

If LSU wins, I would argue that Alabama has a better argument to get in that UGA. But neither would so it’s moot.

To me, LSU and Ohio State have been the most impressive teams all year. Both Oklahoma and Georgia had some pretty unimpressive performances against not the greatest opponents. Clemson has looked better since the UNC head scratcher, but the ACC is garbage. Whoever gets the fourth seed, which I assume will be Oklahoma, is just filling a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Georgia lost to South Carolina. In Athens.

If LSU wins, I would argue that Alabama has a better argument to get in that UGA. But neither would so it’s moot.
    I agree OPK.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Without a doubt. Even if Georgia loses by only 1 point in overtime, that still leaves them as a 2-loss team -- with one of those losses coming at home to a team that finished the season with a 4-8 record. How can such a loss be completely ignored? Unless Georgia beats LSU, I cannot understand what reasoning could justify giving them a berth in the playoff over a 1-loss Power 5 conference champion.
    Georgia has three wins — Florida, Notre Dame, and Auburn — that are better than any wins Baylor had, at least as far as I can tell. I don’t see how Baylor compares at all favorably to Georgia.

And frankly, those three Georgia wins are better than any Alabama win. So the way I see it Georgie easily had a more impressive season than Alabama or Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Georgia has three wins — Florida, Notre Dame, and Auburn — that are better than any wins Baylor had, at least as far as I can tell. I don’t see how Baylor compares at all favorably to Georgia.

And frankly, those three Georgia wins are better than any Alabama win. So the way I see it Georgie easily had a more impressive season than Alabama or Baylor.
    If Baylor had beaten OU, Baylor has a conference championship one less loss, and would have beaten OU which would have been better than Florida and arguably Auburn. They would also have not lost to a 4-8 team.

That’s all moot now though, though, so I’ll stop arguing it. Committee has it easy this year. Even if OSU loses. Oregon saw to that.

Why is Baylor even a subject of this discussion anymore? The Big 12 champion is Oklahoma, which has only 1 loss. If Georgia doesn't beat LSU, it will have 2 losses -- one of which is unquestionably the worst loss of any other contender -- and it will not be a conference champion. If the Playoff Committee were to award a berth to Georgia over Oklahoma under those circumstances, I believe the outrage would be nearly universal . . . and abundantly justified.

Georgia defense holds LSU to another FG. 20 - 3 LSU. Bulldogs offense has to get something going quickly.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Why is Baylor even a subject of this discussion anymore? The Big 12 champion is Oklahoma, which has only 1 loss. If Georgia doesn't beat LSU, it will have 2 losses -- one of which is unquestionably the worst loss of any other contender -- and it will not be a conference champion. If the Playoff Committee were to award a berth to Georgia over Oklahoma under those circumstances, I believe the outrage would be nearly universal . . . and abundantly justified.
    My point is that you don’t just count wins and losses. A combination of strength of schedule, signature wins, and wins and losses are what matters the most as far as I see it. So if a team (Georgia) with a tough strength of schedule, three signature wins, but who lost two games is compared to a team (Baylor had they beaten Oklahoma today) with a lesser strength of schedule, only one signature win, but who only lost one game, well, I would take the team (Georgia) with two losses, particularly if one of those losses were to what is quite possibly the best team (LSU) in the nation.

That’s all I was trying to say. I fully understand it is a moot point now, at least as far as Baylor is concerned. However, allow me to also add that if Georgia gets absolutely demolished by LSU, then it weakens their case considerably.
    Last edited by Steven43; 12-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Georgia might--not the qualifier--have had a case with an epic loss to LSU, 38-35 in double OT or some such. But the beatdown they are currently absorbing makes that a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Georgia might--not the qualifier--have had a case with an epic loss to LSU, 38-35 in double OT or some such. But the beatdown they are currently absorbing makes that a moot point.
    LSU is playing for the #1 seed dismantling Georgia 34 - 3.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep, Georgia is done. I knew LSU was good, but I didn’t think their defense could do what they are doing today to the Bulldogs. We’ll shortly see what Ohio State has got. It should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    LSU is playing for the #1 seed dismantling Georgia 34 - 3.
    And they deserve it, no matter what OSU does later tonight. They are the best team in the country. Then I think it’s a toss up between Ohio State and Clemson for second best. OU will get the fourth slot.

P.S. This is assuming Clemson’s defense decides to show up tonight.
    Last edited by SouthernDukie; 12-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Does anyone think Wisconsin has a chance at the fourth spot? They crushed No. 11 Michigan. They beat No. 18 Iowa. They destroyed No. 8 Minnesota on the road. And if they beat Ohio State tonight, on a neutral field, they will have just beaten a No. 1 ranked and previously undefeated demolition machine.

They would be 11-2 and a conference champion. And their only losses would have been by one point on the road at Illinois and at undefeated Ohio State. I would take them over a somewhat unimpressive Oklahoma any day.

Does anyone think Wisconsin has a chance at the fourth spot? They crushed No. 11 Michigan. They beat No. 18 Iowa. They destroyed No. 8 Minnesota on the road. And if they beat Ohio State tonight, on a neutral field, they will have just beaten a No. 1 ranked and previously undefeated demolition machine.

They would be 11-2 and a conference champion. And their only losses would have been by one point on the road at Illinois and at undefeated Ohio State. I would take them over a somewhat unimpressive Oklahoma any day.
    I think they’d have to annihilate Ohio St. But it would be hard to justify putting Ohio St in ahead of Wisconsin in that scenario. If Wisconsin wins by 1-20 pts, I think you suggest they split the season series and Wiscy has the loss to Illinois to push Ohio St in.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I think they’d have to annihilate Ohio St. But it would be hard to justify putting Ohio St in ahead of Wisconsin in that scenario. If Wisconsin wins by 1-20 pts, I think you suggest they split the season series and Wiscy has the loss to Illinois to push Ohio St in.
    No, I’m saying they BOTH get in.