Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Something even stranger is possible: the Walton Belt might not get an NCAA Tournament bid. The Summit Conference has 9 teams but only the top 8 get bids for the conference tourney.
    Seems pretty unlikely the 9th place team in the conference would end up holding the belt.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Seems pretty unlikely the 9th place team in the conference would end up holding the belt.
    If everyone in the conference makes the conference tourney, by definition the winner of the conference would have the belt.

    ETA: looks like the top 8 make the tourney: http://www.thesummitleague.org/tourn...BB_Bracket.pdf

    So I guess if a low team beat the belt holder late in the season and finished last, the Walton Belt could die there.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If everyone in the conference makes the conference tourney, by definition the winner of the conference would have the belt.

    ETA: looks like the top 8 make the tourney: http://www.thesummitleague.org/tourn...BB_Bracket.pdf

    So I guess if a low team beat the belt holder late in the season and finished last, the Walton Belt could die there.
    this seems like the walton equivalent of rooting for the meteor! I like it!
    Dear kindly Sergeant Swofford
    You gotta understand
    It's just a class was offered
    every student in the land!
    Our students all are flunkies
    Our teachers all are chumps
    Golly Moses, a total garbage dump!

    Gee, Officer Swofford
    We're down on our knees
    'Cause we don't want to take down such a banner as these
    Gee, Officer Swofford
    What are we to do?
    Gee, Officer Swofford
    Swoff you!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    this seems like the walton equivalent of rooting for the meteor! I like it!
    True. Although I imagine that in such a scenario, the belt defaults to the Conference of Champions somehow.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    True. Although I imagine that in such a scenario, the belt defaults to the Conference of Champions somehow.
    i think we have a disputed-title scenario...and the next season starts with two contenders...the NCAA champion, and the last holder of the belt. eventually there will likely be a re-unification bout.
    Dear kindly Sergeant Swofford
    You gotta understand
    It's just a class was offered
    every student in the land!
    Our students all are flunkies
    Our teachers all are chumps
    Golly Moses, a total garbage dump!

    Gee, Officer Swofford
    We're down on our knees
    'Cause we don't want to take down such a banner as these
    Gee, Officer Swofford
    What are we to do?
    Gee, Officer Swofford
    Swoff you!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nebraska lost to North Dakota on Saturday, so they now hold the belt. North Dakota travels to Oregon State this weekend, so, much to Walton's delight, the belt could be residing in the "Conference of Champions" shortly...
    Wish granted? Oregon State 83, North Dakota 66.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Next up for the [70] Beavers:

    1/2 at [108] Utah

    1/5 @ [34] Colorado

    The belt could "go home" as soon as 1/23 when the Bruins visit Oregon State, but ORST would have to win its first 6 conference games to hold the belt for UCLA.

    No out of conference play remaining for any Pac-12 team, so the Conference of Champions will carry the belt to the NCCAT.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    The Walton Belt now resides in Utah as the Utes beat Oregon State tonight.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Next up for the Utes (100):

    vs. Oregon (11) 1/4 in SLC

    and

    @ Colorado (27) 1/12

    so, in other words, odds are fairly strong it won't stay in Mormon-land for long.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Yep

    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Next up for the Utes (100):

    vs. Oregon (11) 1/4 in SLC

    and

    @ Colorado (27) 1/12

    so, in other words, odds are fairly strong it won't stay in Mormon-land for long.
    Oregon beat Utah, so the Walton Belt resumes its travel!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    So the Walton Belt currently resides in Eugene.

    Oregon took it under their wing from the Utes on 1/4 and almost laid an egg for the Wildcats on 1/9 but held on.

    Then they swam away from our man Bobby and ASU.

    Looks as though it may keep floating in the duck pond until mid-February when Colorado comes to town (only game left vs. top 25 team.) unless they take a dive in conference play.

    Next few games...

    (16)Oregon -

    @ Washington State (151) tonight

    @ Washington (46) 1/18

    vs USC (74) 1/23

    vs UCLA (146) 1/26

    @ Cal (179) 1/30
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  12. #32
    I've developed a definite queasiness about Walton since he licked the camera lens and rambled on about peanut butter during an AZ game last week.

    Not a good feeling. He really should wear that football helmet every day, all day.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I've developed a definite queasiness about Walton since he licked the camera lens and rambled on about peanut butter during an AZ game last week.

    Not a good feeling. He really should wear that football helmet every day, all day.
    I know there usually isn't with Bill, but...was there any context to the camera licking?

    I love Bill. He's just a goofball Deadhead basketball player who took one too many "hits" to the head.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I know there usually isn't with Bill, but...was there any context to the camera licking?

    lol, yes, he was rambling on about how peanut butter is the perfect food up in Oregon (whaa'?) and that he wanted to smear some on his partner's bald dome and then he scooped his finger into the jar, licked it off his finger and then leaned in to lick the lens of the camera filming this nauseating exchange.

    You can see I am obviously traumatized. Plenty of screaming and yucking-yacking in the tv room of weezie.

    Likely he was high.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Likely he was high.
    Did you read the second line in my post that you quoted?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    lol, yes, he was rambling on about how peanut butter is the perfect food up in Oregon (whaa'?) and that he wanted to smear some on his partner's bald dome and then he scooped his finger into the jar, licked it off his finger and then leaned in to lick the lens of the camera filming this nauseating exchange.

    You can see I am obviously traumatized. Plenty of screaming and yucking-yacking in the tv room of weezie.

    Likely he was high.
    I was listening to the game on XM radio and if he wasn't high, he has some permanent brain damage from years of being high. His partner was trying his best to get him back to the game but all Bill wanted to do was talk about peanut butter and like weezie said, smear it on the guys bald head. When Walton's doing a game on tv, the mute button is my best friend. It's shame that a player as good as he was has sunk this low. I can't see how he keeps his job. He must have some pretty bad pictures on someone.

    GoDuke!

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I was listening to the game on XM radio and if he wasn't high, he has some permanent brain damage from years of being high. His partner was trying his best to get him back to the game but all Bill wanted to do was talk about peanut butter and like weezie said, smear it on the guys bald head. When Walton's doing a game on tv, the mute button is my best friend. It's shame that a player as good as he was has sunk this low. I can't see how he keeps his job. He must have some pretty bad pictures on someone.

    GoDuke!
    No one really watches PAC 12? bball since they’re no longer relevant. Guess they think Walton adds entertainment value and maybe he doesn’t remember to cash the checks.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Looks as though it may keep floating in the duck pond until mid-February when Colorado comes to town (only game left vs. top 25 team.) unless they take a dive in conference play.

    Next few games...

    (16)Oregon -

    @ Washington State (151) tonight
    Let me stop you right there. Washington State 72, Oregon 61. The Cougars take the belt.

    Here are WSU's next few games:

    vs. Oregon State (Saturday)

    And that's it. Let's just see if they win that one before we comment or even think further.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Let me stop you right there. Washington State 72, Oregon 61. The Cougars take the belt.

    Here are WSU's next few games:

    vs. Oregon State (Saturday)

    And that's it. Let's just see if they win that one before we comment or even think further.
    Yet another example of how hard it is to win on the road in D1 hoops.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Let me stop you right there. Washington State 72, Oregon 61. The Cougars take the belt.

    Here are WSU's next few games:

    vs. Oregon State (Saturday)

    And that's it. Let's just see if they win that one before we comment or even think further.
    Well, that was quick...

    Washington State puts a feather in their cap. Let's see if the Cougars can handle the young men of Oregon State. (Sorry, it just happens... )
    Last edited by Nrrrrvous; 01-17-2020 at 07:48 AM. Reason: brain fart
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Similar Threads

  1. G League Thread 2019-20 Edition
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: Yesterday, 12:32 AM
  2. MBB: Dork Polls 2019-20 Edition
    By dukelion in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-18-2020, 04:17 PM
  3. The Walton Belt (2018-19 edition)
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM
  4. The Bill Walton Belt, 2017-2018
    By bedeviled in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM
  5. The Walton Rankings - 2015 edition
    By uh_no in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •