Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Dell had a smooth shot -- still does, I'm sure. The media guide shows a gap from 1978 to 2005 when Duke didn't play VT, so I guess you saw Dell in Roanoke against somebody else.
    I guess the old memory is fading because I thought Dell played on the team I saw in Roanoke, Va. But facts are facts.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I guess the old memory is fading because I thought Dell played on the team I saw in Roanoke, Va. But facts are facts.

GoDuke!
    You probably saw Del McCoury playing bluegrass in Roanoke during that timeframe.

Come on out of the closet, it's refreshing to be a Del-Head, which is really a thing!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    FWIW, Ken the Pomeranian has us by five points...ACC road games rarely are easy.
    Interesting that KenPom still has Duke at #3, while SFA is at 202.

I went to Blacksburg the year before last during our Christmas break. The gym is extremely loud as the Hokie fans are really into the game. I was surrounded by them in the stands. It was a bit weird but they were really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I think MSU is still among the top teams as well. They were #1 before our game even though they already had two losses at that point. I like having metrics like KenPom but this early in the season I don’t find them to be all that useful. They are still heavily affected by preseason rankings.

Also given that SFA was like #280 before they played us, that’s a pretty significant jump to improve by 80 spots. But I agree they should be in the top 100 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    It's not surprising. The average of a bunch of computer rankings also has Duke at #3 as of this past Sunday, and I suspect we go up after the MSU win gets counted: https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Currently, Sagarin has Duke #1, T-rank has Duke #6, BPI has Duke #1. Those are some notable computer rankings in addition to kenpom's #3 for us.

I think all the low self-esteem Duke fans (not you BandAlum83) are just going to have to deal with the fact that we have another very good team this season and all the high expectations that come with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think MSU is still among the top teams as well. They were #1 before our game even though they already had two losses at that point. I like having metrics like KenPom but this early in the season I don’t find them to be all that useful. They are still heavily affected by preseason rankings.
    That gets stated a lot around here and elsewhere, but is it really true? For example, I went back 1 year, and here are the top 10 in kenpom's rankings on December 5, 2018. (Link for subscribers is here: https://kenpom.com/archive.php?d=2018-12-05 )

1. Duke
    2. Kansas
    3. UVA
    4. Gonzaga
    5. Michigan
    6. Nevada
    7. UNC
    8. Auburn
    9. Michigan St
    10. Texas Tech

So the three teams that many considered to be a cut above -- Duke, UVA, Gonzaga -- were already three of the top 4 teams in kenpom. And, as for tournament success, the top 10 captures all 4 Final Four teams and two additional Elite 8 teams. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think all the low self-esteem Duke fans (not you BandAlum83) are just going to have to deal with the fact that we have another very good team this season and all the high expectations that come with that.
    I think it's a little bit low self-esteem and a little bit "I don't see Zion out there".

I tend to also believe that the real Duke team is the one that showed up against Kansas, Georgetown, MSU - not the one that showed up against SFA. I expect SFA was an extremely valuable teaching tool for this young team. Not that Coach would ever not try to win a game, but...

VPI will get a lot of lay ups tonight. Vernon needs to dominate. Go Devils. Run em off that three point line.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Just realized we are playing tonight. Friday night game? We live in strange times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just realized we are playing tonight. Friday night game? We live in strange times.
    I assume the ACC did not want to compete against the football title game tomorrow night.

But another day of rest from getting back from MSU in the middle of the night would have been nice.

Anyone know if Cassius Stanley will play tonight?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I always have...

If anyone knows of a free & safe link for watching the game, those of us who are caught in Comcast hell would be extremely grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Anyone know if Cassius Stanley will play tonight?
    https://twitter.com/TheDevilsDen/sta...123336192?s=19

In uniform!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    If anyone knows of a free & safe link for watching the game, those of us who are caught in Comcast hell would be extremely grateful.
    I don't have a link but Google Reddit college basketball streams and some links should be there. I'm also in Comcast no ACCN territory.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I always have...
    Is that you, Mr. Walton?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Official Duke MBB tweeter sez Stanley’s starting.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Certainly didn't expect this news!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Can’t get it here either, so taking Mrs.PK to a show.

ACCN is helping me realize how much time I burn in front of a TV. Good luck Devils, I’ll watch the highlights later.