Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tar Heels get tarred and feathered.

How about that Ohio State 74 - UNC 49?

That’s sweet. I couldn’t stay awake to watch but the AP write up reported that the Bucks broke it open in the second half, and also included this nugget:

“The Tar Heels were handed their second-worst loss in the Smith Center since moving here in January 1986, trailing only a 29-point defeat against Duke in 2002. It was also the lowest shooting percentage UNC had managed in the arena named for late Hall of Famer Dean Smith.”

Ohio State looks for real! Massive blow out road wins at Villanova and UNC.

Heels looked good...

Apparently Roy was not happy with the late start. Daggumit.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    That’s sweet. I couldn’t stay awake to watch but the AP write up reported that the Bucks broke it open in the second half, and also included this nugget:

“The Tar Heels were handed their second-worst loss in the Smith Center since moving here in January 1986, trailing only a 29-point defeat against Duke in 2002. It was also the lowest shooting percentage UNC had managed in the arena named for late Hall of Famer Dean Smith.”

Life for some one and done programs like UNC- not easy - is it? But losing your second best player and best big man is never good.

Excuses are just that - excuses. The game is played on the court. A 25 point drubbing at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Apparently Roy was not happy with the late start. Daggumit.
    What an idiot. Hey Roy, what time does the National Championship usually begin?

Let's not overlook the pounding of the hoo either.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Wink You hate to see it.

Hahahahaha

Not happy we lost the challenge even if UNC was one of the losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Not happy we lost the challenge even if UNC was one of the losers.

Yeah, well. I long ago gave up any conference rooting after the rising abuse from other fan bases towards Duke in the ACC. Let the Big Whatever have the moment in December.

As long as Duke wins, I'm happy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Second worst home loss in 56 years. That includes the final season at Woolen, entire tenure played at Carmichael and 35 seasons so far in the Smith Center.

The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss...and second, we can still give em grief for letting down the conference.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-05-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Language

Good news for the Tar Heels!

ol' roy managed to hoard another 5 time outs!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah, well. I long ago gave up any conference rooting after the rising abuse from other fan bases towards Duke in the ACC. Let the Big Whatever have the moment in December.

I honestly think I can pull for any ACC team except Carolina. Their fans are in a class of their own.

With no tests.

ABC, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss...and second, we can still give em sh-t for letting down the conference.
    If I got this right: we are now a ridiculous 19-2 in the challenge and the Cheats are 10-11. They’ve let down the ACC in both this and the academic challenge for decades.

Of course, Cheat fans will say we always get easy opponents.😡

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Weezie I feel ya on that. Back in my days as a yute, going to elementary school and middle school while UNC, NCSU and Maryland were consistently among the best in the nation, and Duke was struggling, there was still some pride in the ACC's national dominance...there were times where those three teams were in the top 4, usually with UCLA. About this time, Dean's Myth coached the US Olympic team, and there were like 7 ACC players out of 12 on the team, and when they played some exhibition games at State's Reynolds Coliseum, there were long and loud chants of A-C-C...from fans of all three Triangle teams. (Tate Armstrong was on that team).

To my memory, and of course media coverage wasn't as national or constant then, but I don't remember any other league having league pride back then. And with the small markets the ACC was in, with several smaller schools, that reputation and pride helped. The Big Ten and the SEC have long had bigger institutions with more money, but the ACC was still dominant.

I know some around DBR believe that the hatred today is the way it's always been. That may have been true to some extent, in some circles, but in the circles I traveled, and the one my parents traveled, it was totally different. My parents went back to the days of the Dixie Classic, and also the ACCT - and my parents, one Duke and one UNC, and a member of the original Iron Dukes football team and his wife (both Duke fans of course) and another couple who were UVa fans, all went together to every single ACCT from inception through 82, when my mom broke her leg and I was allowed to go in her place. A few years later, the Iron Duke died and the group ACCT thing ended, but that group had quite a run of consecutive tournaments, back when it meant something. That kind of relationship today would be impossible.

This all changed in the Triangle about the time Duke got as good or better than State and UNC. In the 70s, it seemed fans of those teams kind of looked at Duke as the little brother who might pull an upset from time to time but was no threat. By the time Duke was a legit threat, the Cheat fans especially went loco. And they've been getting worse ever since.

So I still pull for the ACC to win the Big Ten Challenge. And I like it when the conference does well in the NCAAT. But that really isn't as important to me as it once was, for the very same reason you mentioned.

To be fair, Bacot got hurt, Anthony had some kind of illness/fever and also got clubbed on the head, and less significantly they’ve been without Manley and Harris all season. That’s a lot to overcome. But I’m sure Roy isn’t happy with the effort. The team basically gave up with 10 minutes to go, after keeping it close for a half. OSU is a really solid team but they didn’t do anything spectacular.

Their shooting truly is abysmal. Anyone who thought Duke couldn’t shoot last year should watch this game. Their misses didn’t just miss, they were air balls or clanked off the outside part of the rim. Today is a good day.

Nothing could be finer than to see that carolina lost in the morning.😁

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss...and second, we can still give em sh-t for letting down the conference.
    ...and third, we still keep the #1 spot for all time Chapel Hill beatdowns.

I hate that Jay Bilas had to watch his boys lose in person... I bet he had a thousand excuses