Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Sure seems like it. But even Anthony isn't all that efficient. He clearly is the best player on that team, but he needs to be both efficient and others have to score for UNC to be effective. Tonight, neither has happened and it's a recipe for a blowout home loss.

Roy with a classic sub-in-a-whole-lineup-of-walkons move to show how upset he is with his players. They brought solid energy and briefly closed the deficit to single digits, getting the crowd into it. And classic Roy follows that up with bringing back the starters for them to promptly resume the best down and drop behind by 20+. Dadgummit.

- Chillin
    Roy finished the game with timeouts to spare, so at least it wasn't a total loss for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Is a one man team. Anthony is the real deal. The rest are a bunch of jags (just another guy).
    I would say a two man team. Bacot is pretty good and losing him killed any chance they had. After those two it's a quick drop off. Maybe the least overall talent of any Roy Williams coached UNC team?

MAN, that was a satisfying one. OSU just absolutely carved the Heels up in the second half. Tough for them to lose Bacot in the first half. That looked PAINFUL. Best wishes to him; an ankle twist that bad is pretty brutal. That said, I don't think he would have had all that much impact on the outcome. People will bring up the rebounding margin, but that seemed primarily due to the fact that UNC missed 8 zillion more shots rather than to OSU dominating the glass. The bigger problem for UNC was the static offense, which really did devolve for long stretches into "Cole Anthony please do something to rescue this possession" mode. (On the note of Anthony, he's definitely a terrifically talented player, but, if I'm an NBA scout, his poor finishing inside is a bit worrying. Whatever is wrong with his ankle at this point could be a huge factor there, of course.)

Regardless, I think we match up well with the Heels this year. Their big-man depth could be an issue for us if Carey/Javin get into foul trouble (of course, if all their bigs are hurt, as they are now, this problem isn't relevant). Otherwise, though, I think that a lot of the MSU gameplan (blitzing the talented PG to force others make plays, in particular) will apply pretty well to this year's UNC offense.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Is a one man team. Anthony is the real deal. The rest are a bunch of jags (just another guy).
    Bacot is pretty good too. If his ankle injury is serious UNC could be in for a long December. They have some tough games. I’d say Brooks and Robinson are also ACC starter level. Everyone else is like 8th or 9th man on a typical UNC team.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

What a terrible night for Chapel Hill — and, thus, what a great night for America.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I would say a two man team. Bacot is pretty good and losing him killed any chance they had. After those two it's a quick drop off. Maybe the least overall talent of any Roy Williams coached UNC team?
    Not even close. 2010 UNC was dreadful. Carolina is still a top-25 team.

If bacot’s injury is significant or if Anthony ever gets injured for any extent of time I can see this being a middle-of-the-ACC 8 seed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    What a terrible night for Chapel Hill — and, thus, what a great night for America.
    America? Try humanity!

GTHCGTH!

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    America? Try humanity!

GTHCGTH!
    I know it's super early and doesn't mean anything at this point, and that there's a good chance that Penn St is actually legit good this year, but I'm still loving this ranking sequence on KenPom after tonight:

UNC+PSU.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Monday
    [88]Miami (+8) at [41]Illinois (7:00, ESPN2)
    [70]Clemson (+3) at [77]Minnesota (9:00, ESPN2)
    Miami wins by 2 (ACC 1-0)
    Clemson loses by 18 (1-1)

Tuesday
    [130]Boston College (-1) hosts [107]Northwestern (7:00, ESPNU)
    [54]Syracuse (-3) hosts [48]Iowa (7:00, ESPN2)
    [2]Louisville (-8) hosts [10]Michigan (7:30, ESPN)
    [15]Florida State (+1) at [25]Indiana (9:00, ESPN2)
    [75]Pittsburgh (-3) hosts [71]Rutgers (9:00, ESPN2)
    [5]Duke (+5) at [1]Michigan State (9:30, ESPN)
    Boston College loses by 18 (Big Ten 2-1)
    Syracuse loses by 14 (Big Ten 3-1)
    Louisville wins by 18 (Big Ten 3-2)
    Florida State loses by 16 (Big Ten 4-2)
    Pittsburgh wins by 11 (Big Ten 4-3)
    Duke wins by 12 (4-4)

Wednesday
    [3]Virginia (+2) at [13]Purdue (7:15, ESPN2)
    [72]Georgia Tech (-10) hosts [143]Nebraska (7:15, ESPNU)
    [52]Notre Dame (+10) at [8]Maryland (7:30, ESPN)
    [86]Wake Forest (+10) at [24]Penn State (9:15, ESPNU)
    [44]NC State (-4) hosts [57]Wisconsin (9:15, ESPN2)
    [12]North Carolina (-2) hosts [4]Ohio State (9:30, ESPN)
    Virginia loses by 29 (Big Ten 5-4)
    Georgia Tech wins by 17 (5-5)
    Notre Dame loses by 21 (Big Ten 6-5)
    Wake Forest loses by 22 (Big Ten 7-5)
    NC State wins by 15 (Big Ten 7-6)
    North Carolina loses by 25 (Big Ten 8-6)

It is equally insane how evenly matched this looked at the beginning of the week and how lopsided almost every game turned out to be.

Heels looked good.
    State looked good.
    Good night for basketball.

Omg. Just watching Sports Center and apparently Roy complained about a 9:30 tipoff being unreasonable!? This is based on subtitles at the bar for dinner, so maybe (hopefully) I missed something.

Couple thoughts: First, OSU also tipped off at the same time as uNC a few hundred miles away from home. Second , Duke tipped off at MSU at the same time, daggumit, and still played basketball. Third GTHCGTH.

Omg. Just watching Sports Center and apparently Roy complained about a 9:30 tipoff being unreasonable!? This is based on subtitles at the bar for dinner, so maybe (hopefully) I missed something.

Couple thoughts: First, OSU also tipped off at the same time as uNC a few hundred miles away from home. Second , Duke tipped off at MSU at the same time, daggumit, and still played basketball. Third GTHCGTH.
    Late games make him groggy when he has an early tee time the morning after.

Couple things...first, a 9:30 tip is unreasonable....and I think K would agree with that. Second, while I didn't hear the clip, I doubt he was using it as a reason why they lost. More of a general complaint. I think you're over reading this. Third, Roy was likely not comparing results with Duke's result. Totally irrelevant.

I mean enjoy the smackdown for what it was. And it was epic. Won me 500 on the Degenerate Gambling contest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Sure seems like it. But even Anthony isn't all that efficient. He clearly is the best player on that team, but he needs to be both efficient and others have to score for UNC to be effective. Tonight, neither has happened and it's a recipe for a blowout home loss.
    Agreed, Anthony actually has a sub-100 offensive rating so far this season, in large part because he's only shooting 38% on two-pointers. It's early but so far I would count this as Roy disappointing with a stud recruit again, although I suppose it's unlikely he'll keep Anthony past this season (knock on wood). I've said it before, but just because he had success with Coby White, who was only ranked around 25 and not regarded as OAD, doesn't mean Roy can duplicate that when the player is considered to be a top-10 OAD stud. I don't exactly know why the ranking would matter -- maybe Roy is a beta who gets nervous and stares at his shoes around high-end talent instead of coaching them -- but maybe it does. Again, let's just hope Anthony doesn't end up staying 3-4 years.

All that said, I expect Anthony to improve, and Roy gets his teams to peak in March. The Bacot injury might help Anthony finish better around the rim as it unclogs the paint. Brooks is probably better as a center than a PF anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In a spirit of ACC fraternity, I have been cheerfully rooting for UNC for the past 1:45 hours -- secure, however, in the knowledge that the Heels would never win an important Big Ten challenge game.
    I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Miami wins by 2 (ACC 1-0)
    Clemson loses by 18 (1-1)

Boston College loses by 18 (Big Ten 2-1)
    Syracuse loses by 14 (Big Ten 3-1)
    Louisville wins by 18 (Big Ten 3-2)
    Florida State loses by 16 (Big Ten 4-2)
    Pittsburgh wins by 11 (Big Ten 4-3)
    Duke wins by 12 (4-4)

Virginia loses by 29 (Big Ten 5-4)
    Georgia Tech wins by 17 (5-5)
    Notre Dame loses by 21 (Big Ten 6-5)
    Wake Forest loses by 22 (Big Ten 7-5)
    NC State wins by 15 (Big Ten 7-6)
    North Carolina loses by 25 (Big Ten 8-6)

It is equally insane how evenly matched this looked at the beginning of the week and how lopsided almost every game turned out to be.
    It does make you wonder how good the ACC will be this year. It is early and the teams are young but the highest ranking teams UNC and UVa looked really bad in their losses. You need your best teams to look good. If Duke had lost- that could have been a huge knock on the ACC moving forward.

Sunday UNC @ UVA

Really looking forward to a barn burner. T-Rank gives UVA a 71% chance of winning, score 58-53. Personally, I can't see either team breaking 50.

There are 4 outcomes that matter to me during the Challenge:
    1) Duke wins
    2) uNC loses
    3) Maryland loses
    4) ACC wins

That last one is a distant 4th, and it will always take a backseat to number 2. If the ACC has to lose the Challenge for uNC to lose, that's a price I'll happily pay.

I've got my checkbook ready, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Really looking forward to a barn burner. T-Rank gives UVA a 71% chance of winning, score 58-53. Personally, I can't see either team breaking 50.
    I am looking forward to that game, too. Regardless of the outcome, either way, after the game, UVa will have 2 Ls overall and 1 L in the ACC or UNC will have 3 Ls overall and 1 L in the ACC in early December. If Duke can take care of business tomorrow night in Blacksburg, it will be a great weekend!

Bacot for UNC rolled his ankle badly last night. He may be out or at least limited at UVa Sunday based on how the injury looked. He landed on another player’s foot coming down for a rebound and severely rolled it. Braxton Key is also out indefinitely for UVa. Both teams potentially won’t be at full strength.