Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Just accept an ACC loss instead.
    Or tie. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I really don’t want to have to root for the cheats in order for the ACC to win the challenge.
    Easy call. GTH,C.

Yep. I am willing to do that. Go Wolfpack!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Will the Cavaliers score 40?
    40 exactly.
    Bob Green

40 exactly.
    That was comical. Not sure how else to characterize it.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

40 exactly.
    I was really pulling for that last shot to rim out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    That was comical. Not sure how else to characterize it.
    Expect more of the same. Even as a UVA fan, I can tell this is going to be a loooong season if we can't get at least 1 or 2 guys to step up and shoot the 3ball at a decent volume and percentage.

We were 4-24 (16.7%) from 3 today, bringing us to a total of 38-160 (23.8%) on the season. That is BEYOND awful. The absolute lowest 3pt% in the last 5 years was 25.2% by Savannah State in 2015. Even with the line back an extra foot and change, I can't imagine we'll continue to shoot this poorly. There are DEFINITELY no Kyle Guy/Hunter/Jerome level shooters on this team, but there are guys who have proven capable at other levels that are shooting LESS than 20% on decent volume right now. It sure seems like at this point there's a giant mental block moreso than lack of shooting ability they're going to have to figure out how to break through. If they don't, we're going to eventually see every team just play a 2-3 with all 5 defenders with at least one foot in the paint at all times, literally daring us to shoot from further than 15 feet. It's going to get much, MUCH worse I'm afraid if we don't snap out of this funk. Maybe a nice long exam break is just what the Dr ordered to get these guys to "reset" mentally, b/c right now, they're struggling in a way I would have thought impossible.

I wouldn't have been shocked by a 30ish% 3pt team. But 23%? Yikes! With our D this is going to lead to ALL kinds of games in the 30s/40s/50s for both sides depending on the caliber of opponent.

Breaking News: Seth Greenberg says that Hunter, Guy and Jerome are not -- I repeat -- not walking through that door.

If you missed it, Seth will be repeating this line at least 12 more times by the end of the night.

I'll add one more thing to my last post here, that's a little more "Duke-centric". The UVA team got their first taste of what I'd refer to as "the Duke Effect" tonight. That Purdue team and crowd treated the game tonight like it was a national title game. Our guys showed up with average (at best) intensity and just got blown away when Purdue hit some huge threes early and got all the momentum that they NEVER relinquished. It really looked like our guys were not mentally prepared for the "punch in the mouth" Purdue was there to deliver and the energy/intensity from the crowd.

I can honestly say, I've never seen a team and fanbase SO hyped to beat UVa. That was crazier than our biggest games at VT... and I'm pretty sure this is the effort/intensity Duke gets in EVERY road game. Tough. Oh well, maybe ultimately it'll prepare us better for bigger games down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Yep. Hope was to beat Purdue in a closely matched game of Rock-Paper-Scissors when 3rd OT failed to break 0-0 tie. Since Boilermakers can score, there’s no Plan B.

Virginia basketball 2019: fun for the morbidly curious.
    Not enough rocks in the quarry?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I really don’t want to have to root for the cheats in order for the ACC to win the challenge.
    Never.

Yep. And then blame the cheats for, well, anything. 9F.

Looks like I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    First to 40 wins.
    Turns out it was first to 41.

EDIT: GTHCGTH!
    Last edited by JetpackJesus; 12-04-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: GTHCGTH!

I'll take that split vs. Purdue every single time

But yeah, we got murked tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not enough rocks in the quarry?

Virginia basketball 2019: we’re going to need some bigger rocks.

UNC

Is a one man team. Anthony is the real deal. The rest are a bunch of jags (just another guy).
    Windy City Devil

In a spirit of ACC fraternity, I have been cheerfully rooting for UNC for the past 1:45 hours -- secure, however, in the knowledge that the Heels would never win an important Big Ten challenge game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

There are 4 outcomes that matter to me during the Challenge:
    1) Duke wins
    2) uNC loses
    3) Maryland loses
    4) ACC wins

That last one is a distant 4th, and it will always take a backseat to number 2. If the ACC has to lose the Challenge for uNC to lose, that's a price I'll happily pay.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Is a one man team. Anthony is the real deal. The rest are a bunch of jags (just another guy).
    Sure seems like it. But even Anthony isn't all that efficient. He clearly is the best player on that team, but he needs to be both efficient and others have to score for UNC to be effective. Tonight, neither has happened and it's a recipe for a blowout home loss.

Roy with a classic sub-in-a-whole-lineup-of-walkons move to show how upset he is with his players. They brought solid energy and briefly closed the deficit to single digits, getting the crowd into it. And classic Roy follows that up with bringing back the starters for them to promptly resume the beat down and drop behind by 20+. Dadgummit.

- Chillin
    Last edited by ChillinDuke; 12-04-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Myth dome is virtually empty. Delicious.

Ol’ Roy is gonna be a blast at the post game presser.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block