Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 12/2-12/8 (including ACC/Big10)

It's ACC/Big 10 week plus conference play on the weekend. ACC is a slight underdog, although each conference is a favorite in 7 games (every home team is favored, per Pomeroy). Big activity for early December. At least the mid-week games are on real networks; sadly, like many others, the only watching of ACC games I will be doing this weekend is via the box score.

Monday
    [88]Miami (+8) at [41]Illinois (7:00, ESPN2)
    [70]Clemson (+3) at [77]Minnesota (9:00, ESPN2)

Tuesday
    [130]Boston College (-1) hosts [107]Northwestern (7:00, ESPNU)
    [54]Syracuse (-3) hosts [48]Iowa (7:00, ESPN2)
    [2]Louisville (-8) hosts [10]Michigan (7:30, ESPN)
    [15]Florida State (+1) at [25]Indiana (9:00, ESPN2)
    [75]Pittsburgh (-3) hosts [71]Rutgers (9:00, ESPN2)
    [5]Duke (+5) at [1]Michigan State (9:30, ESPN)

Wednesday
    [3]Virginia (+2) at [13]Purdue (7:15, ESPN2)
    [72]Georgia Tech (-10) hosts [143]Nebraska (7:15, ESPNU)
    [52]Notre Dame (+10) at [8]Maryland (7:30, ESPN)
    [86]Wake Forest (+10) at [24]Penn State (9:15, ESPNU)
    [44]NC State (-4) hosts [57]Wisconsin (9:15, ESPN2)
    [12]North Carolina (-2) hosts [4]Ohio State (9:30, ESPN)

Thursday is dark

Friday
    [56]Virginia Tech (1-0) (+4) hosts [5]Duke (0-0) (7:00, ACCN)
    [2]Louisville (1-0) (-14) hosts [75]Pittsburgh (1-0) (9:00, ACCN)

Saturday
    [72]Georgia Tech (1-0) (-1) hosts [54]Syracuse (0-1) (12:00, ACCN)
    [52]Notre Dame (0-1) (-11) hosts [130]Boston College (0-1) (2:00, ESPNU)
    [86]Wake Forest (0-1) (+1) hosts [44]NC State (0-1) (2:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    [15]Florida State (0-1) (-11) hosts [70]Clemson (0-1) (2:00, ACCN)
    [3]Virginia (1-0) (-6) hosts [12]North Carolina (1-0) (4:00, ACCN)

ACC Non-Conference: 75-20
    ACC vs. Power 5: 13-10

America East: 2-0
    American: 2-2
    Atlantic-10: 2-3
    Atlantic Sun:
    Big XII: 3-2
    Big East: 1-1
    Big Sky: 1-0
    Big South: 8-0
    Big Ten: 3-2
    Big West: 1-0
    Colonial: 5-0
    CUSA: 4-1
    Horizon: 3-0
    Ivy: 3-0
    MAAC:
    MAC: 2-0
    MEAC: 5-0
    MVC: 2-0
    MWC: 1-0
    Northeast: 7-0
    Ohio Valley: 0-1
    Pac-12: 3-2
    Patriot: 4-0
    SEC: 3-3
    Southern: 2-0
    Southland: 1-2
    Sun Belt: 2-0
    SWAC: 3-0
    WAC: 2-0
    WCC: 0-1
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

ACC-B1G Challenge

Can anyone explain why Illinois sucks so bad? Maybe they’ll come back in this game but they look so bad and they’re not playing a really good team. The state produces good prospects. Northwestern isn’t much competition for recruits. It’s not like they’re a football school. They’ve been good at basketball in the past. Why are they so bad now?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Can anyone explain why Illinois sucks so bad? Maybe they’ll come back in this game but they look so bad and they’re not playing a really good team. The state produces good prospects. Northwestern isn’t much competition for recruits. It’s not like they’re a football school. They’ve been good at basketball in the past. Why are they so bad now?
    Well, they certainly came back

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    In a way, they're the South Carolina of the Big Ten. Not a perfect analogy, but not invalid either. They can't quite seem to break through the tradition of the Bigs in hoops...with a few exceptions....and are a long way from breaking through the B10 traditional powers in FB.

Well it's #1 versus #4 tonight in the ACC-Big Ten challenge. Only, it's not Duke vs. Michigan State -- it's Louisville vs. Michigan. Interesting first month of the season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

After day one, it is 1-1 in the Challenge...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Virginia Tech doesn't participate in the Challenge this year - seems like an advantage for the Friday game.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Virginia Tech doesn't participate in the Challenge this year - seems like an advantage for the Friday game.
    One hopes they will be rusty. Their last game was 11/28 I believe. That's a long layoff or a long time to prepare.

Michigan in Top Ten? Maybe Not

I predict Michigan will have a short stay in the top ten.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    That UM/UL game is not a ringing endorsement for the quality of college basketball this year. I really hope for the sake of the sport that neither is really a top-5 team. Awful basketball both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yikes, it's 18-28 at halftime? College basketball has been rough to watch, thus far. Just a mediocre product.

This is legitimately bad basketball, and unfortunately I don't expect that to change starting at 9:30.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That UM/UL game is not a ringing endorsement for the quality of college basketball this year. I really hope for the sake of the sport that neither is really a top-5 team. Awful basketball both ways.
    Definitely a down year. Few stars - young teams. Folks will tune in come March but until then - a bit of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    In a way, they're the South Carolina of the Big Ten. Not a perfect analogy, but not invalid either. They can't quite seem to break through the tradition of the Bigs in hoops...with a few exceptions...and are a long way from breaking through the B10 traditional powers in FB.
    One big reason they can’t recruit in hoops (also football) is admissions standards for athletes - they won’t accept athletes who only meet minimal NCAA standards. When is the last time Illinois recruited a top Chicago basketball prospect? I think it’s been a pretty long time.

From a Chicago magazine article in October: http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/October-2019/How-Illini-Sports-Got-So-Mediocre/

Unlike other big state schools, Illinois has been unwilling to give athletes, who put in hours upon hours a week outside of the classroom, a break on admissions standards. According to a 2013 story by sportswriter Loren Tate of Champaign-Urbana’s News-Gazette, a top football coach once expressed interest in the Illinois job, on the condition he be allowed to admit any player approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center, which keeps a list of athletes who meet minimal academic standards for Division I universities. That was a big nope from the U of I administration, which wasn’t willing to adjust its standards for even five football players out of a freshman class of 7,000.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    One big reason they can’t recruit in hoops (also football) is admissions standards for athletes - they won’t accept athletes who only meet minimal NCAA standards. When is the last time Illinois recruited a top Chicago basketball prospect? I think it’s been a pretty long time.

From a Chicago magazine article in October: http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/...t-So-Mediocre/

Unlike other big state schools, Illinois has been unwilling to give athletes, who put in hours upon hours a week outside of the classroom, a break on admissions standards. According to a 2013 story by sportswriter Loren Tate of Champaign-Urbana’s News-Gazette, a top football coach once expressed interest in the Illinois job, on the condition he be allowed to admit any player approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center, which keeps a list of athletes who meet minimal academic standards for Division I universities. That was a big nope from the U of I administration, which wasn’t willing to adjust its standards for even five football players out of a freshman class of 7,000.
    This is very hard to believe, and I wonder why there hasn't been a voter referendum in Illinois to change the practice.
    Sage Grouse

ACC tied 4-4 in the Challenge. Duke is now 19-2. We need 4 wins. We did our part; now do your part, UVA, NCSU, and OSU.

Would anyone have guessed that Wake is 12-5 in this event given how they've been for a decade?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    ACC tied 4-4 in the Challenge. Duke is now 19-2. We need 4 wins. We did our part; now do your part, UVA, NCSU, and OSU.

Would anyone have guessed that Wake is 12-5 in this event given how they've been for a decade?
    FSU and Cuse, with long time coaches, laid eggs. Duke has been the best team in this event from either league by leaps and bounds. And NO, I would never have guessed Wake 12-5 in this.

UVa will win. No doubt in my mind. That defense, especially this early in the season, is too good and confuses too many teams.

On the flip side, UVa's offense is really, really, really ugly. I mean, this is a team that shoots less than 50% from 2 and 25% from 3. They also average 53 FGA a game (compare that to Duke's 64 FGA).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Highly endorsed. 9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Cole Anthony doubtful for tonite game-foot IF you can believe the cheats

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Cole Anthony doubtful for tonite game-foot IF you can believe the cheats
    I took this hot tip straight to the degenerative gamblers site!
    Bob Green