Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Really looking forward to a barn burner. T-Rank gives UVA a 71% chance of winning, score 58-53. Personally, I can't see either team breaking 50.
    Suddenly, I am not sad that we do not get the ACCN here. That game may be damn near unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed, Anthony actually has a sub-100 offensive rating so far this season, in large part because he's only shooting 38% on two-pointers. It's early but so far I would count this as Roy disappointing with a stud recruit again, although I suppose it's unlikely he'll keep Anthony past this season (knock on wood). I've said it before, but just because he had success with Coby White, who was only ranked around 25 and not regarded as OAD, doesn't mean Roy can duplicate that when the player is considered to be a top-10 OAD stud. I don't exactly know why the ranking would matter -- maybe Roy is a beta who gets nervous and stares at his shoes around high-end talent instead of coaching them -- but maybe it does. Again, let's just hope Anthony doesn't end up staying 3-4 years.

All that said, I expect Anthony to improve, and Roy gets his teams to peak in March. The Bacot injury might help Anthony finish better around the rim as it unclogs the paint. Brooks is probably better as a center than a PF anyway.
    I get the 'whipped dog' syndrome that we've all settled into, assuming all the top talent over on the dump will stay longer than anyone would expect, but c'mon, Cole Anthony is a top-5 pick and he's gone after the season. He's Marvin Bagley III, Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles, Brondon Ingram, Kyrie Irving gone. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I'd bet my mortgage on it. Literally. Only, no betting service would take my money because it's a complete guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I am looking forward to that game, too. Regardless of the outcome, either way, after the game, UVa will have 2 Ls overall and 1 L in the ACC or UNC will have 3 Ls overall and 1 L in the ACC in early December. If Duke can take care of business tomorrow night in Blacksburg, it will be a great weekend!

Bacot for UNC rolled his ankle badly last night. He may be out or at least limited at UVa Sunday based on how the injury looked. He landed on another player’s foot coming down for a rebound and severely rolled it. Braxton Key is also out indefinitely for UVa. Both teams potentially won’t be at full strength.
    Also, Bacot is going to be missing some serious time. I'd guess 6 weeks, but it depends on the MRI. It looked like a high ankle sprain, but if there's ligament damage, he could be cooked until well into conference season if he's back at all.

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Cole Anthony doubtful for tonite game-foot IF you can believe the cheats
    Looks like we can't …

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    ... The UVA team got their first taste of what I'd refer to as "the Duke Effect" tonight. That Purdue team and crowd treated the game tonight like it was a national title game. ...
    At the Dean Dome, they bring out the crystal wine glasses and china cheese plates …

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Is a one man team. Anthony is the real deal. The rest are a bunch of jags (just another guy).
    The statement is just a bit "off."

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    What a terrible night for Chapel Hill — and, thus, what a great night for America.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    America? Try humanity!

GTHCGTH!
    Speciest! Even Duke's lemur population enjoyed unc's loss!

The ACC Winners in the challenge

copies from the OP with the ACC winning games in boldface.

Monday
    [88]Miami (+8) at [41]Illinois (7:00, ESPN2)
    [70]Clemson (+3) at [77]Minnesota (9:00, ESPN2)

Tuesday
    [130]Boston College (-1) hosts [107]Northwestern (7:00, ESPNU)
    [54]Syracuse (-3) hosts [48]Iowa (7:00, ESPN2)
    [2]Louisville (-8) hosts [10]Michigan (7:30, ESPN)
    [15]Florida State (+1) at [25]Indiana (9:00, ESPN2)
    [75]Pittsburgh (-3) hosts [71]Rutgers (9:00, ESPN2)
    [5]Duke (+5) at [1]Michigan State (9:30, ESPN)

Wednesday
    [3]Virginia (+2) at [13]Purdue (7:15, ESPN2)
    [72]Georgia Tech (-10) hosts [143]Nebraska (7:15, ESPNU)
    [52]Notre Dame (+10) at [8]Maryland (7:30, ESPN)
    [86]Wake Forest (+10) at [24]Penn State (9:15, ESPNU)
    [44]NC State (-4) hosts [57]Wisconsin (9:15, ESPN2)
    [12]North Carolina (-2) hosts [4]Ohio State (9:30, ESPN)

Miami and Duke won as underdogs; BC, Syracuse and North Carolina lost as favorites.

Two wins on the road -- Duke and Miami -- and four at home: Pitt, Louisville, State and Georgia Tech. Not enough wins and two losses by highly ranked ACC teams -- Virginia and UNC, who got blown out.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 12-05-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Obiter dicta
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

UVa KenPom -- Number 1 in O, 120 in D

Doesn't great defense produce easy offense? As in, turnovers and rebounds lead to fast breaks and layups. So, how is Virginia #1 in defense per KenPom and #120 in offense. I suppose, if the Cavaliers were 30th in defense, they might be 200+ in offense.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Doesn't great defense produce easy offense? As in, turnovers and rebounds lead to fast breaks and layups. So, how is Virginia #1 in defense per KenPom and #120 in offense. I suppose, if the Cavaliers were 30th in defense, they might be 200+ in offense.
    Granted that UVA has a great defense, but some of the reason their opponents score low numbers is that UVA runs a slow-as-molasses offense which limits the opponents number of possessions, IMHO. Perhaps one of our stat experts could do a complete breakdown of their of UVA games to prove (or more likely disprove) my amateur, uniformed, naive, irrational opinion.

I don't think UVA looks for the break much as part of their offensive system, so their turnovers and rebounds lead to less fast breaks than would be expected because Virginia doesn't push the ball up the floor when it has the chance. It is also possible that their style of defense creates more dead ball turnovers than live-ball which would limit fast break opportunities even though it results in a low points-per-possession stat but I don't know how to check that (or at least I don't care enough to actually check).

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Granted that UVA has a great defense, but some of the reason their opponents score low numbers is that UVA runs a slow-as-molasses offense which limits the opponents number of possessions, IMHO. Perhaps one of our stat experts could do a complete breakdown of their of UVA games to prove (or more likely disprove) my amateur, uniformed, naive, irrational opinion.
    The defensive rating is points-per-possession so number of possessions doesn't matter.

Just the opposite in the headline. Oh my!
    Sage Grouse

On Bart Torvik's site, (which has a slightly different methodology-perhaps a little less preseason weight?) Virginia's O is 211. That is awful and really hard to do when your defense is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think UVA looks for the break much as part of their offensive system, so their turnovers and rebounds lead to less fast breaks than would be expected because Virginia doesn't push the ball up the floor when it has the chance. It is also possible that their style of defense creates more dead ball turnovers than live-ball which would limit fast break opportunities even though it results in a low points-per-possession stat but I don't know how to check that (or at least I don't care enough to actually check).

They play a pack line defense, which does NOT pressure the ball on the perimeter which would, in turn, lead to fast breaks. They take away easier baskets and 2nd chance points. Their guards crash the defensive boards, leaving them out of position for a fast break. Thus, on offense, they must earn buckets 5 on 5, lowering their efficiency. Better defensive stats but worse offensive stats.

On offense, their guards focus on defending the break, so they do not get as many easy second chance points from offensive rebounds.

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Suddenly, I am not sad that we do not get the ACCN here. That game may be damn near unwatchable.
    You’re missing some great volleyball!

Notre Dame does not have enough players to have a 5-on-5 practice.

An MRI on Thursday confirmed that sophomore reserve guard Robby Carmody suffered an ACL injury to his left knee during the final minute of Notre Dame's 72-51 loss at No. 3 Maryland in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge that will keep him out the rest of the season.

With sophomore power forward Chris Doherty planning to transfer at the end of the semester, Brey will have eight scholarship players and one walk-on available when the Fighting Irish (6-2, 0-1 ACC) face Boston College (4-5, 1-0 ACC) on Saturday afternoon.
    It appears Notre Dame will miss a third straight NCAA tournament this season. Anyone have a sense if Brey's seat may be getting hot? He has exactly 2 recruits signed for next season... neither of them are in the top 200. In 2019 Brey did not sign a single recruit. The only freshmen on the roster right now is a walk-on.

-Jason "is Mike maybe getting a little bit tired of coaching (and recruiting)?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What does everyone think will be the outcome when Carolina plays UVa today at 4?

Can UVa’s defense hold Cole Anthony in check? Is there anyone else on Carolina’s team that can step up? Will Armando Bacot be able to play? My guess is that he won’t play, and that if UVa can contain Anthony and control the pace, they will win easily.

But if Carolina can force the pace and Anthony has a big day, UVa may have a tough time. Both teams have had a difficult time scoring recently, and Cole Anthony is supposedly nursing an injury. Will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Go Wahoos!

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    What does everyone think will be the outcome when Carolina plays UVa today at 4?
    This is a tough game to predict. Carolina has injury issues and Virginia looked completely inept in the challenge. If Cole Anthony has a good game, Carolina will most likely win.

I’m looking forward to watching as I believe Virginia has to play better than they did against Purdue.
    Bob Green

I hate to complain about officiating...but I really think this play was a Wake Forest foul...unless you are allowed to push people down and land on top of them.

https://youtu.be/jUMZtTvFdd4?t=612

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Something that will be extremely hard to watch.

Go Hoos!

Go Hoos!
    Turn the game on. 5.5 minutes in. Tied at 2. Yep. Back to football for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Turn the game on. 5.5 minutes in. Tied at 2. Yep. Back to football for a while.
    Saints-Niners down to the wire . . . .

Yep

Go Hoos!
    7 minutes in, 5-2 UVA. First to 20 wins.

82 to 77 UVA goes on a big 2nd half run to put the Heels away