Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    On a scale of 1-10, how badly do you think Cole Anthony wished Tre Jones had gone pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    On a scale of 1-10, how badly do you think Cole Anthony wished Tre Jones had gone pro?

Cole Anthony was never going to come to Duke. His father made sure of that. We were cut before Tre announced his decision to return.

His other choice was Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Cole Anthony was never going to come to Duke. His father made sure of that. We were cut before Tre announced his decision to return.

His other choice was Oregon.
    I took the comment by Dukehk to mean that Cole won't like Tre's defensive pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I watched Anthony’s first game and he looked like a budding superstar. But it’s been all downhill since...
    Coaching!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Coaching!
    Roy is sneaky good coach and always planning for the future. He’s setting up Cole to lead the Heels next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I get not liking Roy - but he is not a terrible coach by any stretch. He is one of the most successful coaches of all time and outside of K has won more championship than any current coach and the last one in 2017.
    Well, he was ranked as the most overrated coach by his peers a few years ago. So . . . .

Roy is a great recruiter, although has coached at two schools that start with a leg up anyway.

Roy is very good at coming up with game plans for an opponent, and I think this skill is often undervalued by his detractors.

I see little evidence that Roy is much of an in-game coach. Few adjustments, weird substitution patterns, no time-outs to stop runs and to change something. As best I can tell, his theory is to come up with a plan and it is up to his kids to execute it. Not a bad theory, but as the old boxing saying goes — everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the face.

And it seems that every year, he complains in a few post-game press conferences that his teams lack passion and intensity, which comes from the top. This is a rarity for teams coached by K, Izzo, Bennett, etcetera but seems to be a recurring theme in Chapel Hill.

He’s far from from a terrible coach. But I would say he is fourth-best in the league at most.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Just another example of how the game has passed Roy by. The sports pundits are too kind to say it during press conferences but you hear the whispers, particularly around the bar in my family room during timeouts. He's too old, the vertigo is wearing on him, the sleepness nights from a guilty conscience driven to submission from 20 years of cheating. Everyone knows it's time for him to retire. Sure let him eclipse Dean's win total and pssst...we'll all pretend the victories are legit. Then while Roy coaches out the season Bubba should hire an interim Coach to you know, get a handle on the subtleties of the AFAM curriculum. It's best for all concerned, trust me.
    Best line in one of the Virginia-unc game writeups:

It was the first time since the 1947-48 season that the Tar Heels failed to reach 50 points in back-to-back games.

Well, he was ranked as the most overrated coach by his peers a few years ago. So . . . .

He’s far from from a terrible coach. But I would say he is fourth-best in the league at most.
    And I forgot to add — most of his victories at UNC should have been voided by the NCAA due to the near two-decade acathletic cheating scandal whether he knew about it or not. His record has a big asterisk next to it in my opinion.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    If anyone hasn't watched the game, pour yourself a cold one and enjoy. There were multiple sequences that had me laughing at the ineptitude of both teams. The announcers should have got hazard pay.

The cheaters looked good, real good.

I'm sure it will distress everyone here that I report a total lack of belief in Chapel Hill this year. They're a collection of parts that don't fit together as a team. (UVA could also be described that way, but at least the UVA players appear to like each other.) Bacot is a good player but a liability at the line. Anthony is clearly the best talent on the team but has no backup plan for facing a strong defense. The grad transfers are showing why they spent most of their careers in the CAA and the Big South. I'm not as down on Roy as a coach as a lot of the folks here, but he's not the guy to get their roster where it needs to be.

And I forgot to add — most of his victories at UNC should have been voided by the NCAA due to the near two-decade acathletic cheating scandal whether he knew about it or not. His record has a big asterisk next to it in my opinion.
    Oh, how I wish I could send you some sporkz but I must spread some around. Here's a big GODUKE! instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Oh, how I wish I could send you some sporkz but I must spread some around. Here's a big GODUKE! instead.
    Thanks, the big GODUKE! is much appreciated.

And I forgot to add — most of his victories at UNC should have been voided by the NCAA due to the near two-decade athletic cheating scandal whether he knew about it or not. His record has a big asterisk next to it in my opinion.
    Most? MOST?!?

Don't go soft on me now OPK!

All of his victories should have been voided!

And Doherty's eight wins as well!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And Doherty's eight wins as well!
    No no no no!! 2001-02 should live on forever. If the NCAA were to properly punish the Heels, they would take down all those cheating banners in the Dean Dome and make the school put up a big 8-20 banner with Matt's face on it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No no no no!! 2001-02 should live on forever. If the NCAA were to properly punish the Heels, they would take down all those cheating banners in the Dean Dome and make the school put up a big 8-20 banner with Matt's face on it.
    Now seeing that banner hanging in the cheats house would always bring a big smile to my face😀

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    UNC Starting lineup:
    Keep in mind that last year his team featured

#2 or 3 freshman
    Future #7 pick in NBA draft
    Future #11 pick in NBA draft
    ACC preseason player of the year
    Multiple 4-star juniors and seniors.

Pretty much the perfect formula for success according to many fans, a blend of talent and experience. And they got blown out in the S16 and were never really a legitimate threat.