Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 665
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    HA! I specifically went looking for WW, totally forgot about Spurrier. That makes tons of sense.

    A note on the security...not only is it draconian, it is run by folks with little to no common sense. (Which as I've said often, seems to be a running theme when it comes to Duke sports.)
    I don't go anywhere without my camera, and I've taken it in to many games. The rules explicitly say that I can.
    One of the last games..."You can't bring this in".
    After some mild protest and holding the line up, a "supervisor" came over, and with some disdain, approved me.
    "Don't bring it back, it won't be allowed in next time".
    And of course I did bring it back, and I will continue to do so. And I'll hold up the line again if so needed.
    That rule is kinda stupid now, given that probably every single person in the stadium had their camera (phone) - and the new ones take darned good photos.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That rule is kinda stupid now, given that probably every single person in the stadium had their camera (phone) - and the new ones take darned good photos.
    It's not the phone per se, it fits more in line with their stupid bag policy. I might blow someone up with my explosive SLR.
    But since my camera bag is within the limits, they can't do squat, even though they try.
    (I've never had even so much as a blink bringing it into Cameron.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's not the phone per se, it fits more in line with their stupid bag policy. I might blow someone up with my explosive SLR.
    But since my camera bag is within the limits, they can't do squat, even though they try.
    (I've never had even so much as a blink bringing it into Cameron.)
    Yes, I know you were talking about your camera and not your camera phone...I was just using the ubiquitous nature of good camera phones as fodder for how idiotic the rule is.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That rule is kinda stupid now, given that probably every single person in the stadium had their camera (phone) - and the new ones take darned good photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's not the phone per se, it fits more in line with their stupid bag policy. I might blow someone up with my explosive SLR.
    But since my camera bag is within the limits, they can't do squat, even though they try.
    (I've never had even so much as a blink bringing it into Cameron.)
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Yes, I know you were talking about your camera and not your camera phone...I was just using the ubiquitous nature of good camera phones as fodder for how idiotic the rule is.
    You're allowed to take photos or videos, it's the bag larger than an envelope that's not allowed in WW. And the policies for bags in Cameron is different, the official reason is that there are fewer patrons (to use the Masters' term) and more entrances (and bag Nazi's) to check the larger bags and purses.

    In this day and age, with would be wrong-doers all over the place and in every size, shape and description, I'm willing to put up with extra security getting in to almost every venue in the country. It's harder to hide a significant weapon in a teeny tiny bag than it is a larger bag (of any sort) that has a false bottom or side. And since the bags literally go around the metal detectors to be inspected, a gun hidden in a bag would gain admittance. Especially since most of the "checkers" aren't very diligent or thorough. If they were diligent and thorough, people would complain it's taking too long to get in. Oh, wait, you do that anyway.

    Now get off my lawn!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

    In this day and age, with would be wrong-doers all over the place and in every size, shape and description, I'm willing to put up with extra security getting in to almost every venue in the country. It's harder to hide a significant weapon in a teeny tiny bag than it is a larger bag (of any sort) that has a false bottom or side. And since the bags literally go around the metal detectors to be inspected, a gun hidden in a bag would gain admittance. Especially since most of the "checkers" aren't very diligent or thorough. If they were diligent and thorough, people would complain it's taking too long to get in. Oh, wait, you do that anyway.

    Now get off my lawn!
    We're kidding ourselves if we think this is really any extra security...or that a Duke FB game would be a target. Sadly it would be one of the safest places to cause any mischief.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    We're kidding ourselves if we think this is really any extra security...or that a Duke FB game would be a target. Sadly it would be one of the safest places to cause any mischief.
    I was in Las Vegas the night of the mass shooting there. No one thought a random music show would be a target. I’m sure they thought the same thing in Gilroy for their Garlic Festival, let alone random churches and synagogues and mosques in small towns across the country.

    Shooters often look for soft targets. I always thank TSA and courthouse security for what they do, even when they are (to me) absurdly thorough. It’s for my protection.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was in Las Vegas the night of the mass shooting there. No one thought a random music show would be a target. I’m sure they thought the same thing in Gilroy for their Garlic Festival, let alone random churches and synagogues and mosques in small towns across the country.

    Shooters often look for soft targets. I always thank TSA and courthouse security for what they do, even when they are (to me) absurdly thorough. It’s for my protection.
    Actually a big time concert in Vegas indeed a normal target...this was not the Duke FB of concerts. And nothing they did with security at the venue of that event stopped it, did it? These security measures are dog and pony. The people doing it know it. You simply cannot remove risk.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Actually a big time concert in Vegas indeed a normal target...this was not the Duke FB of concerts. And nothing they did with security at the venue of that event stopped it, did it? These security measures are dog and pony. The people doing it know it. You simply cannot remove risk.
    Locks don't keep people out, locks "say" you're not wanted in. Searches don't keep terrorists out, it makes it more difficult to get in. Someone who is creative, resourceful and persistent enough will find a way if they want - like the Vegas shooter who was in a hotel across the street hundreds of feet from the concert. It's all about making it as difficult as possible for the bad actors to be successful. But nothing is perfect.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Ozzie has argued for tight security implemented by Nazi goons at Duke games and no beer sales. Lifetime DBR ban?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Actually a big time concert in Vegas indeed a normal target...this was not the Duke FB of concerts. And nothing they did with security at the venue of that event stopped it, did it? These security measures are dog and pony. The people doing it know it. You simply cannot remove risk.
    Well, that's a different argument.

    My original response was to your assertion that Duke doesn't need to worry about security because no one would target it. I think that is wrong with due respect, because folks look for soft targets where lots of people are congregated. (And FTR the concert in Vegas had about 22,000 attendees per Wikipedia -- it was not a big time concert).

    This second post quoted above is about efficacy. And I agree it is a difficult problem. To me, it doesn't seem that the correct answer though is "don't try."
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Duke Security is purely a CYA exercise...little logic behind it. Where,s the security when thousands pour out the gates at the end of the game? Hint...there is none

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Duke Security is purely a CYA exercise...little logic behind it. Where,s the security when thousands pour out the gates at the end of the game? Hint...there is none
    Maybe. But MGM paid out $800 million to victims of the Vegas shooting.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/us/mgm-las-vegas-shooting-settlement.amp.html

    So, perhaps my safety is a byproduct of a business decision. But I still benefit, regardless of the motive.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, that's a different argument.

    My original response was to your assertion that Duke doesn't need to worry about security because no one would target it. I think that is wrong with due respect, because folks look for soft targets where lots of people are congregated. (And FTR the concert in Vegas had about 22,000 attendees per Wikipedia -- it was not a big time concert).

    This second post quoted above is about efficacy. And I agree it is a difficult problem. To me, it doesn't seem that the correct answer though is "don't try."
    It's part of the same argument....everything you like to have done was done at that Vegas event....and it didn't stop a thing. And it was a high profile concert in a high profile area...Duke football has not been high profile in a long time, not at Wade Stadium.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe. But MGM paid out $800 million to victims of the Vegas shooting.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ement.amp.html

    So, perhaps my safety is a byproduct of a business decision. But I still benefit, regardless of the motive.
    All of this dog and pony does very little to nothing to actually make anyone safer. That's one of my main two points. It doesn't. You say Vegas proves your case, but really, it proves mine.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was in Las Vegas the night of the mass shooting there. No one thought a random music show would be a target. Iím sure they thought the same thing in Gilroy for their Garlic Festival, let alone random churches and synagogues and mosques in small towns across the country.

    Shooters often look for soft targets. I always thank TSA and courthouse security for what they do, even when they are (to me) absurdly thorough. Itís for my protection.
    Seems the obvious solution is to reduce crowd size at events so terrorists have little incentive. Weíre well on our way to doing that at Duke football games.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It's part of the same argument...everything you like to have done was done at that Vegas event...and it didn't stop a thing. And it was a high profile concert in a high profile area...Duke football has not been high profile in a long time, not at Wade Stadium.




    All of this dog and pony does very little to nothing to actually make anyone safer. That's one of my main two points. It doesn't. You say Vegas proves your case, but really, it proves mine.
    You win. Get rid of security, have fun. It will never happen here.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Ozzie has argued for tight security implemented by Nazi goons at Duke games and no beer sales. Lifetime DBR ban?
    I think not! I know you say it in Jest so I’m not even going to negative Zpork you for your comment! I might wash your brain out with soap, though. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I think not! I know you say it in Jest so Iím not even going to negative Zpork you for your comment! I might wash your brain out with soap, though. LGD GTHc!
    One thing we will always agree on - your last 2 acronyms. LGD GTHC!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    One thing we will always agree on - your last 2 acronyms. LGD GTHC!
    Letís
    Get
    Drunk.

    Got
    To
    Have
    Cold ones.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Here's an interesting recently declared portal player who might be a good fit for Duke

    Stanford o-lineman Devery Hamilton enters transfer portal


    Stanford offensive lineman Devery Hamilton entered the transfer portal on Thursday afternoon, a source told 247Sports.

    Hamilton started the first four games of the 2019 season for the Cardinal before suffering an injury against Oregon. The redshirt junior played in 11 games in 2018, starting six as a swing lineman. He started at right guard, left guard and left tackle. The Baltimore, Maryland native, came to Stanford as a four-star recruit. He ranked as the No. 252 overall prospect in the 2016 class.

    The 6-foot-7, 301-pound lineman is the 11th Stanford player to transfer since the start of December, per a source
    ...

    https://247sports.com/Article/Stanfo...rs--140372215/

  20. #100
    Duke OFFSEASON football....God forbid....havent we suffered enough??? 😈😈😈

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Football: Offseason & Spring Practice
    By Acymetric in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 515
    Last Post: 08-02-2019, 11:22 AM
  2. Duke Football Offseason
    By Avvocato in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 793
    Last Post: 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM
  3. College Football 2017 - Not Duke Discussion
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 381
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
  4. What Is Your Duke Offseason Wishlist?
    By DukeTrinity11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM
  5. DBR Survival Football discussion
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •