Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I’m not sure if this has been mentioned (if so I couldn’t find it), but I read yesterday that Scott Bracey and AJ Reed have entered their names in the transfer portal.

I am interested in the thoughts of all the knowledgeable football posters on this board. I know they were both honored on senior day, but this still seems like unfortunate news to me. They would both be huge contributors next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I’m not sure if this has been mentioned (if so I couldn’t find it), but I read yesterday that Scott Bracey and AJ Reed have entered their names in the transfer portal.

I am interested in the thoughts of all the knowledgeable football posters on this board. I know they were both honored on senior day, but this still seems like unfortunate news to me. They would both be huge contributors next year.
    I am going to guess that they both want to play for, and feel they can contribute to, a more visible football program in order to enhance their pro prospects. If that is the case, I really cannot say I blame them … but I am skeptical that it will work. Basically, a hail Mary attempt. I might have felt that Reed might have a chance … but I don't think he is the kicker that Ross Martin was, and it still disappoints me that Martin did not get any more than a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post

Scott Bracey career stats: 32 receptions, 370 yards, 2 TD

It is not beyond the realm of possibility he was not invited to return for a 5th season. There is a lot of young talent on the roster.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am going to guess that they both want to play for, and feel they can contribute to, a more visible football program in order to enhance their pro prospects.
    I would not be shocked to see Bracey playing for the Richmond Spiders next season.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I would not be shocked to see Bracey playing for the Richmond Spiders next season.
    That would make sense, especially if accompanied by pursuing a graduate degree. I think he'll do that some place.
    As for a pro career, no. That's not going to happen. I'm sure he's a fine young man, but if you've watched him run his routes, he's neither fast nor shifty, can't get separation. He'll excel at something other than football.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am going to guess that they both want to play for, and feel they can contribute to, a more visible football program in order to enhance their pro prospects. If that is the case, I really cannot say I blame them … but I am skeptical that it will work. Basically, a hail Mary attempt. I might have felt that Reed might have a chance … but I don't think he is the kicker that Ross Martin was, and it still disappoints me that Martin did not get any more than a sniff.
    Are players that were either starters or had significant playing time at other Power 5 schools also in the transfer portal? If not, then maybe we have a bigger issue or am I just paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Are players that were either starters or had significant playing time at other Power 5 schools also in the transfer portal? If not, then maybe we have a bigger issue or am I just paranoid?
    I saw three Stanford defensive players entered the portal today. Not sure if they were starters or had significant playing time.

There is no need for concern. It would have been nice for Reed to return but we have another recruited place kicker on the roster. As for Bracey, no big loss. His career stats speak volumes.
    Bob Green

Scott Bracey career stats: 32 receptions, 370 yards, 2 TD

It is not beyond the realm of possibility he was not invited to return for a 5th season. There is a lot of young talent on the roster.
    If so, given that we only have 12 verbal commits plus Porter Wilson for 18 open slots (at minimum) with only about 10 days left until the early signing period that Cut targets for completion of our recruiting....it would appear we may have made a miscalculation. Unless there are a bunch of stealth mid to high 3 star recruits that will be visiting during OV weekend and have a high probability of committing. Bracey started and played this year ahead of much of the young talent. I am not sure why we would push out proven depth.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    Bracey started and played this year ahead of much of the young talent. I am not sure why we would push out proven depth.
    Perhaps we didn’t. I’m just saying it is a possibility. Bracey struggled to stay healthy his first two seasons and did next to nothing in seasons 3 and 4.
    Bob Green

Incoming wide receiver Nicky Dalmolin named Offensive POY for Region 5-7A in Georgia.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Off-season discussion by a few seasons.
    Wallace Wade is 56 on the list of the best 150 coaches of the last 150 years.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...0-year-history
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

That’s pretty good considering how old school he was! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Incoming wide receiver Nicky Dalmolin named Offensive POY for Region 5-7A in Georgia.
    Nicky is a borderline 4 star recruit.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke sent out a survey about my season home football experience. One question was regarding what changes could improve my experience. The answer, in all caps, was “PLAY BETTER FOOTBALL!!!!”

Sometimes the best answer is the obvious answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Duke sent out a survey about my season home football experience. One question was regarding what changes could improve my experience. The answer, in all caps, was “PLAY BETTER FOOTBALL!!!!”

Sometimes the best answer is the obvious answer.
    I said revamp concessions, ease up on security idiocy and SELL. BEER.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I said "beer". I'm not gonna buy it, but it should be available.

I didn't ding them too much. The free parking and shuttle are nice (still a fair walk, though). The stadium and concessions folks seemed to be making the effort to be friendly and helpful. I don't buy the food, so hard to complain about it.

I did say I wanted a better football team. That's why I show up!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    ...ease up on security idiocy...
    I pinged on the Draconian security policies in strongest terms possible. Having some purse tyrant with a wooden box harassing fans does not result in a safer environment. It does result in Mrs. Green and Daughter Green being pissed off.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Was it mentioned that Spurrier was #27?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Was it mentioned that Spurrier was #27?
    HA! I specifically went looking for WW, totally forgot about Spurrier. That makes tons of sense.

A note on the security...not only is it draconian, it is run by folks with little to no common sense. (Which as I've said often, seems to be a running theme when it comes to Duke sports.)
    I don't go anywhere without my camera, and I've taken it in to many games. The rules explicitly say that I can.
    One of the last games..."You can't bring this in".
    After some mild protest and holding the line up, a "supervisor" came over, and with some disdain, approved me.
    "Don't bring it back, it won't be allowed in next time".
    And of course I did bring it back, and I will continue to do so. And I'll hold up the line again if so needed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."