Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Has there been any announcement of this hire, twitter or otherwise?
    Here is his twitter feed where he announces it:

https://twitter.com/Coach_DanHicks?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I found an article about him from a year ago. Sounds like a young, energetic guy who spent a year as a high school head coach at a very young age and might have some connections in NJ. Then he just spent a year as a low level assistant at a small school. Always good to have some fresh blood on the staff but I don't think he is going to revolutionize Duke football in the immediate future either - I'm not sure if he will be an assistant or some kind of quality control type role (assistant to an assistant). Regardless, welcome to Duke, coach Hicks.

https://www.theobserver.com/2019/06/...n-springfield/

Thanks Crazy. Can someone help me understand how this is not an uninspired hire. Meanwhile, NCS just hired former ECU head coach Ruffin McNeill as an assistant coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks Crazy. Can someone help me understand how this is not an uninspired hire. Meanwhile, NCS just hired former ECU head coach Ruffin McNeill as an assistant coach.
    Hey, I could be wrong, but he's not a position coach per se, but a staff analyst ...there are quite a few on every staff...if he excels he could be promoted at some point, if not, off he goes. Not much to lose...I don't mind seeing what some new blood can do, especially a guy who has contacts in NJ...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hey, I could be wrong, but he's not a position coach per se, but a staff analyst ...there are quite a few on every staff...if he excels he could be promoted at some point, if not, off he goes. Not much to lose...I don't mind seeing what some new blood can do, especially a guy who has contacts in NJ...
    Agreed - I think he is quality control/grad assistant. Someone who normally would not even be on our radar. I'm not sure how it even got noticed. It's just a slow news time...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed - I think he is quality control/grad assistant. Someone who normally would not even be on our radar. I'm not sure how it even got noticed. It's just a slow news time...
    Aren't there restrictions as to who can recruit off campus and who can't? I would think you would have to be an assistant coach to recruit, right?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You never know how a young guy might work out. When Hubie Brown joined the Duke hoop staff in 1969 or so, he was 36 years old, hardly a puppy...and was just two years removed from being the high school coach in Fair Lawn, NJ.
    Not much on his resume' at all.

At that point, you probably could have gotten million to one betting odds on him becoming a Hall of Fame coach.

You never know how a young guy might work out.
    Agreed. Maybe this will allay Chris Hoke's concerns over this hire a bit and maybe not, but assistant coach & recruiting coordinator (offense) Jeff Faris started out as a grad assistant. From what I've read, Faris has been a good recruiter for us. Maybe it's my imagination (and I'm too lazy to do the research to confirm or refute this), but I'm thinking our tight ends have become more of a threat the last couple of years since he took over coaching this position.

I think we're all aware that while Cutcliffe certainly pays attention to player rankings, coaching candidates' resumes and such, he's always looking for that "diamond in the rough". My thinking is that he places a good bit of emphasis on the intangibles as well and probably has a pretty good idea as to whether or not a player (or coaching candidate) is "a good fit" for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Aren't there restrictions as to who can recruit off campus and who can't? I would think you would have to be an assistant coach to recruit, right?
    You are on point. Unless this new hire is an assistant coach, he won't be recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    You are on point. Unless this new hire is an assistant coach, he won't be recruiting.
    Indeed, though his connections with NJ football can still be utilized.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ESPN has an article on "The Top Under-The-Radar" players. A good chunk of the article is behind a paywall, but lots of paragraphs are visible, and they are all about Chris Rumph II.

http://insider.espn.com/college-foot...all-stars-2020
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ESPN has an article on "The Top Under-The-Radar" players. A good chunk of the article is behind a paywall, but lots of paragraphs are visible, and they are all about Chris Rumph II.

http://insider.espn.com/college-foot...all-stars-2020
    Great find. Article also includes about a 2-minute interview with Rumph. He’s showing up on a lot of lists. Great to see.

He's partly under the radar because Duke couldn't figure out where to use him last year...he played mostly at defensive end, but generally didn't start. If he truly gained 20 lbs, he should be a DE starter...if not, he could be an outside LB, but our 4-2-5 makes that problematical. He was a real demon in a quasi LB role vs GT...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good read - thanks. Based on Chris' impressive productivity, I think it's safe to say, "we need more cow bell...er, Chris Rumph".

Terrible news. Adam Rowe is reporting that Sophomore Elijiah Brown is entering the transfer market.

Adam Rowe
    @AdamRoweTDD
    Duke Defensive Tackle enters transfer portal https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...own-149227313/ via
    @TheDevilsDen

@247SportsPortal
    (VIP)
    Last edited by chrishoke; 07-16-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Terrible news. Adam Rowe is reporting that Sophomore Elijiah Brown is entering the transfer market.

Adam Rowe
    @AdamRoweTDD
    Duke Defensive Tackle enters transfer portal https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...own-149227313/ via
    @TheDevilsDen

@247SportsPortal
    (VIP)
    That's odd timing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Adam Rowe
    @AdamRoweTDD
    @TheDevilsDen

@247SportsPortal
    (VIP)
    We just got thinner at already thin defensive tackle. Not good.
    Bob Green

A defensive tackle entering transfer portal -why? This is an extreme position of need- Does anyone know how many defensive tackles do we have on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    A defensive tackle entering transfer portal -why? This is an extreme position of need- Does anyone know how many defensive tackles do we have on the roster?
    Six on scholarship.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Experience, or more accurately lack of experience, is the issue. Senior Derrick Tangelo is the only DT with extensive playing time.

Ben Frye - 14 games, 150 snaps.
    DeWayne Carter - 3 games, 28 snaps
    Christian Rorie - 0 games

Gary Smith III and Aeneas Pebbles are true freshmen.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Experience, or more accurately lack of experience, is the issue. Senior Derrick Tangelo is the only DT with extensive playing time.

Ben Frye - 14 games, 150 snaps.
    DeWayne Carter - 3 games, 28 snaps
    Christian Rorie - 0 games

Gary Smith III and Aeneas Pebbles are true freshmen.
    In that regard, Elijah also was very inexperienced - he played in 6 games last year and had only 5 tackles.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide