Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Again. It's spring break. They aren't practicing during spring break. There are no updates to be had.
    Moreover, Duke has extended spring break by one week.

Can we imagine "virtual football practice attendance?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    on a positive note, it seems like Duke football was a pioneer on preferred crowd size...
    Yes we got that mastered. With Duke so concerned over student health, not sure why football team should be allowed back on campus. Am I missing something as it seems inconsistent with their latest edict?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke Football

@DukeFOOTBALL
    ·
    1h

Congrats to
    @m1ke_reese
    on being named a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Memorial Award, which is awarded to the nation's top African American male high school scholar-athlete!

http://goduke.us/3cPa4GL

#GoDuke
    There are 6 finalists for this award.

Including Reese, Duke has had a finalist in 9 of the past 15 years.
    Updates that I could find:

Vince Oghobaase (2005)
    Defensive line coach, Boston College. Previously coached for UCLA, the SF 49ers, Ohio State, and Duke
    https://bceagles.com/news/2020/1/16/...ine-coach.aspx

Mel Daniels ’12,
    Assistant special teams coach, Dallas Cowboys.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-daniels-140877a0/

Deion Williams ‘16
    Sang national anthem at 2015 Final Four.I didn’t see what he’s doing now.
    https://www.thetimesnews.com/article...News/304029831

Zavier Carmichael ‘18
    Fellow, Project Horseshoe Farm (rural health care). Didn’t see what he did after that fellowship.
    https://www.projecthsf.org/past-fellows
    https://bnbnomad.com/alabama-black-belt/

Current Duke students (I think):
    Brandon Hill (2016), Rakavius Chambers (2017)*, Mataeo Durant (2018), and Jaylen Coleman (2019).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes we got that mastered. With Duke so concerned over student health, not sure why football team should be allowed back on campus. Am I missing something as it seems inconsistent with their latest edict?
    And of course students who spend their time NOT in class at parties or hooking up or what have you...that's so much safer than in classes....no chance of contagion there....

Kind of thinking the rest of spring practice isn't going to be happening?

Vegas thinks Duke Football will get back to a bowl game this coming season, assuming their is going to be a football season this year.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/L.../#145863247_11
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Vegas thinks Duke Football will get back to a bowl game this coming season, assuming their is going to be a football season this year.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/L.../#145863247_11
    Yes are the odds greater that Duke will get to a bowl game or that Duke will not play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes are the odds greater that Duke will get to a bowl game or that Duke will not play at all.
    I'd go with "no season." Hope I'm wrong. Players would have to be on campus in very early August, at the latest I'd imagine...

Yes, without last year's self immolating schedule, prospects are decent. Really looking forward to all the new pieces at work, e.g. Cut taking the offense, new OL coach, another year with the newish WR coach (we couldn't ever get his guys the ball last year), new QBs...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd go with "no season." Hope I'm wrong. Players would have to be on campus in very early August, at the latest I'd imagine...

Yes, without last year's self immolating schedule, prospects are decent. Really looking forward to all the new pieces at work, e.g. Cut taking the offense, new OL coach, another year with the newish WR coach (we couldn't ever get his guys the ball last year), new QBs...
    I expect there to be a season, but it may start late and have fewer than 12 scheduled games. And perhaps some restrictions on fans, at least in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I expect there to be a season, but it may start late and have fewer than 12 scheduled games. And perhaps some restrictions on fans, at least in the beginning.
    A scenario where the out of conference games are cancelled is a possibility. Duke’s opener would be at Pittsburgh on September 26.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A scenario where the out of conference games are cancelled is a possibility. Duke’s opener would be at Pittsburgh on September 26.
    Yup. Lose the early easy games, then lose the bowl season anyway when the virus hits in the winter.

Lose-lose.

Hate to be that guy, but I am that guy. And you know I’m not usually that guy.

Bob, I think you’re right. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bob, I think you’re right. LGD GTHc!
    Maybe it is the 28 days I have been in home incarceration, as I am class of 1971, but I have joked with my wife that Duke is the one school which can have our usual crowds and have no problem with social distancing. Who knew we were so ahead of our time all these years? The other joke in our family is that Duke finally got serious about football just as head trauma put and end to football as we know it.

I would not count on the existing ACC schedule holding up if the season does not start on time. There are 4 ACC games that have to be rescheduled from the 1st 3 weeks. Pitt and Miami probably can't reschedule home dates at this point because they use NFL stadiums. There is also the problem of ND, which relies on ACC teams playing them non-conference in October and November. Does playing ND become like playing @HI, recognizing we probably all would prefer the latter trip?

I'm sure contingency plans are being discussed, but I would predict today that fall practice starts around 8/1. There are a lot of factors involved, but a return to normalcy by July 15 is adequate notice. July 15 is a long way away.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm far more concerned about the season ending that I am the season beginning. I fully believe that we will have a September full of games, and at least most of an August full of practice. I'm more worried about November, and round two. That's coming.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Man, you guys are on the ball with your ideas for Duke Football 2020. I'll just add; if the ACC decides to play conference games only, then more than likely Duke won't qualify for a bowl game anyway. Our conference record has been pretty bad for a while now.

GoDuke!

Recent Poll - 72% said they would not attend a game until their is a vaccine.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-games-vaccine
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Recent Poll - 72% said they would not attend a game until their is a vaccine.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-games-vaccine
    That's certainly interesting. It would probably have been more relevant to survey "People who attend sporting events" rather than the somewhat ambiguous "identify as sports fans" which could easily include people who haven't attended a live event in the last 10 years.

I also wonder when those respondents think a vaccine will be available. I expect some of these positions to soften as the timelines turn out to be quite a bit longer than some people seem to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That's certainly interesting. It would probably have been more relevant to survey "People who attend sporting events" rather than the somewhat ambiguous "identify as sports fans" which could easily include people who haven't attended a live event in the last 10 years.

I also wonder when those respondents think a vaccine will be available. I expect some of these positions to soften as the timelines turn out to be quite a bit longer than some people seem to expect.
    If I knew I had the antibodies (and plenty of them) I'd go...until there's a vaccine, antibody testing is going to be prevalent (once widely available, of course) and important.

The question isn’t whether Duke or the ACC wants to play football this fall or whether spectators want to attend games. The question is whether it will be safe to allow students back on campus. If Duke students are back on campus living, attending class, studying and partying in close proximity, Covid-19 will spread rapidly. How can you quarantine thousands of students at the same time? Most students will have only a minor illness but a few will require hospitalization. A handful may die. Would you like to be a dean calling to tell the parents of a Duke student that their son or daughter is in intensive care with Covid-19 and explaining why Duke reopened the campus? And that’s just the students. Faculty and staff would have to be back on campus exposed to this germ incubator. More of them would get sick and die. Attempting this would be irresponsible. It would also be hopeless. Students, faculty and staff wouldn’t cooperate. They’d stay home. Without students in general on campus, I don’t see how you play college football games. Maybe the NFL can cordon its teams off from the outside world and play in empty stadiums but college football has to be part of college life. For that matter, many, perhaps most, of the Duke football players would refuse to return to the campus because of the risk. Even if the players themselves are willing, their parents would insist otherwise in many cases.