Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I'm a former HS DB who watches secondary play pretty closely. Not sure if it is ever explicitly taught to not look for the ball at all, but there is a definite school of thought that says the DB should only do so in reaction to a receiver doing so (e.g. with a tilt of the neck). Many times over the past few years, our guys have been caught not turning at all, and I think that is a very legitimate thing to criticize, whether it is more a function of coaching or execution (or lack of quickness). How often do you see that in the NFL?
    There really are a lot of article written about this (not turning for the ball, just Google it). Consensus (if there is any) seems to be you don't turn around UNTIL you're even with the receiver...then you lean into him a bit and look for the ball (I know, easier said than done). I think what bothers a lot of fans (including me) were the numerous times our DBs were right with the receivers, the ball was somewhat under thrown, and they had a LOT of time to turn and knock the ball away...instead the ball dropped over their shoulders and into the receivers hands. Not an effective course of action...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There really are a lot of article written about this (not turning for the ball, just Google it). Consensus (if there is any) seems to be you don't turn around UNTIL you're even with the receiver...then you lean into him a bit and look for the ball (I know, easier said than done). I think what bothers a lot of fans (including me) were the numerous times our DBs were right with the receivers, the ball was somewhat under thrown, and they had a LOT of time to turn and knock the ball away...instead the ball dropped over their shoulders and into the receivers hands. Not an effective course of action...
    Agree completely. If a receiver gets a step or two of separation, closing that is absolutely a DB’s top priority. But once he’s even, or if he’s been hip to hip with the receiver throughout the route, there is no excuse for not turning to find the ball at some point. And that has happened way too often with our guys over the past few years.

Agree completely. If a receiver gets a step or two of separation, closing that is absolutely a DB’s top priority. But once he’s even, or if he’s been hip to hip with the receiver throughout the route, there is no excuse for not turning to find the ball at some point. And that has happened way too often with our guys over the past few years.
    Agree, and not turning will get you called for PI a lot of times when the very same contact will NOT be called PI if you are looking at the ball.

Here's the official media release on Hampton.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/2/21/cu...all-staff.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Here's the official media release on Hampton.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/2/21/cu...all-staff.aspx
    As perhaps noted above, Hampton played at South Carolina from 2004-2007, which means three years under Steve Spurrier (at SC from 2005-2015).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm a former HS DB who watches secondary play pretty closely. Not sure if it is ever explicitly taught to not look for the ball at all, but there is a definite school of thought that says the DB should only do so in reaction to a receiver doing so (e.g. with a tilt of the neck). Many times over the past few years, our guys have been caught not turning at all, and I think that is a very legitimate thing to criticize, whether it is more a function of coaching or execution (or lack of quickness). How often do you see that in the NFL?
    I was an outside LB, responsible for HB/flat coverage on passing plays. I was taught to look at the QB and if he's throwing knock the ball down, if he hasn't thrown yet, knock the receiver down. (Old guy alert: long ago there were no limits on down field contact. Reminds me of a Sleepy Jim Crowley story, he was one of the ND Four Horsemen. Taken to a then modern high octane passing attack college football game he commented "game sure has sped up since they eliminated the center jump"

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    I was an outside LB, responsible for HB/flat coverage on passing plays. I was taught to look at the QB and if he's throwing knock the ball down, if he hasn't thrown yet, knock the receiver down. (Old guy alert: long ago there were no limits on down field contact. Reminds me of a Sleepy Jim Crowley story, he was one of the ND Four Horsemen. Taken to a then modern high octane passing attack college football game he commented "game sure has sped up since they eliminated the center jump"
    Which spot did you occupy in the flying wedge?

Well see there's the probably luvdahops. The receivers never got a step or two of separation on you or I and so we don't know how to handle it! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Well see there's the probably luvdahops. The receivers never got a step or two of separation on you or I and so we don't know how to handle it! haha
    Or conversely you weren't close enough for any of this to matter.

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but I was surprised and saddened to see that out of 101 schools represented at the NFL Draft Combine, Duke did not send a single participant.

I went to the 2013 Peach Bowl fully expecting our recruiting to have a major positive reflective glow. Indeed, I think it was the class of 2015 to reach the high water mark.

So, what happened? None of that talent panned out? Wake Forest has THREE representatives!!

Sorry for the negative post, but I wanted to share my grief with someone.

What goes in to getting an invitation? There were 337 prospects invited. Some of the participants come from D2 programs. Is it speed, agility, or just word of mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Or conversely you weren't close enough for any of this to matter.
    Ouch that hurts. But also possibly true in my case haha

Duke Football

@DukeFOOTBALL
    ·
    1h

Congrats to
    @m1ke_reese
    on being named a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Memorial Award, which is awarded to the nation's top African American male high school scholar-athlete!

http://goduke.us/3cPa4GL

#GoDuke
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke Football

@DukeFOOTBALL
    ·
    1h

Congrats to
    @m1ke_reese
    on being named a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Memorial Award, which is awarded to the nation's top African American male high school scholar-athlete!

http://goduke.us/3cPa4GL

#GoDuke
    Very cool. Anyone have a guess as to when the cone of silence will break regarding Spring Practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Very cool. Anyone have a guess as to when the cone of silence will break regarding Spring Practice?
    I believe Duke is not practicing during spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It's on a need to know basis, sir, and you don't need to know! However, Spring Showcase is April 4 I believe, and IIRC (always dubious) you can watch on the ACC Network at 10 a.m...I always find those events to be not very informative, every good offensive play overshadowed by the possibility it was a lousy defensive play, it seems...sometimes you can see who can throw and catch...very intermittent schedule on practice days, wonder if this could get condensed with school now being out...from those sessions The Cone is traditionally firmly in place...

I do, however, very much look forward to seeing what a new OC, new OL coach and new QB will bring us...

The "cone of silence" that descends over Duke football every spring is puzzling, especially for a program that claims to want to build its fan base. I've now been programmed to expect less Duke football news during this annual period over any other.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I do, however, very much look forward to seeing what a new OC, new OL coach and new QB will bring us...
    As do I...hope springs eternal or something like that.
    Bob Green

Again. It's spring break. They aren't practicing during spring break. There are no updates to be had.

the updates we do tend to get, on the rare occasions that we get them, consist of who just got season ending surgery.

on a positive note, it seems like Duke football was a pioneer on preferred crowd size....