Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I know Syracuse isn't a public school (though there is a SUNY medical college in Syracuse) - that is why calling Syracuse University a SUNY bothers them...
    There is a College of Environmental Science and Forestry - SUNY that is a "tenant activity" -- as we used to say in the Defense Department -- on the Syracuse campus. I believe that the school may own its own land, but services -- such as security, snow removal, heating, etc. -- are provided by Syracuse.

Cornell is even more complex: "Cornell consists of nine privately endowed and four publicly supported "statutory colleges": the New York State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Human Ecology, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, and College of Veterinary Medicine."

Having totally hijacked this thread let me talk about Penn. When I had an interview with Dartmouth, we chatted about other colleges. I thought that UPenn was a state school and got firmly corrected. Later on, I married someone who was a Penn alumna, as was her mother. And then we sent a daughter to Penn, and she married a classmate. A different daughter and Duke alumna did her residency at the Children's Hospital at Penn Health. I have since learned a lot about UPenn.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

^ good summary on Penn! They send me about four pounds of literature per week, you can never have too many donations! (good work on the use of alumna as well, Sage, you're on your latin game today).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Having totally hijacked this thread let me talk about Penn. When I had an interview with Dartmouth, we chatted about other colleges. I thought that UPenn was a state school and got firmly corrected. Later on, I married someone who was a Penn alumna, as was her mother. And then we sent a daughter to Penn, and she married a classmate. A different daughter and Duke alumna did her residency at the Children's Hospital at Penn Health. I have since learned a lot about UPenn.
    And don't ever mistake UPenn for Penn State!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    And don't ever mistake UPenn for Penn State!
    I don't think that happens all that often, but it reminds that the "U of" panache in Pennsylvania is Penn State, just as Ohio State is that in Ohio, and LSU in Lousiana. Rare this is the case.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Good comments...couple things:
    I think it's no longer UNCC...now just Charlotte.
    NCSU has games at home during the fair from time to time.
    The university officials prefer UNC-CHarlotte, however the branding for athletics appear to prefer the shorthand “Charlotte”.

Laken Tomlinson to Super Bowl

**move this to NFL playoffs thread if you like, but gotta love the Duke connection

Serious props to Duke grad Laken Tomlinson, big #75 at Left Guard for the NFC Champion San Francisco 49ers.

The 49ers have gone to a heavy run mix, with only 9 passes thrown in the conference finals, and a huge 220-yard rushing day from Raheem Mostert. Laken Tomlinson has been playing well; I'm not qualified to break down Offensive Line play, but it seems like many of their runs are coming with big holes made on the left side of their line. Laken has had a up-and-down career after going in the 1st round to the Detroit Lions, but has found a home with the 49ers.

He will have a tough matchup in the Super Bowl going against Kansas City Defensive Tackle Chris Jones. Go, Laken!

Yes Buffalo and Memphis are great examples...along with Charlotte. Rutgers even fiddled around with rebranding U of New Jersey but that seems to have died out. At least one of the Louisiana universities not named LSU have kind of moved their branding around too lately. It's either La Tech or SWLa that is now simply U of Louisiana if I'm not mistaken. USC Spartanburg is now USC Upstate I believe. And of course VPI is no longer branded as VPI...as they were for years.
    You’re mistaken. It’s Louisiana-Lafayette attempting to now claim to be the U of La. (which historically was actually Tulane). This also deprives us all of the U-La-La designation, which was great.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The university officials prefer UNC-CHarlotte, however the branding for athletics appear to prefer the shorthand “Charlotte”.
    Well I don't know what university officials you refer to, but you are not referring to:
    The Athletic Director
    The Athletic Dept staff
    The coaches.
    The players.
    The fans.
    The opposing fans.
    The opposing coaches.
    The opposing players.
    ESPN and all other sports media...all refer to it as Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    You’re mistaken. It’s Louisiana-Lafayette attempting to now claim to be the U of La. (which historically was actually Tulane). This also deprives us all of the U-La-La designation, which was great.
    Well I think the comment about me being mistaken is unnecessary, I stated it circumspect-fully, and I did have the MAIN POINT right...which is that schools do rebrand themselves rather often.
    But thanks for the clarification, and U La La is awesome....

Well I don't know what university officials you refer to...
    The university's website is uncc.edu, and quite prominently says "UNC CHARLOTTE" so at least one official, or perhaps a deviant webmaster, prefers the unc-charlotte moniker. All of the people you mentioned were in the athletics department, a point on which you and DU82 agreed.
    April 1

Well I don't know what university officials you refer to, but you are not referring to:
    The Athletic Director
    The Athletic Dept staff
    The coaches.
    The players.
    The fans.
    The opposing fans.
    The opposing coaches.
    The opposing players.

Well I think the comment about me being mistaken is unnecessary, I stated it circumspect-fully, and I did have the MAIN POINT right...which is that schools do rebrand themselves rather often.
    But thanks for the clarification, and U La La is awesome...
    It wasn’t a dig. I was referencing your phrasing.
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 01-21-2020 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    The Athletic Director
    The Athletic Dept staff
    The coaches.
    The players.
    The fans.
    The opposing fans.
    The opposing coaches.
    The opposing players.

But thanks for the clarification, and U La La is awesome...
    You didn’t mention the president’s office. AND, I said that it appears the athletic dept. appears to prefer just CHARLOTTE.

This thread has taken a similar turn as the Ohio discussion for the Clemson-OSU-LSU games. Call it the Charlotte Center for the University of North Carolina and be done with it.

There's about 30 hours until the schedule is released, which could be my highlight of the football season unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Sorry, too weak to resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jcIQiP01A

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A different daughter and Duke alumna did her residency at the Children's Hospital at Penn Health.
    Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an independent entity and not part of the Penn Health system, although many doctors have joint appointments and the hospitals are physically connected.

My wife was a grad student in neuroscience/bioengineering at Penn and I worked in the department of neurosurgery at Penn, and our daughter was treated by cardiology at CHoP for a while. We've gotten to know those systems pretty well.

Coach Cut officially named Greg Frey as OLine coach today. Frey brings alot of experience to the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Coach Cut officially named Greg Frey as OLine coach today. Frey brings alot of experience to the staff.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ach-142516426/

Late in article...

"David Cutcliffe is expected to make other changes on his coaching staff before Spring Practice kicks off in March, but those moves have yet to be finalized."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ach-142516426/

Late in article...

"David Cutcliffe is expected to make other changes on his coaching staff before Spring Practice kicks off in March, but those moves have yet to be finalized."
    At this late point in the hiring/firing game, I will be very surprised if any of those changes are for anything other than minor assistants. It seems that the only coaching changes on that level are being made by more elite programs that just wrapped up their seasons, or are being affected by NFL hires. (Such as Rhule taking a number of college guys for his staff, but again, those folks are coming from programs that won't be replacing empty spaces with anyone from Duke.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At this late point in the hiring/firing game, I will be very surprised if any of those changes are for anything other than minor assistants. It seems that the only coaching changes on that level are being made by more elite programs that just wrapped up their seasons, or are being affected by NFL hires. (Such as Rhule taking a number of college guys for his staff, but again, those folks are coming from programs that won't be replacing empty spaces with anyone from Duke.)
    I think you will be surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Agreed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Agreed.
    Crossing fingers
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."