Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What we know:

9/5 Middle Tenn State
    9/12 Elon
    9/19 Charlotte
    10/31 @ Notre Dame

Home: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Carolina, Wake Forest
    Away: NC State, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Miami
    There are rumors UNC-C was moved to Thursday for TV.

A couple predictions and thoughts:
    1. We end the year @Miami or @Pitt. I think Duke will protest having a Thanksgiving home game 3 years in a row. Since Pitt has a Raycom-level rivalry with Syracuse, I would predict the former.
    2. The dates when we can play @NCSU are pretty limited. It's early October or early November due to the State Fair. 10/3 is Fall Break when Duke usually asks for an away game or bye.
    3. A round-robin with the NC schools in November actually does work on 11/7, 11/14, or 11/21. @NCSU/UNC/Wake or UNC/@NCSU/Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at least we're back to three highly winnable OOC games, though nothing is guaranteed. Dropping Bama onto last year's schedule (I know, it was scheduled a few years ago) violated that unofficial Cut rule, cost us a bowl, not that we deserved one.
    There's no guarantee we would have beaten Tulane (6-6) at home either.

CB Isaiah Kemp is transferring to East Carolina per Adam Rowe at 247 Sports.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Thursday games are especially difficult for fans who travel from outside the local area. Both myself and daughter would have to miss work and the grandson would miss school for a game against Charlotte. September is a long ways off but I will probably stay home and watch on TV.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

A couple predictions and thoughts:
    1. We end the year @Miami or @Pitt. I think Duke will protest having a Thanksgiving home game 3 years in a row. Since Pitt has a Raycom-level rivalry with Syracuse, I would predict the former.
    2. The dates when we can play @NCSU are pretty limited. It's early October or early November due to the State Fair. 10/3 is Fall Break when Duke usually asks for an away game or bye.
    3. A round-robin with the NC schools in November actually does work on 11/7, 11/14, or 11/21. @NCSU/UNC/Wake or UNC/@NCSU/Wake.

Good comments...couple things:
    I think it's no longer UNCC....now just Charlotte.
    NCSU has games at home during the fair from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Good comments...couple things:
    I think it's no longer UNCC...now just Charlotte.
    NCSU has games at home during the fair from time to time.
    some people argue that...but i don't think it's official....or at least so long as they continue to brand themselves as UNCC, i won't make much distinction.

proof:

https://www.uncc.edu/
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    some people argue that...but i don't think it's official...or at least so long as they continue to brand themselves as UNCC, i won't make much distinction.

proof:

I think the athletics program explicitly brands itself as "Charlotte". So it isn't so much an argument as...a think that is that way.

Consider: https://charlotte49ers.com/

Or: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...harlotte-49ers

Quote Originally Posted by brickey View Post
    Laken Tomlinson is getting a ton of love from Bay Area TV media after the niners put up nearly 300 yards on the ground against GB in the NFC championship game, especially since the bulk of those yards —more than 200– were gained by their back-up RB, Mostert. Even Joe Buck, who seemingly ialways angles against the guys/teams I cheer for, singled out Laken’s dominance at the line of scrimmage during the broadcast.

Really happy for Laken! Let’s hope this gives us some extra juice in OL recruiting moving forward.
    Ha, demoted by the sad Lions, thriving on his way to the Super Bowl. Some team needs new talent assessment.

p.s. evidently the unofficial new OL coach was greeting recruits the other day...so that's still pending...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    some people argue that...but i don't think it's official...or at least so long as they continue to brand themselves as UNCC, i won't make much distinction.

proof:

Vis a vis: Athletics they are officially Charlotte.
    https://charlotte49ers.com/sports/football

An out of date gummint website for the dot org web address is not necessarily official.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think the athletics program explicitly brands itself as "Charlotte". So it isn't so much an argument as...a think that is that way.

Consider: https://charlotte49ers.com/

Or: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...harlotte-49ers
    Makes sense, and other teams are doing it. "Buffalo" is still SUNY at Buffalo. On the other hand Salisbury State on the Eastern Shore of Maryland officially became the University of Salisbury (and is a heckuva lot older than the University by the same name on the plains near Stonehenge). Similarly, University of Memphis vs. Memphis State.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Makes sense, and other teams are doing it. "Buffalo" is still SUNY at Buffalo. On the other hand Salisbury State on the Eastern Shore of Maryland officially became the University of Salisbury (and is a heckuva lot older than the University by the same name on the plains near Stonehenge). Similarly, University of Memphis vs. Memphis State.
    I'm glad Salisbury put a stake in the ground on their naming convention - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm glad Salisbury put a stake in the ground on their naming convention - well done.
    Yep, and everything else is just gravy.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yes Buffalo and Memphis are great examples...along with Charlotte. Rutgers even fiddled around with rebranding U of New Jersey but that seems to have died out. At least one of the Louisiana universities not named LSU have kind of moved their branding around too lately. It's either La Tech or SWLa that is now simply U of Louisiana if I'm not mistaken. USC Spartanburg is now USC Upstate I believe. And of course VPI is no longer branded as VPI...as they were for years.

Yes, but isn't universities doing this sort of thing still rare?

In the 1960s there was an efforts to rename NC State as the University of North Carolina at Raleigh.

Did not fly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In the 1960s there was an efforts to rename NC State as the University of North Carolina at Raleigh.

Did not fly.
    Shocking .

Did not fly.
    I still refer to Pack as UNCR on occasion just to stir up State fans. Kind of fun😀

If you want to get a rise out of Syracuse alums, refer to it as SUNY Syracuse.

Penn recently got a huge gift from the Carey Foundation for its law school. The plan was to refer to it as Carey Law (kind of like how the business school is the Wharton School). Among the many issues people had with this is that the law school at Maryland is also Carey Law, and Penn did not want to be confused with Maryland. So it is now the University of Pennsylvania Carey School of Law but the accepted shorthand reverted to Penn Law.

Did not fly.
    I don't think it even made the runway....

If you want to get a rise out of Syracuse alums, refer to it as SUNY Syracuse.
    Syracuse is a private school, so I don't think SUNY applies. Then again, I guess it could be PUNY Syracuse...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Syracuse is a private school, so I don't think SUNY applies. Then again, I guess it could be PUNY Syracuse...
    I know Syracuse isn't a public school (though there is a SUNY medical college in Syracuse) - that is why calling Syracuse University a SUNY bothers them...