Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Duke does indeed look at the transfer portal, would our 4 star recruit decommit? I want to see Coach Cut recruit and develop his own QB. I know that may take a year or two but lightning could strike and we get a jewel of a QB. Plus we may have Gunner back from his injury and he should know the system pretty well. I'm more concerned with our present OC. I think firing him and getting a good replacement is the number one priority with developing a good offensive line coming in a close 2nd. GoDuke!
    And you're saying that a transfer doesn't fit being "recruited" or being "developed?" That doesn't really make sense. If you're waiting for the next 0 star recruit to turn into the next Daniel Jones, you gotta long wait coming.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And you're saying that a transfer doesn't fit being "recruited" or being "developed?" That doesn't really make sense. If you're waiting for the next 0 star recruit to turn into the next Daniel Jones, you gotta long wait coming.
    No, I will believe it when I see it(QB-transfer) under Coach Cut. I just don't think that's how he rolls and no again, I'm not waiting for the next 0 star to be turned into DJ. I would like to see how a healthy Gunnar Holmberg performs. My biggest worry is Cut retaining our present OC. I believe had we had a good OC, we'd be 6-6 or 7-5 and heading to a bowl game and that was with a below average QB. Plus our conference record would be 4-4 or 5-3. But this is just my opinion.
    GoDuke!

My biggest worry is Cut retaining our present OC. I believe had we had a good OC, we'd be 6-6 or 7-5 and heading to a bowl game and that was with a below average QB. Plus our conference record would be 4-4 or 5-3. But this is just my opinion.
    GoDuke!
    I think that is an opinion shared by many.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I would be shocked if Duke looked for a QB in the transfer portal
    Wasn't duke interested in Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall who went to WVA, or was that just speculation? If true, there is precedent. If not....nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Wasn't duke interested in Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall who went to WVA, or was that just speculation? If true, there is precedent. If not...nevermind.
    Does anyone really know? Cut generally keeps his cards close to his vest when it comes to internal program decisions. I have always tended to think that all the QB transfer speculation is mostly message board fodder.

No, I will believe it when I see it(QB-transfer) under Coach Cut. I just don't think that's how he rolls and no again, I'm not waiting for the next 0 star to be turned into DJ. I would like to see how a healthy Gunnar Holmberg performs. My biggest worry is Cut retaining our present OC. I believe had we had a good OC, we'd be 6-6 or 7-5 and heading to a bowl game and that was with a below average QB. Plus our conference record would be 4-4 or 5-3. But this is just my opinion.
    GoDuke!
    Worth noting that Northwestern recently fired Mike McCall, who had been the program’s OC for the last 12 years. I think this is relevant to Duke for a number of reasons:

-NU is a similar university and a program against which we often benchmark ourselves. They also had a disappointing season relative to expectations, and despite a 10 win season and surprise Big Ten West title last year, the program seems to be at a crossroads.

-Cut and Pat Fitzgerald have tons of respect for one another and similar personalities in many ways, particularly with regard to loyalty to staff. Both will retain their jobs for as long as they want.

-Like Duke, Northwestern was once considered a pretty innovative program in terms of offense, but playcalling, productivity and results on that side of the ball have declined noticeably in recent years. To be fair, the decline at NU has been even more pronounced, especially this year, when their offense was epically bad before turning the reins over to lightly recruited dual threat QB Andrew Marty late in the season.

a lot of very good points, luv, but I wouldn't say NU' offense has declined in recent "years" (surely this one, in a major way) as they did win the Big Ten West last year with a conference record of 8-1. They sure were awful this year. I still have no idea how they lost to Akron last year, got dominated by Duke (one of our best defensive performances I've seen in years) then went on to beat ranked Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

As far as transfer QBs are concerned, I think one problem is that (regardless of Cut's reputation) guys leaving relatively high profile programs generally land at higher profile football schools than Duke...I do think Cut has sniffed around some in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    a lot of very good points, luv, but I wouldn't say NU' offense has declined in recent "years" (surely this one, in a major way) as they did win the Big Ten West last year with a conference record of 8-1. They sure were awful this year. I still have no idea how they lost to Akron last year, got dominated by Duke (one of our best defensive performances I've seen in years) then went on to beat ranked Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

As far as transfer QBs are concerned, I think one problem is that (regardless of Cut's reputation) guys leaving relatively high profile programs generally land at higher profile football schools than Duke...I do think Cut has sniffed around some in the past.
    Here are NU's national rank in points and yards per game over the last 5 years:

2015 - 114/117
    2016 - 87/73
    2017 - 57/55
    2018 - 101/108
    2019 - 126/124

With 130 FBS teams, they have ranked in the top half just once in the last 5 years, versus bottom quartile in 3 of 5, and damn near rock bottom in 2019. I'd call that a sustained decline for a program once considered innovative.

Per the above, the 2018 team was no juggernaut offensively, but won a lot of close games in conference play (+53 in points across 9 games) and benefited from relative down years at Wisconsin (5-4, 8-5) and Iowa (5-4, 9-4).
    Last edited by luvdahops; 12-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.

247Sports had an article up yesterday speculating on Jake Bentley landing spots: Oregon, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Duke and N.C. State.

The article indicated Bentley is expected to head West.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Here are NU's national rank in points and yards per game over the last 5 years:

2015 - 114/117
    2016 - 87/73
    2017 - 57/55
    2018 - 101/108
    2019 - 126/124

With 130 FBS teams, they have ranked in the top half just once in the last 5 years, versus bottom quartile in 3 of 5, and damn near rock bottom in 2019. I'd call that a sustained decline for a program once considered innovative.

Per the above, the 2018 team was no juggernaut offensively, but won a lot of close games in conference play (+53 in points across 9 games) and benefited from relative down years at Wisconsin (5-4, 8-5) and Iowa (5-4, 9-4).
    good info. I know they expected a lot from QB transfer (from Clemson) Hunter Johnson, and he did nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    247Sports had an article up yesterday speculating on Jake Bentley landing spots: Oregon, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Duke and N.C. State.

The article indicated Bentley is expected to head West.
    Utah seems to be most likely according to the all knowing internet but Duke and NC State were also mentioned by a so called insider on Gamecock Central. Jake’s a good kid with a big arm. Typical coach’s kid. In interviews he uses more jock-speak and cliches than a head coach.

Other positions than QB

I know QB is our main unknown for next season, but if any one of our QB recruits had skills before they came, Cutcliffe can help them hone them if they are students of the game, as was/is DJ. I was impressed with our defense against the U, and commentators kept complimenting how skilled they are and how young. It wasn't that long ago that we had no athletes who could run with and defend wide receivers. I do believe we need new offensive coordination, but too I believe we have building blocks in place to be productive if we can add the right few pieces. Just hope we don't start losing recruits, like Alabama evidently is to Auburn...

Right tackle is a bigger need to me than QB. I honestly feel Monk could be all ACC at left guard, and assuming the normal growth Holman should be fine at LT next season.

We have good young WRs and talented RBs. I don't mind starting an inexperienced QB if we have a good OL.

GoDuke!
    On all that, we agree. As for how Cut rolls with transfers and his assistants...I'd like to see him change how he rolls...I really don't care how much he likes or loves his assistants, they don't pay his salary and he doesn't work for them.

All ACC honors:

2nd Team - Dimukeje, Gray, Philyaw-Johnson
    3rd Team - Rumph, Quansah
    Honorable Mention - Parker, Reed, Wohlabaugh
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    All ACC honors:

2nd Team - Dimukeje, Gray, Philyaw-Johnson
    3rd Team - Rumph, Quansah
    Honorable Mention - Parker, Reed, Wohlabaugh
    That's a nice turnaround for him, I wish he weren't leaving. Kudos to Austin for hanging in too when times got tough.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

good info. I know they expected a lot from QB transfer (from Clemson) Hunter Johnson, and he did nothing for them.
    Yup. Johnson looked shockingly unprepared for prime time, throwing for just 432 yards in parts of 6 games (46% completion rate, 4.0 ypa, 1 TD, 4 INT). TJ Green actually won the starting job over a Johnson in preseason, but was injured in their opener at Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Right tackle is a bigger need to me than QB. I honestly feel Monk could be all ACC at left guard, and assuming the normal growth Holman should be fine at LT next season.

We have good young WRs and talented RBs. I don't mind starting an inexperienced QB if we have a good OL.
    Our strategy at right tackle befuddles me. We get highly touted recruit Kraeling, put him there, then demote him in favor of freshman Monk whom most believe (as you say) is best suited for a guard position.
    Then we take a pretty good OT prospect in Gelotte and place him at tight end along with our other FIVE tight ends. (At least he played in only four games and didn't burn his redshirt)...hopefully that experiment ends and Gelotte goes back to tackle.

The quoted post below is from the Miami game thread but I am responding here in the Offseason thread.

I believe Calhoun can be a difference maker with a good OC and good Quarterback. The kid has impressed me when we've been able to get him the ball. I like the Crowder comparison.
    GoDuke!
    There is a lot to be excited about with Jalon Calhoun who led the team in receptions (46), receiving yards (420), receiving TDs (4) and longest reception (49). However, I’m going to temper my expectations by laying off the Jamison Crowder comparisons for the time being. Crowder had over 1,000 yards receiving in three of his four seasons.

Duke has a lot of young talent at receiver that could blossom into stars. A guy I believe has a huge upside is Darrell Harding, Jr. He is big at 6’4” 210 and averaged 16.3 yards per catch. Jake Bobo and Eli Pancol are other guys worthy of excitement.
    Bob Green

Per Adam Rowe on Twitter, redshirt junior LB Jacob Morgenstern will enter the transfer portal.
    Bob Green