Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If they made offensive coordinator a part time job, and relocated the practice field to the golf course, then I think the old ball coach could be lured.
    Oh, I'd forgotten about his love of golf. Might take away a little of his time at practice and in Florida he doesn't have to worry about cold weather getting him out of a round of golf.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks for that information. He was a Heisman winner for Florida and I can understand Steve returning there. He does have ties to Duke in his coaching career and I believe his son played football at Duke. I'll always love him for running up the score on the cheats. Time might have passed him as far as coaching these days but I think he would still be better than what we have as OC now.

GoDuke!
    Oh I love Spurrier, and I feel fortunate he coached both of my teams. I still feel like, following him over the years, his peak was between his time as OC for Red Wilson at Duke - to his HC time at Duke - through his first several years at Florida as HC, including a natty. At SC, he was a good coach, just different. Not as good as he was at Duke, or Duke again, or Florida, IMO. And yeah, better than our current OC? No doubt, but that's damning with faint praise...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    If they made offensive coordinator a part time job, and relocated the practice field to the golf course, then I think the old ball coach could be lured.
    He could share an office with Coach G.

The fiinal play call in the UNC game was was roasted as being about the worst call in history. Same play run by the Titans yesterday - jump pass from the running back for “easy “ touchdown. This one roundly being called a great call. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    The fiinal play call in the UNC game was was roasted as being about the worst call in history. Same play run by the Titans yesterday - jump pass from the running back for “easy “ touchdown. This one roundly being called a great call. Go figure.
    Success or failure determines perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    well, and not lining up for the same play after the opponents timeout to prepare for it.
    April 1

Yup, we’ve won with that play before too.

Carolina was certainly ready for it though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Yep! "Hmmm, I think I've seen this before...hands up everybody!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The coaches’ convention is this weekend. Maybe there will be some news about hires soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The coaches’ convention is this weekend. Maybe there will be some news about hires soon.
    With any luck, starting with Davidson and Charlotte and Elon and so on picking up some current P5 assistants...

Context matters. Were the Titans 3 points away from a tying field goal with 18 seconds left in the game?

Different team, different situation, and very likely a team that had never run that play before in a game. Also, the Titan players were ready to run the play. Cleary Deon Jackson was not ready to run that play.

This is true...but sometimes perception is correct nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Most of our success came on the QB jump pass over the years...which is a safer play, especially on first down with time to run other plays.

bumping the thread since the Coaching Convention started yesterday and ends tomorrow, and any changes to the Duke offensive coaching juggernaut can be expected shortly thereafter...fingers crossed.

I wonder if he can even play nowadays. That walk of his doesn't yell out 'great hip turn'.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I wonder if he can even play nowadays. That walk of his doesn't yell out 'great hip turn'.
    He had back surgery last year; if he has a hip problem, those are easily replaceable...I can't imagine him not on a golf course. Wasn't that part of his deal at SC, the membership at Augusta?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Context matters. Were the Titans 3 points away from a tying field goal with 18 seconds left in the game?
    So , if Duke’s pass had been incomplete would they have been 3 points away from a tying field goal with 11 seconds left in the game ?
    Last edited by AtlDuke72; 01-13-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Typo

So , if Duke’s pass had been incomplete would they have been 3 points away from a tying field goal with 11 seconds left in the game ?
    Yes. And with another chance on third down to win the game without using a trick play they hadn't run all season.

But not with an interception.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    ...this is why they have the "gold tee boxes"....

bumping the thread since the Coaching Convention started yesterday and ends tomorrow, and any changes to the Duke offensive coaching juggernaut can be expected shortly thereafter...fingers crossed.
    Fingers definitely crossed as we await announcement of at least one new position coach. Perhaps more changes. GoDuke.com “Coaches” Page has not been updated so Jim Bridge is still listed as OL Coach.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Fingers definitely crossed as we await announcement of at least one new position coach. Perhaps more changes. GoDuke.com “Coaches” Page has not been updated so Jim Bridge is still listed as OL Coach.
    Unless a coach is arrested for kicking a puppy, GoDuke is not the fastest website for updating personnel.
    (Nobody has been arrested for puppy kicking.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."