Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Fully agreed.

FWIW, that brings our transfer total (including grad transfers) to 9.
    Is anyone getting a bit more concerned about these young men entering the transfer portal?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Is anyone getting a bit more concerned about these young men entering the transfer portal?
    I am, but I kind of already was. Brown (despite his injury troubles) was a major contributor though, definitely the most significant transfer so far. And we are officially thin at RB. Hope Marvin Hubbard III is healthy and Jaylen Coleman is ready to contribute. Or maybe we finally see a glimpse of Elijah Deveaux?

Fully agreed.

FWIW, that brings our transfer total (including grad transfers) to 9.
    can you post a list of those 9?

can't spin this news into something good.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    can you post a list of those 9?
    Sure. And I was wrong, we are at 8 transfers. I accidentally counted incoming transfer J'Marick Woods to get to 9.

FWIW, 247 has a pretty nice (free!) transfer portal tracker for all teams where you can keep up with who is going where.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/S...ransferPortal/

I'm going by whether 247 indicates them as having "immediate" eligibility to determine grad transfers so that part may or may not be correct.

Code:
    Brittain Brown    (RB)   Appears to be a grad transfer
    Scott Bracey      (WR)   Grad transfer
    Aaron Young       (WR)   Grad transfer
    Liam Smith        (OL)   Grad Transfer
    Jacob Morganstern (LB)   RS Jr (not indicated as a grad transfer on 247 but he might be)
    Isaiah Kemp       (CB)   Freshman
    Javon Jackson     (S)    Grad transfer
    AJ Reed           (K)    Grad transfer

Sure. And I was wrong, we are at 8 transfers. I accidentally counted incoming transfer J'Marick Woods to get to 9.

FWIW, 247 has a pretty nice (free!) transfer portal tracker for all teams where you can keep up with who is going where.

I'm going by whether 247 indicates them as having "immediate" eligibility to determine grad transfers so that part may or may not be correct.

Code:
    Jacob Morganstern (LB)   RS Jr (not indicated as a grad transfer on 247 but he might be)
    Thanks. I was very very down on the program...felt like the Cutcliffe surge was slipping away. Then we beat Miami...felt a little better...then the recruiting class looked awful...but some late work rounded it into better shape. I was thinking okay, maybe Cut CAN turn this back around. Now, again, I feel it slipping away...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    can't spin this news into something good.
    I agree. This is bad news. Brittain Brown rushed for 701 yards (5.4 ypc) and 7 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman. He hurt his leg/knee against Army opening game of sophomore season followed by shoulder surgery early in junior season. When healthy, Brown is a fantastic running back. He has size and speed plus good hands catching the ball out of the backfield. I was really hoping he would have a healthy, productive senior season.
    Bob Green

Code:
    Neal and Williams are also early departures although neither is in the portal. So, 10 total kids leaving early (i.e. with eligibility), at least eight of whom want to still play football.
    Last edited by DukeDTD; 01-07-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yes. The total early departures (guys with eligibility left) are now at 10. Especially when Cut indicated all along, and even as late as his presser on early signing day, that the coaching staff had been expecting a class of 12. We are now at 19 slots and counting which means the coaching staff was completely blindsided by all of the departures. The (successful) scramble before early signing day to actively and aggressively flip recruits validates that coaches were surprised. In a program that prides itself on being a close-knit family environment with the coaches actively involved with the players, surprises of this magnitude suggest a breakdown in communication and/or a relatively sudden souring on the program among several players.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    Yes. The total early departures (guys with eligibility left) are now at 10. Especially when Cut indicated all along, and even as late as his presser on early signing day, that the coaching staff had been expecting a class of 12. We are now at 19 slots and counting which means the coaching staff was completely blindsided by all of the departures. The (successful) scramble before early signing day to actively and aggressively flip recruits validates that coaches were surprised. In a program that prides itself on being a close-knit family environment with the coaches actively involved with the players, surprises of this magnitude suggest a breakdown in communication and/or a relatively sudden souring on the program among several players.
    I am not sure I agree with your assessment. It could also be a sign of the times in college football. There seems to be no down side in putting your name in the transfer pool. Mr. young did it last year but didn’t leave. He came back and was a starter. Who knows how many of these guys will do the same.. it certainly adds a great deal of uncertainty for coaches. I’d love to hear what smarter people than me think about all this.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I am not sure I agree with your assessment. It could also be a sign of the times in college football. There seems to be no down side in putting your name in the transfer pool. Mr. young did it last year but didn’t leave. He came back and was a starter. Who knows how many of these guys will do the same.. it certainly adds a great deal of uncertainty for coaches. I’d love to hear what smarter people than me think about all this.
    After we added additional recruits there is only room for 1, maybe 2 of these guys to come back. These guys are, by and large, out the door (there is no longer room for them on the roster). The only one I have any hope for is Brown (since we filled all the scholarships vacated by the other guys after they put their names in) but I'm not optimistic.

After we added additional recruits there is only room for 1, maybe 2 of these guys to come back. These guys are, by and large, out the door (there is no longer room for them on the roster). The only one I have any hope for is Brown (since we filled all the scholarships vacated by the other guys after they put their names in) but I'm not optimistic.
    Maybe the guys leaving that are on offense, see the same thing we do with our inept play calling.
    GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Maybe the guys leaving that are on offense, see the same thing we do with our inept play calling.
    GoDuke!
    I was thinking the same. Two WRs and a RB, that's quite a loss.
    "Hey Coach, are you sticking with Mr. Roper?"
    "Yep."
    "Thanks, good luck with that, bye."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was thinking the same. Two WRs and a RB, that's quite a loss.
    "Hey Coach, are you sticking with Mr. Roper?"
    "Yep."
    "Thanks, good luck with that, bye."
    Exactly, multiple skill position players hoping to actually be able to use their skill...

Offensive line coach Jim Bridge has resigned.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...239099058.html
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Hmmm... the plot thickens.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I just saw this and came here to post the news but you beat me to it. Now Coach Cutcliffe must go secure a proven OL coach who can step in and make an immediate impact.
    Bob Green

John Latina to a white courtesy telephone, Mr John Latina, White Courtesy telephone

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    John Latina to a white courtesy telephone, Mr John Latina, White Courtesy telephone
    I'm pretty sure if Latina wanted to be coaching he would be. Consider him retired, I think.

I'm pretty sure if Latina wanted to be coaching he would be. Consider him retired, I think.
    I think you’re correct but damn, wouldn’t it be nice.