Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 643
  1. #341
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Miller wasn't a likely starter at tackle. But he came in as a guard and might have been in the mix for Zach Baker's starting job at LG. But Duke still has other options, Maurice McIntyre the most likely.

  2. #342
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Miller wasn't a likely starter at tackle. But he came in as a guard and might have been in the mix for Zach Baker's starting job at LG. But Duke still has other options, Maurice McIntyre the most likely.
    True, but as a former starter he could have provided quality depth, something we will miss. I'm noting a rumor on TDD that there could be an offensive tackle beamed in from the portal...that could be helpful, let Monk or Holman move inside.

  3. #343
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    On paper, Coach Frey has a proven background in offensive line coaching

    What continues to pique my curiosity is in the “More coaching announcements to come soon”

    God I hope it’s the home run so many are looking for, not just rearranging the chairs on the proverbial deck.
    Yes, if it's not, it the season could be like "rearranging the chairs on the Titanic".

    GoDuke!

  4. #344
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    True, but as a former starter he could have provided quality depth, something we will miss. I'm noting a rumor on TDD that there could be an offensive tackle beamed in from the portal...that could be helpful, let Monk or Holman move inside.
    I would very much like to see Monk move back inside. Is Kraeling up to the task at RT?

    Certainly, the unexpected attrition has opened some opportunities for Cut to upgrade the roster.

  5. #345
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would very much like to see Monk move back inside. Is Kraeling up to the task at RT?

    Certainly, the unexpected attrition has opened some opportunities for Cut to upgrade the roster.
    An experienced Kraeling being replaced by true freshman Monk (at not even his best position, that's guard as you say) has been a major, major disappointment. Hard to be confident about his prospects unless
    the new OL does his own assessment, coaches some guys up, and produces a more productive OL.

  6. #346
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    An experienced Kraeling being replaced by true freshman Monk (at not even his best position, that's guard as you say) has been a major, major disappointment. Hard to be confident about his prospects unless
    the new OL does his own assessment, coaches some guys up, and produces a more productive OL.
    Wohlabaugh will be a fifth-year senior next season at center and I'm not sure Duke has his replacement in the pipeline unless it's Monk. Perhaps he can go tackle to guard to center.

    I think we all hope that the new hire at OL will be an upgrade and that could benefit a lot of guys.

  7. #347
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm noting a rumor on TDD that there could be an offensive tackle beamed in from the portal...
    Interesting, the good side of the portal is it works both ways.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  8. #348
    Losing second teamers is a negative but only a slight one. Our starters have some trouble beating other teams starters. We need to upgrade the starters as a higher priority.
    On that note ESPN was replaying the Belk Bowl reminding me that the Cincinnati TE who caught the long winning pass was Travis Kelce. Need some kids like that.

  9. #349
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    One reason I don't like losing guys like Miller is the subsequent annual excuse that we are young and inexperienced.
    We had veteran tackles in Kraeling and Miller, replaced them with freshmen Monk and Holman, and declared ourselves young again.
    Given that Monk and Holman were merely OK this past season, that doesn't speak well of the development of Miller and Kraeling, both of whom had multiple offers from solid football schools.

    I've heard Cut argue that it's really good if you can redshirt your young guys, because they should be really good by the time their fourth and fifth years roll around. Fifth year exits mess up that strategy.

  10. #350
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Congrats V. O.






    Adam Rowe

    @AdamRoweTDD


    Highest rated recruit signed by
    @DukeFOOTBALL
    since 2000 https://247sports.com/college/duke/S...TimeRecruits/…
    Quote Tweet


    Bruce Feldman

    @BruceFeldmanCFB
    · Jan 13
    SOURCE: UCLA DL Coach Vince Oghobaase is going to #BC to become Boston College’s new defensive line coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  11. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Wohlabaugh will be a fifth-year senior next season at center and I'm not sure Duke has his replacement in the pipeline unless it's Monk. Perhaps he can go tackle to guard to center.

    I think we all hope that the new hire at OL will be an upgrade and that could benefit a lot of guys.
    we have will taylor (jr) as the back up and if we do get addison penn then would he not be the center of the future? seems most sites list him as a center.

  12. #352
    Cut should be on the phone with Chase Brice. But we know he won’t

  13. #353
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by pigskindevil View Post
    we have will taylor (jr) as the back up and if we do get addison penn then would he not be the center of the future? seems most sites list him as a center.
    True. But if Penn redshirts in 2020 then he would be a redshirt freshman in 2021, when Monk would be a junior. I would prefer Monk.

    Taylor's return is an inspiring story. But I'm not convinced he's an ACC-level starter. I would love for him to prove me wrong.

  14. #354
    so we have 4 open schollies right now. any thought on how we should fill them? freshman or transfers?
    per the offer list on 247 we have 5 offers that did not sign early in need positions
    james pogereic 6'7'' 270lb OT
    rashad battle 6'2'' 187lb CB
    these are the two i hope duke is all in on. both highly rated
    maleik faust 5'11'' 180lb S from charlotte
    lamy constant 6' 185lb RB
    michael drennen 5'11'' 196lb RB
    these are three who would be good but...
    there were some wr and dt kids but i think we are set there.
    my ''best case'' scenario is the first 2 to sign with us and then a portal OT and maybe a 1 year QB kid

  15. #355
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke football tweet -

    SCHEDULE UPDATE


    We get it.

    You want to know when the 2020 football schedule is coming out.

    We’ve got an answer.

    Wednesday, January 22. Stay tuned.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  16. #356
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke football tweet -

    SCHEDULE UPDATE


    We get it.

    You want to know when the 2020 football schedule is coming out.

    We’ve got an answer.

    Wednesday, January 22. Stay tuned.
    Notre Dame. Halloween Day. Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. It's road trip time.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  17. #357
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Notre Dame. Halloween Day. Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. It's road trip time.
    I need to get the “Eat Me” cake costume out of hock, but this could happen again.

    (If you’ve never been to ND for a game, it really is a bucket list thing.)
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  18. #358
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I need to get the “Eat Me” cake costume out of hock, but this could happen again.

    (If you’ve never been to ND for a game, it really is a bucket list thing.)
    We had OPK, Devil Deac, Stray Gator, Sage Grouse and more. The ND fans were the nicest imaginable -- before and even after the surprise Duke victory.

    The Duke seating section, while in the end zone is wa-a-a-y up high and affords a really good view of the field (plus Touchdown Jesus).

    I can't promise I'll be there, but I expect Ms Sage would look forward to spending Halloween with the grands in Oak Park.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  19. #359
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We had OPK, Devil Deac, Stray Gator, Sage Grouse and more. The ND fans were the nicest imaginable -- before and even after the surprise Duke victory.

    The Duke seating section, while in the end zone is wa-a-a-y up high and affords a really good view of the field (plus Touchdown Jesus).

    I can't promise I'll be there, but I expect Ms Sage would look forward to spending Halloween with the grands in Oak Park.
    And DaughterPK, who is now at Alabama and texted me that they are a basketball team when she was at the game over Auburn a few days ago. Proud papa.

    Would likely be there with SonPK this time, who will be starting the college search . . . .

    Enjoyed meeting Sage, Stray, and catching up with DD and the lovely Mrs.DD. And absolutely agree, the ND fans were disarmingly warm and welcoming. A fabulous trip.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  20. #360
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    ND fans were nice visitors to Durham this year, and of course we accommodated them by failing to show up on the football field. Not to make any broad generalities, but I've found that visits to most private schools are very enjoyable, e.g. I've gone to Northwestern many times, always a nice group of people there...none of the drunken haranguing I've seen elsewhere (e.g. UCONN, the absolute worst).

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Football: Offseason & Spring Practice
    By Acymetric in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 515
    Last Post: 08-02-2019, 12:22 PM
  2. Duke Football Offseason
    By Avvocato in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 793
    Last Post: 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM
  3. College Football 2017 - Not Duke Discussion
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 381
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 11:41 AM
  4. What Is Your Duke Offseason Wishlist?
    By DukeTrinity11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM
  5. DBR Survival Football discussion
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •