Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Duke OFFSEASON football...God forbid...havent we suffered enough??? 😈😈😈
    ?
    I totally don't follow. Offseason is where we build our optimism. Save that thought for November of next year, if things haven't turned out as we've hoped.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Duke OFFSEASON football...God forbid...havent we suffered enough??? 😈😈😈
    Nope, not at all.

We are very fortunate as Duke football fans to live in interesting times. The best part of being a sports fan is there is always next season.
    Bob Green

Back to Football

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Here's an interesting recently declared portal player who might be a good fit for Duke

Stanford o-lineman Devery Hamilton enters transfer portal

Stanford offensive lineman Devery Hamilton entered the transfer portal on Thursday afternoon, a source told 247Sports.

Hamilton started the first four games of the 2019 season for the Cardinal before suffering an injury against Oregon. The redshirt junior played in 11 games in 2018, starting six as a swing lineman. He started at right guard, left guard and left tackle. The Baltimore, Maryland native, came to Stanford as a four-star recruit. He ranked as the No. 252 overall prospect in the 2016 class.

The 6-foot-7, 301-pound lineman is the 11th Stanford player to transfer since the start of December, per a source

https://247sports.com/Article/Stanfo...rs--140372215/
    Finally we got back to football talk. A transfer with two seasons left would be worth the gamble of upsetting Cut's guys. And why so many Stanford transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Here's an interesting recently declared portal player who might be a good fit for Duke

Stanford o-lineman Devery Hamilton enters transfer portal

Stanford offensive lineman Devery Hamilton entered the transfer portal on Thursday afternoon, a source told 247Sports.

Hamilton started the first four games of the 2019 season for the Cardinal before suffering an injury against Oregon. The redshirt junior played in 11 games in 2018, starting six as a swing lineman. He started at right guard, left guard and left tackle. The Baltimore, Maryland native, came to Stanford as a four-star recruit. He ranked as the No. 252 overall prospect in the 2016 class.

The 6-foot-7, 301-pound lineman is the 11th Stanford player to transfer since the start of December, per a source

https://247sports.com/Article/Stanfo...rs--140372215/
    He is from Baltimore so that makes it a lot more possible, as there is an east coast connection. He was at Stanford for four years - does one enter the transfer portal to be a grad transfer (i.e. eligible the following year)? I assume that is his plan since he already redshirted a year.

11 players entering the transfer portal seems like a lot. Is there something going on at Stanford that I'm not aware of?

Not off season discussion but I really enjoyed Jim's front page article on 2019 Duke football. As usual, Jim nails it. If you have not read it yet, take a look. I'll be anxiously waiting on his next article.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Not off season discussion but I really enjoyed Jim's front page article on 2019 Duke football. As usual, Jim nails it. If you have not read it yet, take a look. I'll be anxiously waiting on his next article.

GoDuke!
    That was an excellent analysis...I might've added that soft defensive coaching calls were part of the problem with the D against Wake and Pitt late...along with the offense not staying on the field long enough - which Jim mentioned of course - and that's a problem not only late in each game, but late in the season in general...cumulative wear and tear on defensive bodies and defensive mindsets.

I'm guessing the "what went right" column will be shorter. Much shorter.

I'll also add this FTA: " Steve Spurrier always maintained that you should take a shot down-field as early as possible. Even if it doesn’t work, it gives the defense something to think about, especially cornerbacks." -- it seems as if this notion has never entered the skull of Zac Roper.

If I said that one more time (said it a thousand times here) you'd be sick of it. I'll let the best offensive mind ever at Duke say it for everyone. And make no mistake, when he was at Duke, and for a while at Florida, he was offensively way ahead of the national curve. Not at South Carolina, and certainly not at Washington...but yes, at Duke he was.

GoDuke!
    I second that. Really well done, thorough and honest. My only nit is that it should not be labelled "The Play" but rather "The Call". I also agree with the speculation about the message it sent the team about the coaches confidence in them. Which was further compounded by Cut's decision to not even attempt to go for the TD at the end of the first half against ND. The "WTF" look the offense gave the coaches/bench as they stood in formation doing nothing, not even attempting a play, while the clock ran down spoke volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That was an excellent analysis...I might've added that soft defensive coaching calls were part of the problem with the D against Wake and Pitt late...along with the offense not staying on the field long enough - which Jim mentioned of course - and that's a problem not only late in each game, but late in the season in general...cumulative wear and tear on defensive bodies and defensive mindsets.

I'm guessing the "what went right" column will be shorter. Much shorter.

I'll also add this FTA: " Steve Spurrier always maintained that you should take a shot down-field as early as possible. Even if it doesn’t work, it gives the defense something to think about, especially cornerbacks." -- it seems as if this notion has never entered the skull of Zac Roper.

If I said that one more time (said it a thousand times here) you'd be sick of it. I'll let the best offensive mind ever at Duke say it for everyone. And make no mistake, when he was at Duke, and for a while at Florida, he was offensively way ahead of the national curve. Not at South Carolina, and certainly not at Washington...but yes, at Duke he was.
    The plays Roper ran over and over drove me nuts(short drive). Did it ever occur to him that opposing coaches saw that when preparing for Duke. Not throwing the ball down field probably had the most to do with offensive failures and the offensive line failing to do their job coming in a close 2nd. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    I second that. Really well done, thorough and honest. My only nit is that it should not be labelled "The Play" but rather "The Call". I also agree with the speculation about the message it sent the team about the coaches confidence in them. Which was further compounded by Cut's decision to not even attempt to go for the TD at the end of the first half against ND. The "WTF" look the offense gave the coaches/bench as they stood in formation doing nothing, not even attempting a play, while the clock ran down spoke volumes.
    The decision not to run a play or two at the end of the half against ND was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever had regarding any Duke coaching staff ever. Indefensible. Horrid. I can't even fathom the thought process that ended with that outcome.

Still makes me see red. No wonder our offense became what it did.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The decision not to run a play or two at the end of the half against ND was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever had regarding any Duke coaching staff ever. Indefensible. Horrid. I can't even fathom the thought process that ended with that outcome.

Fall 1975, last game of the season against carolina, my senior year. Score tied, we have the ball with under a minute to go. Mike McGee called a run up the middle to preserve the tie rather than take a chance to win the game (or chance losing if it was a pick 6). I was so upset at not trying for the win that I destroyed my folding chair like Serena destroys a tennis racket when she loses...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

And in that vein, how about shutting the offense down for the entire second half against Ga Tech??? The O was NEVER the same after that second half against Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    Agree on ND...as for "the call" versus the Cheats...what made it really horrible was the fact it was the first down call, and the fact that they gave a player an assignment who was totally unprepared for that assignment. I think Duke's only successfully done that pop pass with a RB once...they have numerous successes with the QB throwing the pass. With a QB like Harris who runs a lot near the goal line, having Harris throw it had a much much greater chance of working. This speaks to no feel for the game or your players.

The plays Roper ran over and over drove me nuts(short drive). Did it ever occur to him that opposing coaches saw that when preparing for Duke. Not throwing the ball down field probably had the most to do with offensive failures and the offensive line failing to do their job coming in a close 2nd. GoDuke!
    Where is the BANG HEAD icon???? And BTW, I agree with O line, but I'll also add that poor play calling hurts your O line.

You guys are exaggerating. I thought the use of useless bubble screens was down at least 50 percent this year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You guys are exaggerating. I thought the use of useless bubble screens was down at least 50 percent this year.
    Maybe catches on useless bubble screens was down 50%.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

...but the average gain was probably less than half too....so the net damage the same...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Maybe catches on useless bubble screens was down 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...but the average gain was probably less than half too...so the net damage the same...
    I wasn't clear, and I may have implied falsely that there were "useful" bubble screens. I should have said, "always totally useless bubble screens."
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 12-14-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Some day a cornerback will be stung by a bee and the bubble play goes all the way

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Some day a cornerback will be stung by a bee and the bubble play goes all the way
    Yes, next year against Elon, which will prove the concept successful. Kind of like Horvath banking in the 3 to beat DePaul; then continuing to miss 3s the rest of his career.

I believe it would be beneficial to the very popular “bubble screen” topic to define the term because every outside screen pass is not a bubble screen.

Bubble screen - a type of screen pass where a receiver or tight end moves toward the sideline at the snap of the ball to receive an immediate pass from the quarterback.

http://insidethepylon.com/football-1...bubble-screen/

A different wide receiver screen is the tunnel screen also referred to as the jailbreak screen or plain old wide receiver screen. For this screen pass, the receiver is moving from outside to inside toward the quarterback.

Both plays require a couple of skills Duke seems to be lacking, a fast shifty receiver combined with good blocking, on the outside, by other receivers. As demonstrated in the link above, Alabama with Jerry Jeudy uses a bubble screen effectively. Duke achieved success with Jamison Crowder.

I am optimistic we will see effective use of outside screens in the coming seasons but it is dependent upon Trooper Taylor teaching our wide receivers how to block.

Finally, getting to my point, there is nothing wrong with running bubble and tunnel screens as part of the offense but they have to complement downfield passing and the running game instead of being a staple play. I like wide receiver screen passes, unfortunately, Duke does a poor job executing the play.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Finally, getting to my point, there is nothing wrong with running bubble and tunnel screens as part of the offense but they have to complement downfield passing and the running game instead of being a staple play. I like wide receiver screen passes, unfortunately, Duke does a poor job executing the play.
    This, exactly.

There is a lot of merit in spreading the defense wide by getting the ball to the flanks quickly. But if you do not also spread the defense deep, all they have to do is keep the secondary fairly compact and then react as soon as the ball swings out.

Of course, you need an offensive line giving good protection for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This, exactly.

There is a lot of merit in spreading the defense wide by getting the ball to the flanks quickly. But if you do not also spread the defense deep, all they have to do is keep the secondary fairly compact and then react as soon as the ball swings out.

Of course, you need an offensive line giving good protection for that too.
    I would largely agree with what you said, with a minor quibble on your last point. Certainly it takes good protection to have double/triple move routes develop downfield...but there are two step drop passes that can stretch the defense too...simple go routes with a lofted pass...aimed to land maybe 35-40 yards downfield. This makes the D cover 40 yards instead of 5, with roughly the same timing.

QH was actually pretty good on those type passes, until he lost confidence in everything...and there was some success on those routes this year. But they didn't run them enough, and not early enough, to spread the defense length wise. If memory serves, we scored on a nice play like this against UVa, on a day when nothing else worked. But it was late in the game.

And as 'the ole ball coach' said, even if you don't complete it, it puts the defense a bit on their heels. This in and of itself would help pass protection.