Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Per Adam Rowe on Twitter, redshirt junior LB Jacob Morgenstern will enter the transfer portal.
    I've seen his name on the roster for/four years and rarely recall hearing his name during games but did spot his # a few times on special teams.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Spring practice

Any word on which of our signees will enroll this January?

There is a lot to be excited about with Jalon Calhoun who led the team in receptions (46), receiving yards (420), receiving TDs (4) and longest reception (49). However, I’m going to temper my expectations by laying off the Jamison Crowder comparisons for the time being. Crowder had over 1,000 yards receiving in three of his four seasons.

Duke has a lot of young talent at receiver that could blossom into stars. A guy I believe has a huge upside is Darrell Harding, Jr. He is big at 6’4” 210 and averaged 16.3 yards per catch. Jake Bobo and Eli Pancol are other guys worthy of excitement.
    I was one who made a very slight comparison to Crowder, who may be my favorite Duke player of all time. I think the skill set is close - at least in the ability to make the first guy miss and turn plays into something special. Crowder played on some better teams with some better schemes and better QB play. I hope Calhoun gets a chance to do so.

I am also a big Bobo fan and hope an improved offense can demonstrate his skill next season.

I would also be interested Bob in your take on Philyaw-Johnson as a WR. We know what he can do on a KO, and it's not just the ones he scored on. He does a good job on all of them that I've seen him return.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was one who made a very slight comparison to Crowder, who may be my favorite Duke player of all time. I think the skill set is close - at least in the ability to make the first guy miss and turn plays into something special. Crowder played on some better teams with some better schemes and better QB play. I hope Calhoun gets a chance to do so.

I am also a big Bobo fan and hope an improved offense can demonstrate his skill next season.

I would also be interested Bob in your take on Philyaw-Johnson as a WR. We know what he can do on a KO, and it's not just the ones he scored on. He does a good job on all of them that I've seen him return.
    The Crowder comparisons may come if Calhoun puts up much better numbers in upcoming seasons but for now I will wait and see.

I like the idea of Philyaw-Johnson as a WR - take the top off the defense speed but his longest career reception is 26 yards, his second longest is 14. Perhaps there is too much talent in front of him. Perhaps he will be a late bloomer. Confidence is vital and his performance at KR has to be a big boost.
    Bob Green

The Crowder comparisons may come if Calhoun puts up much better numbers in upcoming seasons but for now I will wait and see.

I like the idea of Philyaw-Johnson as a WR - take the top off the defense speed but his longest career reception is 26 yards, his second longest is 14. Perhaps there is too much talent in front of him. Perhaps he will be a late bloomer. Confidence is vital and his performance at KR has to be a big boost.
    Certainly, when he lines up at WR, the defense will know who he is and about his speed. That alone should open things up....

Per Adam Rowe on Twitter, redshirt junior LB Jacob Morgenstern will enter the transfer portal.
    Duke should enter into a marketing/sponsorship deal and sell naming rights to its door into the transfer portal.

"Jacob Morgenstern will enter the United Van Lines transfer portal."

I mentioned in the Miami thread that nobody talks about Eli Pancol. I think he scored touchdowns the first three times he touched the ball as a receiver. He also had a rushing touchdown. What happened to him? Was he injured? Why wasn’t he targeted more? For a team that needed scoring he seemed to be special. Maybe somebody closer to the program can explain what happened.

I have a lot of confidence in Calhoun but wonder if anyone will be able to get him the ball on target.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I mentioned in the Miami thread that nobody talks about Eli Pancol. I think he scored touchdowns the first three times he touched the ball as a receiver. He also had a rushing touchdown. What happened to him? Was he injured? Why wasn’t he targeted more? For a team that needed scoring he seemed to be special. Maybe somebody closer to the program can explain what happened.
    Pancol was not injured. He played in all 12 games.

In regard to the rushing TD, Duke shied away from the Triple Option offense as the season progressed. Pancol's rushing attempts came out off that set.

I don't know why he wasn't targeted more other than to say he was a victim of the broken offense.
    Bob Green

Luca Diamont highlight tape from his senior season:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6582921...eb1113b0675d00

It appears he throws an accurate deep ball hitting receivers in stride. There are some good clips of Diamont playing safety on defense as well including a Pick 6 that show off his athleticism.
    Bob Green

It appears he throws an accurate deep ball hitting receivers in stride. There are some good clips of Diamont playing safety on defense as well including a Pick 6 that show off his athleticism.
    Will he definitely sign his LOA or whatever it’s called? Also, if our OC decides to institute the Veer offense next year, sounds like Luca can play CB or safety.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Will he definitely sign his LOA or whatever it’s called? Also, if our OC decides to institute the Veer offense next year, sounds like Luca can play CB or safety.
    He's planning on enrolling early so it would be pretty surprising if we lost him.

It seems he's dipped to a 3* this year...on Rivals, ESPN and 24/7. I did find an article where in fall of 2018 he was 4* prospect. But Bama offered him a scholarship, so that's saying something.

Luca is still a four star on ESPN.
    http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...150/class/2020
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Luca is still a four star on ESPN.
    Does he live on the second floor?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If Cut hears something late at night, will he ask him what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Or maybe run down to Tom’s Diner for a cup of coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Yep, I read that too quickly earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Or maybe run down to Tom’s Diner for a cup of coffee?
    Let's just hope we have someone left of center to protect Luca.

In 2019, Duke was favored in five games ... and won five games.
    https://www.vegasinsider.com/college...cfm/team/duke

We were predicted to lose to VT ... and won.
    We were predicted to beat Pitt ... and lost.

We were 9 point favorites over Syracuse ... and lost.
    We were 9 point underdogs to Miami ... and won.

Throw out the big (double digit) spreads (loss to Bama; wins over NCAT & GT) ... that leaves 9 single-digit spreads. We were predicted to go 3-6 in those games and did overall (though we lost 2 of the 3 games we were favorites in).
    -9 (syr) ... -6.5 (@mtsu) ... -3.5 (pitt) ||||||||||||| +2.5 (@vt) ... +3 (@unc) ... +3.5 (@uva) ... +6.5 (@wfu) ... +7 (nd) ... +9 (mia)

Sort of nuts that we lost the biggest single-digit favorite and won the biggest single-digit underdog game.