Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Football -- Offseason Discussion

In the spirit of "next play" I think a new thread was warranted. So here it is.

What are folks looking for in the off-season, and are there prospects for grad transfers of note?

Well done sir.

Moving my post about possible QB transfer option

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...r-nfl-transfer

Would be interesting to see Franks after a year with Cutcliffe.

to put it bluntly: a serious look at whether some of the assistants are performing as well as necessary.
    1200. DDMF.

Elijah Moore as a dog may not hunt, but he does doggy things:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...bowl-eligible/

and may join half his team in the transfer porta-john, I mean portal ...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ng-per-player/

Lots of transfer candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Elijah Moore as a dog may not hunt, but he does doggy things:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...bowl-eligible/

Pretty sure that Elijah Moore needs to run away from home -- er, Ole Miss.

Tough situation for the next coach to walk into, when half the team is threatening to leave.

Since no one knows where Coach Luke will end up, and no one knows whether any of the players will follow him, what are we doing here? Moreover, no one knows if Cut would want, or even be able, to pick up any Ole Miss transferee wannabe regardless of Luke's situation, so what's this discussion about? The only thing known is that Luke got fired. Not much of a predicate for anything Duke, even if Luke has a Duke/Cut connection.

I understand that we love to speculate here, but this seems far too early for any speculation.

Now get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    ... Not much of a predicate for anything Duke, even if Luke has a Duke/Cut connection.

Now get off my lawn!

Luke rhymes with Duke … For the internet, that's darn near a cinch.

And Elijah could help water that lawn ...

Not sure about Ole Miss players transferring here but would really love to get Coach Luke back on our staff and then pick up some other good coaches and get rid of Roper to start.
    Franks would be an interesting pick up to help with our QB situation for next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Not sure about Ole Miss players transferring here but would really love to get Coach Luke back on our staff and then pick up some other good coaches and get rid of Roper to start.
    Franks would be an interesting pick up to help with our QB situation for next year as well.
    Sorry, but seeing Coach and Franks so close together in association with Duke Football, is making me jumpy.

Go Devils!!!!!
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be shocked if Duke looked for a QB in the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    The team is in a unique situation so past precedence might be thrown out the window. Career passing stats for projected QBs:

1. Chris Katrenick, 8 - 25, 103 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
    2. Gunnar Holmberg, 0 - 0 (missed entire redshirt freshman season due to leg injury)
    3. Luca Diamont, 0 - 0 (will be a true freshman)

That is a ridiculously small amount of experience at QB. I have no idea whether or not Coach Cutcliffe is interested in a transfer QB but I certainly would not be shocked if he signs one.
    Bob Green

If Duke does indeed look at the transfer portal, would our 4 star recruit decommit? I want to see Coach Cut recruit and develop his own QB. I know that may take a year or two but lightning could strike and we get a jewel of a QB. Plus we may have Gunner back from his injury and he should know the system pretty well. I'm more concerned with our present OC. I think firing him and getting a good replacement is the number one priority with developing a good offensive line coming in a close 2nd. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Duke does indeed look at the transfer portal, would our 4 star recruit decommit? I want to see Coach Cut recruit and develop his own QB. I know that may take a year or two but lightning could strike and we get a jewel of a QB. Plus we may have Gunner back from his injury and he should know the system pretty well. I'm more concerned with our present OC. I think firing him and getting a good replacement is the number one priority with developing a good offensive line coming in a close 2nd. GoDuke!
    He very likely wouldn't play next year anyway, so why would he? He signed knowing that Gunnar is there, and if another guy comes in for only one season, that wont affect anything.
    IF we do pickup a transfer, I'm guessing that we might see more dual QB usage next season than we have in a surprisingly long while. If we don't add anyone, it's going to be a very interesting to see if Katrenick can step up and impress more than he has so far.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Rebels offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt made his comments following a team meeting with athletic director Keith Carter. "But you realize, there's no program without players," Tuitt said. "You're basing stuff off the fans. But we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest. We're here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault."
    That quote pretty much shoots to hell that Duke can't get players because Wallace Wade is empty, right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The team is in a unique situation so past precedence might be thrown out the window. Career passing stats for projected QBs:

1. Chris Katrenick, 8 - 25, 103 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
    2. Gunnar Holmberg, 0 - 0 (missed entire redshirt freshman season due to leg injury)
    3. Luca Diamont, 0 - 0 (will be a true freshman)

That is a ridiculously small amount of experience at QB. I have no idea whether or not Coach Cutcliffe is interested in a transfer QB but I certainly would not be shocked if he signs one.
    Cut hand picks his QBs. You may be right, the injury to Holmberg may have set him back a year. It would be well outside Cuts S.O.P. to take on a QB he has never worked with.

Cut hand picks his QBs. You may be right, the injury to Holmberg may have set him back a year. It would be well outside Cuts S.O.P. to take on a QB he has never worked with.
    I agree with your points but next season’s situation is unique. When is the last time Duke entered a season without an experienced QB on the roster ready to continue as or step in as the starter? I believe 2020 will be the first time.

Daniel Jones started as a redshirt freshman but that was after Thomas Sirk injured his Achilles’ tendon in August.

You might be correct that Coach Cutcliffe won’t be interested in a transfer but the terrain certainly seems ripe to see something different.
    Bob Green

Bentley

USC's Jake Bentley won't return next year and is looking for another place to play as a grad transfer. Just mentioning a possible option.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    ... I want to see Coach Cut recruit and develop his own QB. ...GoDuke!
    Edited the above for brevity.

Throw all the stones you want, watching Cut recruit and develop his own QB is not an internet hill I’d want to die on.

Impossible to say how they’d be different without Cut, and yet...Jones? Renfree? Boone? Connette? Sirk?

There’s a difference between “consistently produces NFL quarterbacks” and “develops QBs.”

If anyone thinks all our QBs aren’t better off than where they started before coming to Duke under Cut, I’ll have some of what you are having.

I’d say the program is at a crossroads where an open competition among the best possible QBs on the roster is a healthy situation. If that means accepting the right transfer QB to have a shot, seems reasonable to me.

Not sure we shouldn’t be looking at OL transfers to protect whoever ends up back there.

A: You know this for sure?
    B: What does that even mean?
    C: Are you saying this means he will, or will not, pursue transfers?