Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hollywood Award season (Oscars, Globes, and so on)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My ballot for the Atlanta Film Critics Circle is due on Sunday and I am really torn for the #1 film of the year... 4 contenders that I really am having trouble distinguishing among (and I just got my awards screeners for Little Women and Parasite, which could easily enter the fray from what I have heard): Knives Out, 1917, Endgame, and The Irishman. Could not be 4 more different films. Hmmmmm.
    So, here is the ballot I submitted earlier today:

BEST PICTURE
    1. Knives Out
    2. 1917
    3. Avengers: Endgame
    4. Parasite
    5. The Irishman
    (Ford v Ferrari was my #6)

BEST LEAD ACTOR
    1. Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
    2. George MacKay - 1917
    3. Adam Sandler – Uncut Gems

BEST LEAD ACTRESS
    1. Rene Zellwegger - Judy
    2. Lupita Nyongo - Us
    3. Saoirse Ronan – Little Women

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    1. Tom Hanks - Neighborhood
    2. Joe Pesci - The Irishman
    3. Chris Evans – Knives Out

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    1. Park So-dam - Parasite
    2. Maggie Smith – Downton Abby
    3. Margot Robbie – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
    1. Knives Out
    2. Parasite
    3. 1917

BEST DIRECTOR
    1. Sam Mendes - 1917
    2. Bong Joon-ho - Parasite
    3. Rian Johnson – Knives Out

BEST SCREENPLAY
    1. Rian Johnson – Knives Out
    2. James Mangold and others – Ford v Ferrari
    3. Bong Joon-ho - Parasite

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILM
    1. Apollo 11
    2. The Amazing Johnathan
    3. Tell Me Who I Am

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
    1. Parasite
    2. Incitement

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    1. Toy Story 4
    2. (intentionally left blank)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    1. Roger Deakins - 1917
    2. Phedon Papamichael – Ford v Ferrari
    3. Steve Yedlin – Knives Out

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    1. Thomas Newman - 1917
    2. Hildur Guđnadóttir - Joker
    3. Alan Silverstri – Avengers: Endgame

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER
    Kelvin Harrison Jr - Luce and Waves

BEST FIRST FILM
    Josh Cooley - Toy Story 4

-Jason "we are one of the first critic groups to announce awards and will announce tomorrow... most of my picks did quite well" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I still don't understand the love for Endgame as a stand-alone movie. Thought Infinity War was the better of the two halves. Endgame is bloated and spends half of the film going back into its older films.

It does a pretty good job wrapping up the saga, but I'm a little surprised to see it popping up on 'best of' lists. Favorite? Sure. Best? Ehhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I still don't understand the love for Endgame as a stand-alone movie. Thought Infinity War was the better of the two halves. Endgame is bloated and spends half of the film going back into its older films.

It does a pretty good job wrapping up the saga, but I'm a little surprised to see it popping up on 'best of' lists. Favorite? Sure. Best? Ehhhh...
    Agreed. I think any love Endgame gets for that category is basically a lifetime achievement award for the MCU.

Did not know there was a documentary on The Amazing Johnathan, will need to track that down.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Agreed. I think any love Endgame gets for that category is basically a lifetime achievement award for the MCU.
    Didn't the same thing pretty much apply with Lord of the Rings :ROTK?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Perhaps some, but I would argue the LoTR movies are worlds better than the Marvel films. Endgame is a fine movie, not sure it's one of the 20 best this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Probably, but RotK was probably a better overall movie than Endgame (although I'm not a huge fan of the LotR movies generally). That movie sure was long, though, I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to leave the theater. I got grounded for getting home late because I didn't realize the movie had a 12 hour* runtime. And now I just realized how long ago that movie came out.

*Only a slight exaggeration.

Endgame is a fine movie, not sure it's one of the 20 best this year.
    Certainly folks can have varying opinions about movies, but I can tell you that I was most assuredly not alone in my critics group in picking Endgame as one of the 10 best films of the year. Most end of year "best film" lists tend to be filled with films released in the winter, not summer blockbusters, so it really speaks volumes about the quality of Endgame that many critics are reaching back many months to include it.

The film is at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is obviously a very high score. I can tell you that no one batted an eye when I told my critic's group that it was in my top 5.

The AFCC just released our full awards list. Here is how we voted for best picture:

1. PARASITE
    2. THE IRISHMAN
    3. MARRIAGE STORY
    4. ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
    5. 1917
    6. LITTLE WOMEN
    7. UNCUT GEMS
    8. KNIVES OUT
    9. PAIN AND GLORY
    10. APOLLO 11
    11. AVENGERS: ENDGAME
    12. FORD V. FERRARI
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

But but but not DiCaprio best supporting?

His acting in the movie within the movie was something else again, too,
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Here is the podcast where me and my critic partner Josh make our Oscar picks in the major categories.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/02...eir-oscar.html

No love for Jamie Foxx or for Michael B. Jordan in Just Mercy?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No love for Jamie Foxx or for Michael B. Jordan in Just Mercy?
    I'm guessing you are implying one of them should have gotten an Oscar nomination in one of the acting categories. I always say that if you are going to say that someone got snubbed you need to identify which performance should be removed from consideration so your "snub" can be included.

So, which of these would you take out to add in Foxx and Jordan?

Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    Leo Dicaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Joe Pesci, The Irishman
    Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Personally, I don't think Foxx or Jordan should replace any of these names. If there had been 7 or 8 nominees, I could see Foxx making the cut, but that's about it.

-Jason "Taron Edgerton is the biggest snub in my mind... I'd put him up instead of Leo or Banderas" Evans

Parasite is an amazing piece of cinema. I thought 1917 should win Best Picture. I don't anymore.

I'm guessing you are implying one of them should have gotten an Oscar nomination in one of the acting categories. I always say that if you are going to say that someone got snubbed you need to identify which performance should be removed from consideration so your "snub" can be included.

So, which of these would you take out to add in Foxx and Jordan?

Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    Leo Dicaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Joe Pesci, The Irishman
    Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Personally, I don't think Foxx or Jordan should replace any of these names. If there had been 7 or 8 nominees, I could see Foxx making the cut, but that's about it.

-Jason "Taron Edgerton is the biggest snub in my mind... I'd put him up instead of Leo or Banderas" Evans
    You make a good point, Jason. I think Jamie Foxx was certainly one of the "First Four Out," though, to use a braketology expression.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Janelle Monae with strong Midsommar vibes in the opening performance. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Janelle Monae with strong Midsommar vibes in the opening performance. Interesting.
    James Corden and Rebel Wilson come out in full Cats costumes for the visual effects award. Priceless.

Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig pair for a nice bit, as do Will Ferrell and JLD

Whoa. It’s Parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Whoa. It’s Parasite.
    After Bong won Best Screenplay and Best Director, it was sorta obvious that Parasite was going to make history. A very well-deserving winner and an amazing film. This win will probably inspire 10-million more Americans to see this film (streaming or DVD or in theaters) which is a great thing and a triumph for those of us who think subtitles should not be a death sentence for a film.

After Bong won Best Screenplay and Best Director, it was sorta obvious that Parasite was going to make history. A very well-deserving winner and an amazing film. This win will probably inspire 10-million more Americans to see this film (streaming or DVD or in theaters) which is a great thing and a triumph for those of us who think subtitles should not be a death sentence for a film.
    Maybe but haven’t there been more best director-best picture splits this past decade than not? Sure still felt like a surprise from where I was sitting even if the earlier wins made it more likely.

Sort of an Asian night at the Oscars - Parasite x4, Waititi, Tsuji