Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Janelle Monae with strong Midsommar vibes in the opening performance. Interesting.
    Hhhmm, "interesting" says a bit, doesn't it? I saw her when she first came up years ago, performing a set with Prince at MSG. She's certainly built herself a platform.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Just wish these people would keep their political views to themselves while accepting an award. Just shut up and act. I won't watch these shows because I don't care what they think. It's their own opinion, they are entitled to it, but there's a time and a place.

Redbox offered rewards points for correct Academy Award picks for the following categories:

Picture
    Director
    Actor
    Actress
    Supporting Actor
    Supporting Actress
    Writing (original screenplay)
    Writing (adapted screenplay)
    Animated Feature Film
    Visual Effects

I did manage to get 5 of them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Just wish these people would keep their political views to themselves while accepting an award. Just shut up and act. I won't watch these shows because I don't care what they think. It's their own opinion, they are entitled to it, but there's a time and a place.
    If they want to spend their acceptance speech on something that's important to them, who am I to stop them? Rather hear them talk about something they're passionate about than thanking some random people.

Personally, I'd love to see someone sell their speech time as an advertisement. Get up there and ramble about GEICO or some other random company for a minute. Reactions would be priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Redbox offered rewards points for correct Academy Award picks for the following categories:

Picture
    Director
    Actor
    Actress
    Supporting Actor
    Supporting Actress
    Writing (original screenplay)
    Writing (adapted screenplay)
    Animated Feature Film
    Visual Effects

I did manage to get 5 of them right.
    I was in a pool and I came in 2nd. These were my picks in those categories:

Picture - 1917 (wrong)
    Director - Bong (right)
    Actor - Joaquin (right)
    Actress - Rene (right)
    Supporting Actor - Brad (right)
    Supporting Actress - Laura (right)
    Writing (original screenplay) - Bong (right)
    Writing (adapted screenplay) - Taika (right)
    Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 4 (right)
    Visual Effects - Avengers: Endgame (wrong)

The only other ones I missed were Editing, Sound Editing (I thought Joker would get some love there), and then I missed Documentary short.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    If they want to spend their acceptance speech on something that's important to them, who am I to stop them? Rather hear them talk about something they're passionate about than thanking some random people.

Personally, I'd love to see someone sell their speech time as an advertisement. Get up there and ramble about GEICO or some other random company for a minute. Reactions would be priceless.
    Entertainers, athletes and the like are so low on my "do I care if they use their platform to talk about politics" list that they barely register. Pastors, priests, teachers, workplace superiors, etc, however, are VERY high on the same list and, unfortunately, too many of them do it.

That being said, Joaquin Phoenix really annoys me when he talks...but "am I annoyed" is different than "do I care".

Not sure this is too surprising but viewership was wayyy down this year.

Per Variety:

23.6 million viewers tuned in on Sunday night to see “Parasite” sweep to a surprise victory. That’s a 20%, 6 million viewer drop-off from last year. The Academy’s second hostless show in a row scored a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49 in the fast national ratings, a 31% dip from 2019.

For comparison, last year’s Oscars delivered a 7.7 rating in adults 18-49 and 29.6 million viewers. That viewership figure, while up 12% from 2018, represented the second smallest audience ever for an Academy Awards telecast at the time. 2018 delivered the previous smallest viewership tally with 26.5 million viewers.

On a personal note, I was loving Bong Joon-Ho. I wish he won every single award and had to give a different speech each time. He was genuinely excited and gracious. Was great to see. His call-out to Scorsese was the best moment of the night for me.

As for Joaquin... As an actor, he is damn good. As a public speaker, he is... hard to follow. If you had to make a list of biggest hypocrites in the room last night, he might have come in at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    On a personal note, I was loving Bong Joon-Ho. I wish he won every single award and had to give a different speech each time. He was genuinely excited and gracious. Was great to see. His call-out to Scorsese was the best moment of the night for me.

As for Joaquin... As an actor, he is damn good. As a public speaker, he is... hard to follow. If you had to make a list of biggest hypocrites in the room last night, he might have come in at #1.
    Might?!?!

And I too adored the Scorsese moment in Bong's speech. It felt so genuine.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Might?!?!

And I too adored the Scorsese moment in Bong's speech. It felt so genuine.
    The best Scorsese call out was Martin(?) congratulating him for "Season 1" of The Irishman.

I watched Parasite a few nights ago and enjoyed it. I'm not a film aficionado or expert --- but, let's say I was having a few chardonnays with a group of them, why would we all agree Parasite was the best film of the year? The things that made it exceptional and a cut above the rest of the field? The things that stuck out to me were it's very efficient, economical storytelling. It struck me as a small story with big themes. Not knowing about such things it's rare that I am conscious of technical aspects of films but I was in this film and appreciated the preciseness of the visuals, the score choices, etc.

The twist about mid-way through the film made sense but didn't catch me off guard (I had read very little about the film beforehand so wasn't expecting anything in particular though I had general awareness of it's themes.) While I appreciated the economical narrative, I also found it somewhat simple and few of the characters particularly compelling with the exception of the Kim father and Park mother.

So, what's the case for this as the first international best picture? It wasn't immediately obvious to me is what I'm saying and I've seen a decent number of high quality international films.

I watched Judy on my plane ride from San Diego to Atlanta yesterday. A tremendous performance by Rene Zellweger and a tragic story. Judy Garland was a Super Star who ended up basically homeless before dying from drug overdose at 47. The star of an iconic movie. An abuser of drugs and alcohol who was fed pills, by the movie studio, as a young girl so she wouldn’t gain weight.

I knew the Judy Garland story before watching the movie but seeing it unfold on film impacted me.
    Bob Green