Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Tons of interesting individual matchup issues in this game (as others in the thread have pointed out, the question of how effectively Tillman guards Carey is a big one), but none are bigger than the obvious one: the Jones/Winston showdown. Winston is responsible for SO MUCH of the Spartans offense running smoothly this year that, if Tre can disrupt him to an significant degree one-on-one, I like Duke's chances despite our own obvious difficulties on offense. That said, part of makes Winston so good is how undisruptable he is. His patience is just so impressive.
    It also helps that his go-to move is an offensive foul that the refs refuse to call. He's the absolute king of the push-off, and yet, is impervious to referees' whistles. It'd be impressive if it wasn't so kick-you-in-the-pills annoying and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    It also helps that his go-to move is an offensive foul that the refs refuse to call. He's the absolute king of the push-off, and yet, is impervious to referees' whistles. It'd be impressive if it wasn't so kick-you-in-the-pills annoying and frustrating.
    You are correct that their Cassius is the king of the push-off and I'm dumbfounded why the refs refuse to call it. Michigan State teams(Rizzo) play a rugged style of basketball that sometimes resemble football or rugby. Their moving screens bother me the most. But I forgot, Duke get's all the calls. With Winston sure to run the picknroll with their center, I hope Carey doesn't get into foul trouble. Maybe Javin can get it going and play good defense without getting into foul trouble, Something tells me he'll be needed in this tough battle and I hope he's up to the task.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Ugh, too true. Though I'll never be able to be tooooooo critical of that "move" after watching Greg Paulus handle the ball against pressure for four years... Still, while it could be just self-justification, I do feel like Winston uses that off-arm push it to gain advantage in a way Greg never did. Greg just wanted space to breathe; Winston actively deploys it in the half-court.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    You are correct that their Cassius is the king of the push-off and I'm dumbfounded why the refs refuse to call it. Michigan State teams(Rizzo) play a rugged style of basketball that sometimes resemble football or rugby. Their moving screens bother me the most. But I forgot, Duke get's all the calls. With Winston sure to run the picknroll with their center, I hope Carey doesn't get into foul trouble. Maybe Javin can get it going and play good defense without getting into foul trouble, Something tells me he'll be needed in this tough battle and I hope he's up to the task.
    GoDuke!
    Winston doesn't push off, he's controlling his space, much like James Harden. Y'all need to brush up on understanding the regulations. Especially in how the rule of verticality extends to the rule of horizontally. This rules video provides a good overview.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Winston doesn't push off, he's controlling his space, much like James Harden. Y'all need to brush up on understanding the regulations. Especially in how the rule of verticality extends to the rule of horizontally. This rules video provides a good overview.
    Nice deadpan - I watched the video

I’m definitely watching Michigan and Louisville, and at least the first half of our game. Both are supposed to be very good. I’ve watched Carolina, and I’m not overly impressed. People are making a big deal about Michigan “upsetting” them. I don’t see it as an upset.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Interesting development: Izzo says he’s not expecting Langford back this season. Could be gamesmanship, but it’s looking like this is the MSU team we may see all season.
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...te/2589585001/

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Interesting development: Izzo says he’s not expecting Langford back this season. Could be gamesmanship, but it’s looking like this is the MSU team we may see all season.
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...te/2589585001/
    Really sorry to hear this. Langford is a warrior, and I hate to see any kid injured.

Best of luck with recovery.

Draymond Green's Jersey to be Retired Tonight

This has no direct bearing on the action on-court, unless Draymond gives Nutcracker pointers to current MSU players. GSW HC Kerr and several teammates(incl. Klay but not Steph) of Green's are supposed to attend.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ed/2486325001/
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Really sorry to hear this. Langford is a warrior, and I hate to see any kid injured.

Best of luck with recovery.
    As usual, I strongly agree. A lifetime of hard work can be destroyed in a split second. Probably the saddest event in sports.

It would be nice to see Duke get hot from three point land tonight. Hope K gives Hurt and Baker a lot of minutes and it wouldn't bother me to see AOC contribute mightily to the cause either. Go Duke!

It will be really interesting to see who steps out in the starting lineup tonight.

After Hurt's strong last game against Winthrop, I expect him to join Tre and Vernon. That's 3 scorers on the floor, so I'll go with Goldwire and Moore as defensive starters with Tre+Goldwire+Moore working to make Cassius Winston as uncomfortable as possible. Do we do some doubling on the high screen and roll to get the ball out of his hands and make other players beat us?

But I wouldn't be that surprised to see either Baker or White in the starting lineup as others have predicted. I would be surprised to see AOC start, but I hope he gets a chance this game or next to play his way back into the rotation.

It will be interesting to see which of our young guys among the trio of Hurt, Baker and O'Connell contend well with MSU's physicality.

MSU 6-6.5 favorite. About what I'd expect after seeing us play at home. We are weak defending inside, and no too good on inside offense. Seems like not enough strength there.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    MSU 6-6.5 favorite. About what I'd expect after seeing us play at home. We are weak defending inside, and no too good on inside offense. Seems like not enough strength there.
    According to one article, Michigan State's weaknesses has been lack of inside scoring. Could it be a "resistible force" versus a "Movable object?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    According to one article, Michigan State's weaknesses has been lack of inside scoring. Could it be a "resistible force" versus a "Movable object?"
    That's correct. The only one of MSU's top six scorers who operates in the paint is Xavier Tillman. But Tillman doesn't create his own offense: he largely gets his points off of Winston's creation and the occasional putback.

Should we be concerned about MSU on the offensive glass? Absolutely, it's a Tom Izzo team after all, and Tillman is a veteran. Do we need to worry about a big man creating his own offense, like Nick Ward could do in the post for MSU last year? In all likelihood, no.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Tonight is a game for men, older men, one which will require incredible verve.

I don’t expect us to win, but it would be a lot cooler if we did.

I am mostly interested to see who shows up and doesn’t play scared. That arena and crowd will be loaded for bear, a great test for our youngins.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    HAH, I asked the very same question in FB about Syracuse's defense and Duke's offense....

Can we get Carey active tonight? He seems to disappear at times. The earlier the better

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    HAH, I asked the very same question in FB about Syracuse's defense and Duke's offense...
    Yeah, I copied it, but I didn't remember who wrote it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013