Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I don't want to pile on, but this statement has me scratching my head. The only things Javin hasn't improved upon from last year to this year are shooting the ball and foul rate? So, that means he's improved on everything else? I'm confused. I wouldn't suggest he's regressed across the board because I simply haven't done the analysis to reach that conclusion, but I can't imagine there are many things he's improved upon this season. He was a solid rotation player last season who provided plus minutes, and this season he's a major liability on both ends.

Of course, last season showed us that he's capable of being a nice piece, so there's hope he can improve from what the team's getting now.
    You are wrong. DiB is right. Here are Javin's stats from last season and this, taking away shooting percentages and foul rate:

PER 40 MINUTES
    Code:
    Year	Pts	rebs	assts	stls	blks
    2019	9.4	10.7	1.1	2.1	3.2
    2020	10.9	13.2	1.5	2.3	1.5
    ADVANCED STATS
    Code:
    Year	OR%	DR%	AST%	STL%	BLK%	TO%	USG%
    2019	11.6	16.3	4.1	2.9	7.9	23.7	10.1
    2020	13.8	22.1	5.8	3.0	3.5	18.2	18.2
    So, his block rate is worse. But every other non-shooting-related, non-fouling-related stat is better. Some are significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You are wrong. DiB is right. Here are Javin's stats from last season and this, taking away shooting percentages and foul rate:

PER 40 MINUTES
    Code:
    Year	Pts	rebs	assts	stls	blks
    2019	9.4	10.7	1.1	2.1	3.2
    2020	10.9	13.2	1.5	2.3	1.5
    ADVANCED STATS
    Code:
    Year	OR%	DR%	AST%	STL%	BLK%	TO%	USG%
    2019	11.6	16.3	4.1	2.9	7.9	23.7	10.1
    2020	13.8	22.1	5.8	3.0	3.5	18.2	18.2
    So, his block rate is worse. But every other non-shooting-related, non-fouling-related stat is better. Some are significantly better.
    If his shooting is worse, are we happy that his USG% is significantly up?

I like Javin. I really do. I think he's an asset to the team in a non-starter setting. But I don't see much of a "Zoubekian" impact coming from him this year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I got lots of obscene views abouth Carolina fans, but the worst offenders have never set foot on the UNC campus. Do we call them "Walmart fans," or is that an insult to the retailer? IMHO (where the H got filched in the Daily Tar Heel office), many UNC fans are decent people.
    I say it's fine to refer to the Walmart fans as such. It's not a denigration of Walmart or the people that shop there, but rather a reference to the fact that the extent of their connections to the school and team are the shirts purchased at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I like Javin. I really do. I think he's an asset to the team in a non-starter setting. But I don't see much of a "Zoubekian" impact coming from him this year.
    At this point in 2009-10, people didn't see a "Zoubekian" impact coming from Zoubek, either.

I have to say, in Z's senior year, I found myself having very similar arguments on his behalf that I'm having for Javin now. People thought the Plumlees should play instead of Z and Lance Thomas. They thought Zoubek had bad hands and couldn't score and fouled too much. He was a senior and they didn't think he had any room to improve. I argued that he played very good positional defense, and that his per minute stats from 2008-09 and early 2009-10 were really good. Especially his offensive rebounding, which was elite. All he had to do, I said, was cut down on fouls and play more minutes.

That said, if Duke had lost to Baylor or Purdue, Brian Zoubek wouldn't be held up as such a shining light around here, either. I'm not saying Javin will bring a championship. But he's a good player who can contribute, as last night's game showed. Can Javin build on the Michigan State game moving forward? Can he stop fouling and play with confidence? Who knows? But it's certainly possible.

here's hoping Jav can capitalize on this performance and gain confidence...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    At this point in 2009-10, people didn't see a "Zoubekian" impact coming from Zoubek, either.

I have to say, in Z's senior year, I found myself having very similar arguments on his behalf that I'm having for Javin now. People thought the Plumlees should play instead of Z and Lance Thomas. They thought Zoubek had bad hands and couldn't score and fouled too much. He was a senior and they didn't think he had any room to improve. I argued that he played very good positional defense, and that his per minute stats from 2008-09 and early 2009-10 were really good. Especially his offensive rebounding, which was elite. All he had to do, I said, was cut down on fouls and play more minutes.

That said, if Duke had lost to Baylor or Purdue, Brian Zoubek wouldn't be held up as such a shining light around here, either. I'm not saying Javin will bring a championship. But he's a good player who can contribute, as last night's game showed. Can Javin build on the Michigan State game moving forward? Can he stop fouling and play with confidence? Who knows? But it's certainly possible.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I really don't think anyone here thought there would be a Zoubekian moment... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    here's hoping Jav can capitalize on this performance and gain confidence...
    My first thought after the MState game. Could this be Jav's Zoubekian moment? I REALLY hope so.