Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 83, Winthrop 70 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Only able to follow the 2nd half of the game on Game Tracker. Noticed Carey was in for only 22 minutes and Tre turned the ball over a lot in the second half. Kudos to 4 Dukies in double figures. I'll be interested in the status of Stanleys left knee. Hoping for the best there.

That Jeffrey guy sure was wrong about winning by 30!

Well, you ACCN viewers, how did they look?

I'm stuck looking at box scores like it's 1987.

Way better than a loss. Glad Baker is getting some burn and making the most of it, but despite his best efforts, he’s a work in progress on defense.

Lucky for him, Duke sorely needs shot makers - especially now that Stanley is hurt.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Let’s hope Cassius is OK.

Joey stepping to the plate is a big development, regardless of what forces him to have to be in that situation in the first place.

I may be less optimistic about Tuesday after this week, but I remain optimistic about this team as a whole.

Next play.

after tuesday, i'll take it.
    1200. DDMF.

A Jones - Stanley - Baker - Hurt - Carey starting lineup is a championship contender in March, imo. Just when I had that vision, Cassius gets injured. What a bummer. Hopefully it's a short-term thing.

Nothing's going to be easy this year.

As long as DUKE is on the chest, we'll get everyone's best shot.

Next play.

PS - positive thoughts for Stanley

They had nowhere to go but up. They did, a little. A weird lineup at the end. The next game could be ugly ... or not.

Hard to take many positives from this week, but Joey Baker and Matt Hurt are two of them. Even if Cassius comes back and all is well, we need both of these guys to be productive offensively.

The rest is rough, and if you'd told me that losing to SFA would be our second-worst loss of the week, well...not great, folks. Here's hoping for the best when we figure out what's what tomorrow.

These past two games I feel like Duke has been turning themselves over, rushing the pace past what they are comfortable with, resulting in turnovers and less than ideal offensive plays. Time and time again, I see Jones get the ball in the backcourt and frantically run forward, trying to push the pace for some reason, which seems to mostly discombobulate the offense, as everybody then gets into the act, hurling ill-conceived, hurried passes off of teammates or out-of-bounds, tossing up hurried shots and so on. I know Duke is a surprisingly "Carolina-like" team this year, but they are not ready to add that piece of the Carolina game to the repertoire yet. Similarly, on defense, people keep going for the exceptional play, over playing for steals, leaving their man for double teams, etc.
    I think the team might be better served by taking a metaphorical deep breathe, realizing who they are right now (not good at super fast basketball) and play a more deliberate pace.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post

As to the team? Long road ahead.

As to ACCN? UGH! The yapperheads are awful.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post

My primary concern is Tre. Amazed average talent has blown past him, almost at will, two consecutive games. Also amazed by his TOs the last two games, at home, against mediocre talent.

The big positives were Hurt and Baker!

Chat had this one a W from the start. Never in doubt.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

K and staff have their work cut out...

In the radio postgame, Coach K says the injury is a hamstring injury, not a knee injury. He says the fact that it's a muscle injury is "really really good" as compared to the alternatives / worst case fears. There's no timetable yet obviously, but Coach K doesn't expect Cassius to play against MSU

Hammys can take awhile, hopefully he will be on the quick side. Bakers threes were big obviously, they all need to be stronger with the ball. We will get better, but it may be ugly at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Chat had this one a W from the start. Never in doubt.
    You noticed that too...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    In the radio postgame, Coach K says the injury is a hamstring injury, not a knee injury. He says the fact that it's a muscle injury is "really really good" as compared to the alternatives / worst case fears. There's no timetable yet obviously, but Coach K doesn't expect Cassius to play against MSU
    Yes- but depending on severity- those can take a while- but mostly rest. Time for AOC to pick up his game as Duke will need an athletic wing. Nothing will be easy for this Duke team. They are just young and raw at this point- but the glimmers of talent are there.