Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: The Irishman

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC

    The Irishman

    Anybody made it through the new 3 & 1/2 hour Martin Scorsese epic on Netflix yet? I saw it last night and holy cow! Yes itís long but I was so drawn in to the story the length didnít bother me in the least. Denero, Pacino and Pesci all give a master class in acting in this film. I wonít get into the story so I donít spoil anything but if you like Scorsese and old school movies that actually tell a story you need to check this out. Beautifully directed, beautifully acted and great storytelling.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Anybody made it through the new 3 & 1/2 hour Martin Scorsese epic on Netflix yet? I saw it last night and holy cow! Yes itís long but I was so drawn in to the story the length didnít bother me in the least. Denero, Pacino and Pesci all give a master class in acting in this film. I wonít get into the story so I donít spoil anything but if you like Scorsese and old school movies that actually tell a story you need to check this out. Beautifully directed, beautifully acted and great storytelling.
    On the weekend list, thanks for starting the thread and especially thanks for not giving spoilers. ďHoly cowĒ is all I need to know!
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Anybody made it through the new 3 & 1/2 hour Martin Scorsese epic on Netflix yet? I saw it last night and holy cow! Yes itís long but I was so drawn in to the story the length didnít bother me in the least. Denero, Pacino and Pesci all give a master class in acting in this film. I wonít get into the story so I donít spoil anything but if you like Scorsese and old school movies that actually tell a story you need to check this out. Beautifully directed, beautifully acted and great storytelling.
    This is what I hear...am going to devote an afternoon to it next week...nothing better than a very good, very long movie.

  4. #4
    I watched the trailer last night, and almost dug into it...but I knew I needed more time and more braincells for this (something about vodka then several glasses of wine with dinner).

    On this recommendation it's on the list!
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #5
    DeNiro, Pesche, Keitel and Pacino...the four horsemen of American gangster movies...and to think where Pesche got his big time start in the Lethal Weapon series...
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    It's a real bummer that I won't be able to watch this either at the theater or even on Blu/Ray DVD (from what I'm seeing online).

    It's all good - I'll go over to my parents' house at some point and watch it on their Netflix. But that is kind of annoying. I'm sure Netflix is cheap enough and reasonably priced. I'm just stubborn and not buying it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It's a real bummer that I won't be able to watch this either at the theater or even on Blu/Ray DVD (from what I'm seeing online).

    It's all good - I'll go over to my parents' house at some point and watch it on their Netflix. But that is kind of annoying. I'm sure Netflix is cheap enough and reasonably priced. I'm just stubborn and not buying it.
    Use your parents account from your house. I do that with my sonís, friendís account. I watched last night, didnít realize it was 210 Minutes long and could not go to bed till I finished it. Wow is right

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Very good show but long.the watermelon lol.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Very good show but long.the watermelon lol.
    Very loooooooooooooooooooooooong. It's like they drug it out unnecessarily. I fell asleep the first night. Finished it a few nights later. That last 15 minutes was painful. A very long denouement.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  10. #10
    Enjoyable with a bit of a weak ending.

    Will we ever know?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    DeNiro, Pesche, Keitel and Pacino...the four horsemen of American gangster movies...and to think where Pesche got his big time start in the Lethal Weapon series...
    I thought Home Alone made Pesci's career.

    Actually, he was pretty darn good in Raging Bull.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It's a real bummer that I won't be able to watch this either at the theater or even on Blu/Ray DVD (from what I'm seeing online).

    It's all good - I'll go over to my parents' house at some point and watch it on their Netflix. But that is kind of annoying. I'm sure Netflix is cheap enough and reasonably priced. I'm just stubborn and not buying it.
    reasonably priced? $9/mo = $108/year = over $1,000 in 10 years. That adds up quickly. Especially if you also get Prime, Hulu, HBO, Disney+ all of a sudden you have spent real money on all of these reasonably priced streaming services.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Very loooooooooooooooooooooooong. It's like they drug it out unnecessarily. I fell asleep the first night. Finished it a few nights later. That last 15 minutes was painful. A very long denouement.
    I'm sure part of the deal between Marty and Netflix involved making a movie as long as he darn well wanted it to be but I agree, it could/should have been about 30-45 minutes shorter.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    reasonably priced? $9/mo = $108/year = over $1,000 in 10 years. That adds up quickly. Especially if you also get Prime, Hulu, HBO, Disney+ all of a sudden you have spent real money on all of these reasonably priced streaming services.
    Sure, but how much is cable TV a month? Serious question, I haven't had cable in over a decade.

    They're all expensive compared to not having anything for ten years.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It's a real bummer that I won't be able to watch this either at the theater or even on Blu/Ray DVD (from what I'm seeing online).

    It's all good - I'll go over to my parents' house at some point and watch it on their Netflix. But that is kind of annoying. I'm sure Netflix is cheap enough and reasonably priced. I'm just stubborn and not buying it.
    Hoe much do you spend per year on pie bets? 😁

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    reasonably priced? $9/mo = $108/year = over $1,000 in 10 years. That adds up quickly. Especially if you also get Prime, Hulu, HBO, Disney+ all of a sudden you have spent real money on all of these reasonably priced streaming services.
    I agree with your death by $10 cuts statement.

    Depending on where you live, $9/month means you break even or come out ahead after watching 1-3 movies or unique content to the platform per month.

    Hulu live is $50/month unlimited device streaming. Before I cancelled cable, the 3 boxes (including 2 DVRs) with no premium content approached $200/month.

    Even with Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ bundles I come out way ahead.

    Just wait until some clever person ďinventsĒ a bundling service for all streaming services. The memes about inventing cable subscriptions will be delicious.

  17. #17

    Really liked The Irishman but

    I know several who did not. Too long and kind of boring.

    I grew up in the Philadelphia area. Know someone who thought he might add liquor to his restaurant menu. Only problem was that to get a license from the state would take many many years. So he and a partner went to South Philly and met with Angelo Bruno at an Italian restaurant. For money he could a license quickly. He did not think some of his other owners would understand so he passed.

    SoCal

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'm sure part of the deal between Marty and Netflix involved making a movie as long as he darn well wanted it to be but I agree, it could/should have been about 30-45 minutes shorter.
    Talked with a few friends over the weekend who saw it and all were praising it. On the surface yes 3 1/2 hours is long for a movie but Iím not sure what you cut here? To me it was great and I would argue it was the right call. The slow burn allowed for the payoff in the end and you got to really see Frankís gut wrenching acknowledgement of what he knew he would have to do being slowly brought to light.

    Iíll add this hot take - Whenever Pesci and DeNero were on the screen together it was magic!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I thought it was terrific, saw it last night. We saw it at the home of some friends, and since they have Netflix, it was nice that we could take several breaks during the 3.5 hours, replenish food, open more beers, etc...made it very enjoyable.
    If you like Scorcese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci et al, you won't want to miss it...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Talked with a few friends over the weekend who saw it and all were praising it. On the surface yes 3 1/2 hours is long for a movie but Iím not sure what you cut here? To me it was great and I would argue it was the right call. The slow burn allowed for the payoff in the end and you got to really see Frankís gut wrenching acknowledgement of what he knew he would have to do being slowly brought to light.

    Iíll add this hot take - Whenever Pesci and DeNero were on the screen together it was magic!
    I definitely enjoyed it just wasn't sure (or didn't gather) what spending so much time on certain things accomplished. For example, I thought the final 30-ish minutes of late stage Frank could have easily been cut in half w/o compromising what I took to be the point piece of the story. Somewhat in contradiction to my opinion on the length, I didn't get to know some of the ancillary characters as much as I would have liked --- Hoffa and Frank's wives, Skinny Razor, Fat Tony.

    Pesci commanded every scene he was in...he was the star of the show for me, just mesmerizing! This was Pacino's best work in a while but even in this it felt like he was playing an exaggerated caricature of himself at times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •