Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sweet Potato Pie or Pumpkin Pie

While other less important matters are endlessly debated in Congress and Corp board rooms around the country, the most important debate of all time is upon us again as we hit Thanksgiving:

Sweet Potato pie or Pumpkin pie?

Gotta go with Sweet Potato myself.

Pumpkin pie. Sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar/pecan crust on top, none of that disgusting marshmallow nonsense).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pumpkin pie. Sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar/pecan crust on top, none of that disgusting marshmallow nonsense).
    I love me some sweet potato casserole as well, just the way you describe it. Yummy

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever had sweet potato pie. I suspect it would be pretty tasty. But if I'm going to have some of both (and I hope I am) I think I would rather the pie be pumpkin and the casserole be sweet potato than the other way around. I'm sure someone somewhere has made a mean pumpkin casserole but it doesn't sound right to me.

The correct answer is “Apple.”

What happened to pecan?

Both. Plus a chocolate pecan pie.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Sweet potato..Not even close.

Chocolate-bourbon pecan pie.
    Linky

If limited to either sweet potato or pumpkin I'll go with sweet potato.

Both. They are great. Sweet Potato casserole is great too (with or without the delicious marshmallows).

Apple, no thanks.
    Pecan, no thanks.

I don't really like Apple or Pecan personally but 100% understand those who love it.
    I'm all about some chocolate pie too.

I haven't eaten desert in 6+ weeks, I intend for Pumpkin Pie on Thanksgiving to be the thing that breaks that streak.

I love a lot of different pies, but for this time of year it's Sweet Potato (over Pumpkin by a large margin) and Chocolate Pecan pie. BTW, Cracker Barrel has an incredible Chocolate Pecan pie. And if you can't make your own, I recommend Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato pie. Hard to beat either of those if we are talking store bought.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I love a lot of different pies, but for this time of year it's Sweet Potato (over Pumpkin by a large margin) and Chocolate Pecan pie. BTW, Cracker Barrel has an incredible Chocolate Pecan pie. And if you can't make your own, I recommend Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato pie. Hard to beat either of those if we are talking store bought.
    In the South, pumpkins are for Jack'O Lanterns..Oh, and hog fare..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    In the South, pumpkins are for Jack'O Lanterns..Oh, and hog fare..
    Absolutely correct.pumpkins shall not be cooked in this household.

Yes.

How about this with a slice of pumpkin pie?

https://untappd.com/b/ardent-craft-a...-saison/830383

Or, we could have a pint of this with some sweet potato pie:

https://hardywood.com/beer/farmhouse-pumpkin/

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Will anyone under the age of 70 serve Green Bean Casserole with the Durkee onion rings sitting on top?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    BTW - How do you pronounce pecan?

I say PEE-cahn, but I do like the pah-CAHN pronunciation as well.

pee-can is cute, but seems yankee-ish and I am not sure which syllable is stressed.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Will anyone under the age of 70 serve Green Bean Casserole with the Durkee onion rings sitting on top?
    55 and yes, of course. What kind of heathens don't serve this?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't think there's been anyone over 70 at my Thanksgiving get togethers in something like 6-7 years and we still have it.

Although, the proper Thanksgiving green vegetable is actual greens. Green bean casserole is just a supplement, or at best a poor replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think there's been anyone over 70 at my Thanksgiving get togethers in something like 6-7 years and we still have it.

Although, the proper Thanksgiving green vegetable is actual greens. Green bean casserole is just a supplement, or at best a poor replacement.
    the key to the question, of course, is the can of onion rings...green bean casserole sans the Durkees rings doesn't count...