Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke vs. Stephen F. Austin, 11/26 9pm ET, ACC RSNs

As some of you know, I hate starting game threads, but due to the broadcasting situation, figured that we should start it now.

The ACC does not have an official list of channel carrying the game, but that should resolved Monday. You can check listings for your local RSN though.

I have been checking games on this package for this season and ESPN has been inconsistent about including them on ESPN College Extra. This only affects a handful of providers and viewers who do not have the game on their local RSN so most of you will be fine watching however you have watched these games in the past. If you are like me and do not have the game on a local RSN, but have liked watching the games on the DirecTV 788-795 or Verizon FIOS 821-828 or on Spectrum in certain markets instead of online, be prepared for this not to be an option on Tuesday. My checking of other games from this season has not showed any cases of a DirecTV employee being nice and leaving a channel unblocked that they are not supposed to like they did back in the day, allowing us to watch games for free that we were supposed to pay for separately, but that could still happen I suppose. All viewers should operate under the expectation that they will be only able to watch on television if their local RSN is carrying the game and will have to watch online, either via ESPN for those not living within the conference footprint with those inside those markets only being to watch on the online service provided by their local RSN.

For many folks (like me), the game will be on Fox Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    For many folks (like me), the game will be on Fox Sports.
    yeah, but I have to remember to be tuned in at the beginning of the game (I always record on DVR) to make sure the indecipherable blackout rules don't intervene...I too will try to watch on Fox Sports South, but at times this is blacked out because NESN (somewhat in my area) may be carrying the game...this time they are not...

I hate RSNs. Thought ESPN+ and the ACCN would have solved this issue, but clearly it didn’t.

Doing some searching and it doesn't look like those of us on Youtube TV are going to be watching.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

It appears to be on the YES network in CT.
    Looking forward to seeing more Joey, Alex, Javin

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Doing some searching and it doesn't look like those of us on Youtube TV are going to be watching.
    Really? I'm going to PM you a link. See if it works.

After a foul fest at the Garden, Duke returns home to take on a couple of cupcakes before heading on a high stakes road trip. First up is Stephen F. Austin. The adjusted offensive efficiency (KenPom) is 93.4 points per 100 possessions, good for 280th in the nation out of 353. The main culprit of this offensive ineptitude is turnovers, where the Lumberjacks are coughing the ball up on nearly a quarter of possessions. The primary point guards, SR John Comeaux (5'11") and JR David Kachelries (6'1") each sport a nearly 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. And this has not been against a stellar slate of teams, either. SFA is coming off its first loss of the season, to Rutgers. They have one of the worst non-conference slate of games so far this year. Ball security is going to be an issue against one of the best defenses in the country.

On the flipside. SFA is forcing more turnovers than anyone else in the country. The Lumberjacks currently lead the nation in defensive TO%. Like Duke, they like to get up and down the court and are also a pretty good rebounding team, although a little better on the defensive glass than the offensive boards. The frenetic style of play has contributed to lots of fouls. The team is sending opponents to the line an absurd 60% of possessions. It's like a team of Javin DeLauriers. They have a deep rotation of 11 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game with 8 of the regulars committing at 5 or more fouls per 40 minutes. For comparison purposes, just Vernon Carey, Jr. (5.0) and Javin DeLaurier (10.0) are above the same threshold for Duke. So expect an ugly game with lots of pressing and open fast break opportunities.

Starters include Comeaux at the point, FR G Roti Ware (6'3"), and SR G/F Kevon Harris (6'6") in the backcourt with SR F Nathan Bain (6'6", 196 lbs) and JR Gavin Kesmil (6'7", 230 lbs) as the nominal center position. Duke will have a serious height advantage in this one, in particular down low. If SFA has trouble guarding Big Vern, we should expect to see a dose of freshmen forwards Sama'zha Hart (6'7") and Charlie Daniels (6'9").

In the backcourt, Kevon Harris is the primary scorer, averaging 19.4 pts, 5.8 rbs, 1.2 ast, and 1.4 stl per game. He is the most frequent shooter, averaging 12.8 field goal attempts per game. Next most is Gavin Kensmil with 7.6. Harris is also a gunner, taking 5 3-point attempts per game. He is hitting them at a good clip, 40%, and also hits his free throws (83.3% on 6 attempts per game). Beyond Harris, SFA does not take many 3-point attempts and are 302nd in the nation on 3P rate. The stats show a team that relies heavily on creating havoc and pressuring opponents. They get a lot of turnovers but allow very high shooting rates. If you can beat their press, you'll find an easy basket waiting. Wendell Moore and Cassius Stanley are going to have to value the basketball in this one. I expect this one to look pretty unpleasant to the eyes but Duke should be able to handle the press and come away with a comfortable margin of victory.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    I hate RSNs. Thought ESPN+ and the ACCN would have solved this issue, but clearly it didn’t.
    Does anyone know, is it an outstanding contract that hasn't run its course? Or is ACCN too cheap to pick up these games?

Either way, ACCN never getting a dime of my money, and I hope adoption is low enough that this spells the beginning of the end of these "really ESPN but not ESPN" "networks" that exist for everything now.
    April 1

Lumberjacks

Have the Blue Devils ever played the Lumberjacks before?

Time for a musical interlude:

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Have the Blue Devils ever played the Lumberjacks before?

Time for a musical interlude:
    i will be disappointed if this is not sung...though i assume it wouldn't be the first time they'd heard it.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Really? I'm going to PM you a link. See if it works.
    My DirecTV guide shows Duke-SFA following Notre Dame-Fairleigh Dickinson on YES, various Fox Sports regionals (OH, FL, SW) and ATRM (Rocky Mtn.). I'll be on my remote control at game time to find a live link.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Does anyone know, is it an outstanding contract that hasn't run its course? Or is ACCN too cheap to pick up these games?

Either way, ACCN never getting a dime of my money, and I hope adoption is low enough that this spells the beginning of the end of these "really ESPN but not ESPN" "networks" that exist for everything now.
    There is a contract issue for a few more years. Syndication may not go away then since it may still be profitable for the ACC. Syndication is certainly preferable to ACCNX.

ACCN is essential to the future athletic competitiveness of Duke and every other ACC school. The money involved is real and significant. ACCN is succeeding. It's not going away. If you want to see all of Duke's basketball games, you're going to have to find a way to get ACCN. If seeing all of Duke's games doesn't matter enough to you, then don't. ACCN is available nationwide. If you have Comcast, you need to switch to some other provider, such as YouTube. If you do, you're almost certain to save money. If you have some carrier other than Comcast and you're not already getting ACCN, you need to talk with your carrier. It's possible that you'll have to pay more money. In my case, I had to contact Spectrum to switch to a non-legacy package. It was a bit of a hassle but I'm paying less now than I was and I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My DirecTV guide shows Duke-SFA following Notre Dame-Fairleigh Dickinson on YES, various Fox Sports regionals (OH, FL, SW) and ATRM (Rocky Mtn.). I'll be on my remote control at game time to find a live link.
    Oh, and it's even more problematic. The Notre Dame game starts at 7, and if it runs long, there is no "ESPN News" as a diversion channel for this broadcast. Perhaps ND can stay out of overtime for a change.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    There is a contract issue for a few more years. Syndication may not go away then since it may still be profitable for the ACC. Syndication is certainly preferable to ACCNX.

ACCN is essential to the future athletic competitiveness of Duke and every other ACC school. The money involved is real and significant. ACCN is succeeding. It's not going away. If you want to see all of Duke's basketball games, you're going to have to find a way to get ACCN. If seeing all of Duke's games doesn't matter enough to you, then don't. ACCN is available nationwide. If you have Comcast, you need to switch to some other provider, such as YouTube. If you do, you're almost certain to save money. If you have some carrier other than Comcast and you're not already getting ACCN, you need to talk with your carrier. It's possible that you'll have to pay more money. In my case, I had to contact Spectrum to switch to a non-legacy package. It was a bit of a hassle but I'm paying less now than I was and I'm not alone.
    the bar is a lot cheaper. save 40$. buy beer.

I know that's not an option for everyone. I would like to see their subscriber count and viewership, though. There's a reason ESPN took so long to roll this out...because if it made sense for ESPN, they would have done it far sooner. Bottom line is the ACC negotiating an option for a network was a brilliant move on their part, and right now ESPN is holding the hot potato. It will be interesting to see if the next contract is so favorable.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    On the flipside. SFA is forcing more turnovers than anyone else in the country. The Lumberjacks currently lead the nation in defensive TO%. Like Duke, they like to get up and down the court and are also a pretty good rebounding team, although a little better on the defensive glass than the offensive boards. The frenetic style of play has contributed to lots of fouls. The team is sending opponents to the line an absurd 60% of possessions. It's like a team of Javin DeLauriers. They have a deep rotation of 11 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game with 8 of the regulars committing at 5 or more fouls per 40 minutes. For comparison purposes, just Vernon Carey, Jr. (5.0) and Javin DeLaurier (10.0) are above the same threshold for Duke. So expect an ugly game with lots of pressing and open fast break opportunities.
    This sounds like a good next test for the "Wendell Moore, not Jordan Goldwire, is K's choice for secondary ball handler" theory.

There is a lot of chatter in the Georgetown post-game thread about Matthew Hurt and where he stands right now. Going into the 2K Classic, Wendell Moore seemed like an early lost soul yet K started him and it paid off. My guess is that K knew this team needed Wendell to be a high level contributor to reach its potential and was going to push that agenda until it happened. The good news is that it has started to happen. I am thinking that he'll do the same thing with Hurt. Based on recent performance, Jack deserves the start over Hurt but I wonder if K will opt to start Hurt in order to try and keep his confidence up to encourage better production?

While anything can happen, this game looks as if we'll be in control by halftime. Once garbage time starts, I don't think we'll learn much so, aside from what I noted above, I am interested to see how well AOC and Baker compete for the eventual role of second wing off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the bar is a lot cheaper. save 40$. buy beer.

I know that's not an option for everyone. I would like to see their subscriber count and viewership, though. There's a reason ESPN took so long to roll this out...because if it made sense for ESPN, they would have done it far sooner. Bottom line is the ACC negotiating an option for a network was a brilliant move on their part, and right now ESPN is holding the hot potato. It will be interesting to see if the next contract is so favorable.
    Even without Comcast, ACCN is in over 40 million households.

By contrast, SECN and BTN are in about 55 million homes. ACCN will be up to that number if not beyond when Comcast comes on board although that may not happen for two years. Comcast's contract with all of Disney comes up for renewal in about two years. At that point, Disney has all the leverage it needs to get ACCN on Comcast.

BTW, it is not out of the question that ESPN will put one of the Duke-UNC games exclusively on ACCN to put additional pressure on Comcast as well as on individuals who are refusing to do what's necessary to get ACCN.

You also asked about viewership. Ratings numbers have never been released for SECN or ACCN. BTN just started releasing ratings this academic year.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Even without Comcast, ACCN is in over 40 million households.

By contrast, SECN and BTN are in about 55 million homes. ACCN will be up to that number if not beyond when Comcast comes on board although that may not happen for two years. Comcast's contract with all of Disney comes up for renewal in about two years. At that point, Disney has all the leverage it needs to get ACCN on Comcast.

BTW, it is not out of the question that ESPN will put one of the Duke-UNC games exclusively on ACCN to put additional pressure on Comcast as well as on individuals who are refusing to do what's necessary to get ACCN.

You also asked about viewership. Ratings numbers have never been released for SECN or ACCN. BTN just started releasing ratings this academic year.
    you might be right about a Duke-unc game, but I think that would be cutting off their nose to spite their face...given viewership and hype surrounding those games, I'll be stunned if they relegate one of them to the ACCN.
    Mother ESPN has enough troubles of her own right now (e.g. abundant cord cutting) without coughing up a crown jewel...

Credit DavidBenAkiva (whose post was too long to quote):

The frenetic style of play has contributed to lots of fouls. The team is sending opponents to the line an absurd 60% of possessions. It's like a team of Javin DeLauriers.

So how would a team of DeLauriers fare against a team of Ditkas? Mini Ditkas?
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ditkas can't foul out, can they?