Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 81, Georgetown 73 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Gutty win. I liked it. We did what we needed to. Moore was fantastic.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Fun game to watch the young guys (especially Moore) grow, I guess, but that 2 hour 18 minute monstrosity had:

51 combined fouls
    43 combined turnovers.

I was actually begging for stall ball with nine minutes to go in the second half, that's how much this game was making my eyes bleed.

Good win, nonetheless. No doubt plenty of future practice time will be devoted to attacking the press and cleaning up defensive mistakes.

I revoke every nice thing I said about Dakich after the game last night.

Moore was awesome. Yurtseven the best player on the court. I don't think he missed but one shot in second half.

Yikes, this was an ugly game to watch. One of the most frustrating wins I've watched in awhile.

I'm glad we were able to pull out the win, but we have a looooooot of room for improvement. I think Georgetown is really good. We were fortunate.

Moore was good, but he's still a turnover machine. 7 turnovers in this one. Gotta do better than that.

This is a really fun team to watch.
    The defense in incredible, especially for early in the season.
    K had a ton of options. I suspect that this year he will really show his coaching prowess in picking the right combination on a given night at a given moment. Last year was, heck, let 'em play, who needs to coach.
    These kids are so young and are playing with tremendous poise.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Not pretty. But good teams win when it’s not pretty. We did that today.

Don’t overlook that, just like against Kansas, Tre made clutch FTs in the final minute again.

Wendell took a HUGE step today. Man we can be deep.

Jack White makes winning plays that don’t show up in the box score, and that’s alright. I’m trying to find the final plus/minus, but I have to think he was at least +10 despite only having a handful of points. What a glue guy and what a luxury for a young team to have him when we need him.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Fun game to watch the young guys (especially Moore) grow, I guess, but that 2 hour 28 minute monstrosity had:

51 combined fouls
    43 combined turnovers.

I was actually begging for stall ball with nine minutes to go in the second half, that's how much this game was making my eyes bleed.

Good win, nonetheless. No doubt plenty of future practice time will be devoted to attacking the press and cleaning up defensive mistakes.
    Especially happy to see the continued emergence of Moore and Stanley and Carey. Hurt is going to have a great break out game soon I feel. Tre was way off his game to say it kindly. They forced us into way too many turnovers. But the kids are very tough and resilient.

Great win. We definitely have a tough team this year. Some quick thoughts:

-We struggled with the press more than I expected. It seemed we figured it out the last few possessions, though, and Moore was able to get some good runs at the basket from quite a distance.

-Hurt has really disappeared. He hasn't been effective due to the physicality of the college game right now. He has too much skill to sit on the bench all season, but we need to figure out where he is most effective on offense.

-Wendell Moore has grown so much in just a few games. He has been playing great. We really need his secondary ball-handling on the floor and his ability to create offense. Cassius has been great getting some buckets off cuts, putbacks, and spot-up threes, but he seems to lose the ball in traffic when he drives, so Moore's ability to get in the lane and create is really important right now.

-O'Connell has regressed, unfortunately. He came out firing, but he had a couple jumpers that just weren't close tonight and doesn't seem as effective defensively as he did against Kansas.

-Javin is good at fouling I guess...

-Carey is a stud. His stroke from the line looked so good yesterday. He missed a lot tonight there, but he is just a load inside and has played solid defense.

-The refs made this game a real chore to watch. What an ugly game with so many whistles.

I'll take the win. Stephen F. Austin usually has a good team, so I am looking forward to the next one. Michigan State should be a great test. Looking for us to start a little better. We have really struggled to score at the start of games until we get in a bit of a groove. It's early, so we may just need to find the right chemistry.

-

Hurt needs about 15-20 lbs of weight. I'll gladly give some of mine to him.

Hurt didn’t see the court in the second half did he?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Tre was way off his game to say it kindly.
    First half yes, 2nd half not so much.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Beat me to it.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Free sporks for anyone who can get me a box score with +/-. Thought it was supposed to be on the official ones but doesn’t look like it. Would love to see what Jack’s was tonight.

Team grew up tonight. Came back after a horrible start and the young guys made plays. Really liked what Stanley did tonight. He is so active and a capable shooter when open. Moore’s best game by a mile. Carey again had an excellent night. And a shout out to Baker for making a couple very needed buckets when nothing was falling. K really tightened his lineup but he needed his best athletes out there. Team is getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Dakich reminds me of this guy who used to be a "greeter" at my church. He'd post up by the entrance, slap on a big cheese grin, and force every person to shake his hand, while saying something just obnoxious enough to make you roll your eyes. He'd always make sure to use a bone-crusher handshake for every male, while never calling attention to it, but hoping you would say, "Ow." so he could say, "You can't shake a man's hand, son? Hahaha They don't make 'em like they used to. Good to see you!"

I’m exhausted.

Really looked like the Ewing strategy was to be as physical as possible with Duke and hope they were too soft to handle it.

At the start of the game, it looked like the right strategy. Duke was getting pushed around and couldn't get any offensive flow. Hurt and AOC especially couldn't handle the physicality and sat pretty much the entire second half.

So K went with his bulldogs - White, Jones, Moore, Carey, Stanley, Delaurier were about all you saw play in the 2nd half. I think Baker got some spot minutes, too.

They all toughed it out with some physical play of their own and managed to hold on against the Hoya press at the end, though I was getting nervous with the combination of physical play and some sloppy passing.

Another gritty win, but the defense wasn't as good as it had been in previous games. Part of that was Georgetown's athleticism and part of it was Yurtseven going off.

Just happy they pulled out the win after that awful start.

Was trying to understand how we were in the game after playing so poorly in the first half. Then they showed a stat that we led in offensive rebounds 10-1.

Not insignificant.