Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke 87, Cal 52 Post Game thread

The defense is a wonder. The offense is coming. Nice to see some guys hit 3s.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The defense is a wonder. The offense is coming. Nice to see some guys hit 3s.

-jk
    beat down. carey is so quiet...i was shocked when they said he had 19 already. Love it. Much cleaner than last week. Don't necessarily think cal is particularly legit, though. Lets get out with a W tomorrow.
    1200. DDMF.

Vernon Carey = 2nd coming of Marvin Bagley!?

Vernon Carey back to pre-injury form.

The only question I have about this team is, which one of the bombers is going to step-up on a consistent basis? Will it be Hurt, Alex, or Joey?

Really satisfying win. Started with the defense, which kept us in it through that slow start where we couldn’t hit anything. The shots finally started falling but the defense stayed constant. We didn’t get a ton of steals but totally disrupted Cal’s offense and made them take tough shots all night. Carey was the man but Moore has a really solid game too. Jones and Stanley did what we’ve come to expect. Hurt was having a pretty rough game but did get some buckets in garbage time.

This may be a weird comment but I think the body language of this team is really methodical. There’s not a lot of hooting and flexing after a big play, nor is there whining after a bad call. Guys just move on to the next play, which really reflects the blue collar attitude of the team.

Whew, Vernon Carey. That was really something. His touch (from all over the court, too) is just incredibly soft for a guy that strong. All those numbers in only 23 min (and a +31)? Yeesh. Fantastic defensively tonight, too. Moving well, and getting his hands up quickly to alter shots. Great to see the big guy seeing just how good he can be.

Strong all-around nights from Tre and Moore, as well, in particular. And really cool to see RJ, Bagley, and Giles there taking in the action (and getting super into AOC's dunk). On to Georgetown, who looked really tough earlier. Looking forward to that game.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Vernon Carey = 2nd coming of Marvin Bagley!?
    Or maybe a mixture of Bagley and Wendell Carter? Better defender than Bagley; more explosive than Carter. Carey is quick and strong; jumps well and his second jump is quick (Bagley's second or third jumps were other-worldly quick).

Carey plays hard but maintains an even temperament; we can see his game growing and his confidence growing. Good stuff.

**per Scott Van Pelt, Carey is the first player under Coach K to get at least 30 points and 10 rebounds in less than 30 minutes playing time. 31 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 22 minutes.
    Last edited by roywhite; 11-22-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: interesting stat

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

This may be a weird comment but I think the body language of this team is really methodical. There’s not a lot of hooting and flexing after a big play, nor is there whining after a bad call. Guys just move on to the next play, which really reflects the blue collar attitude of the team.
    Well said, it's a no-frills, no-nonsense kind of team (I mean, they aren't robotic either, they'll show emotion from time to time) that doesn't have the glitz and glamour but just goes out there and gets work done. Even though Cal isn't very good I still feel like some of the recent Duke teams would have let them hang around that 18-23 point range all 2nd half. This team kept playing solid basketball even when up big which shows some maturity.

Vernon's shooting form looks really natural and the arc he gets on the shot is nice to watch. Certainly one of the best shooting bigs we've had this decade along with Carter Jr.
    Last edited by mo.st.dukie; 11-22-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Don't get me wrong, Cal is not a good team, but a really strong performance on both sides of the ball.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 65.7 (glacial for this Duke team, but Cal is a very slow-paced team)
    oRtg: 1.32 (considering we had 6 points at the first commercial timeout, this is pretty impressive)
    eFG%: 49.2% (not great)
    3pt%: 37.0% (very good, for this Duke team)
    2pt%: 44.7% (not so good)
    %threes: 41.5% (super-high, but we hit the shots, so...)
    FT rate: 47.7% (very strong; best game getting to the line for the second straight game)
    OR%: 53.5% (whoa; after three pathetic OR games to start the season, we're over 50% for the second straight game)
    TO%: 13.7% (good)
    a/to: 1.78:1 (fine)
    %assisted: 59.3% (also fine)
    fast break pts: 5 (5.7% of points; not good, but we didn't get a lot of steals and Cal plays a very deliberate game)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.79 (fifth straight game (out of 5) at 0.85 or lower)
    eFG%: 40.4% (nice)
    3pt%: 40.0% (not good; third game out of five with opponents shooting 40% or better from three)
    2pt%: 35.7% (very good; only team to shoot better than 42% on twos against us has been Kansas)
    %threes: 19.2% (fab; in three games our opponents have taken 20% or fewer of their shots from three, and in a fourth game less than 30%; that's pretty extraordinary)
    FT rate: 26.9% (pretty good, especially considering how bad we were at this in our first three games)
    DR%: 77.1% (another extraordinary thing: in four of our five games we've gathered 77% or more of available defensive rebounds; for a Duke team under Coach K, that's amazing)
    TO%: 22.8% (our worst TO% of the season for the second straight game, but still pretty good)
    a/to: 0.6:1 (our opponents have been under 0.72:1 in all five games this season)
    %assisted: 47.3% (okay)
    stl%: 7.6% (meh; lowest of the season for the second straight game)
    blk%: 11.5% (14.3% of 2pt shots) (good)
    fast break pts: 7 (13.5% of points; best of the season so far but, again, Cal is a very slow team)

If we want to be churlish, there are a few minor things to complain about, but in general a very strong performance on both sides of the ball against a bottom-barrel high-major team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Or maybe a mixture of Bagley and Wendell Carter?
    I think he's what Wendell Carter would have been if Bagley hadn't decided to come to Duke at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think he's what Wendell Carter would have been if Bagley hadn't decided to come to Duke at the last minute.
    Oooh now that's an interesting thought. After tonight, I can't say I disagree.

I hope these performances become something we should expect of Vernon vs. ACC competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think Carter had a more physically assertive post game than Vernon but both have great patience and feel when backing down their defender. If Vernon continues this level of play, we will see how he deals with constant double teams. I assume that K will increase the rate at which we operate our half court offense from the inside out, so consistent outside shooting will become a more essential need. This will likely translate into more PT for White, Baker, and AOC and less PT for Javin and Goldwire. It's only one game but it appeared that Vernon found his chi( borrowing from an old battier quote after he bombarded the terps with 3's as a sophomore). He played with tremendous confidence and I see no reason why he can't continue to build on this great performance.

A very impressive performance after a slow start on O. Of course, Carey was amazing. Most impressive was his rebounding- he was going after the ball on D an O. I really like what Stanley brings to the team- he plays D attentively and is crafty on O and has a good enough shot to keep his defender guessing. Tre’s shot is getting more confident and that is a very good sign. Kudos to Jack White. He is a clean cut Rodman - understands the physics of positioning. Moore and Hurt are figuring it out- one is strong but cannot shoot- one can shoot but is not strong but both have very high ceilings. Duke is playing D very well - and everyone is engaged as K is playing a lot of guys. The team has work to do but they are showing a lot.

Nice game last night. Team is coming along nicely. They may back pedal a bit from time to time, but the improvement is obvious.

Vernon is my 3rd-favorite Duke big of the past 25 years behind only Zion and Elton, and he's been a very pleasant surprise to me so far this season. (I'm going to for now stop short of just straight up declaring that he's the 3rd-best Duke big of the past 25 years, but I'm getting closer -- let's see how he performs against Georgetown's monsters inside).

What I love about Vernon in no particular order -- Vernon is a much better defender than high school stats / scouting reports / measurements suggested. Despite not being long, he reacts quickly enough to get his hands on balls (blocks, steals). Vernon is a much better rebounder than high school stats suggested, and in general, I love his great, soft hands and how secure the ball appears to be when his mitts are on it. I of course love his soft touch around the rim and how he carves out space using his body. I love that he has faceup-and-drive game (which was apparently how he played in high school until Coach Nate James taught him how to play back-to-basket). I love that Duke has seemingly done a wonderful job developing him. I love that he has worked so hard on his body and can now beat everyone down the floor in transition to catch a halfcourt alley-oop pass from Tre for a dunk (like he did against Ga St). I love that he is not a black hole when we feed him the ball inside; his head stays up looking for double-teams and passing lanes to open teammates, and he seems to have passing chops. There just aren't many weaknesses here.

Some general thoughts:

1. We struggled on offense against the zone at first and we are likely to see a lot of that going forward.
    2. Carey is a beast and too much for Cal. He is establishing himself as a lottery pick.
    3. The defense played hard and limited Cal who tended to hit a few threes when we subbed out oour top defenders.
    4. When the game got out of hand coach K rested his key starters to be ready for tonight, otherwise Carey would have had 40.

Offense:

With our defe3nse being a strong point, the main interest was who would step up on offense. Carey and Jones had already established their cred and clearly two we can rely on. Moore started over other possibles so he must have shown enough in practice to gain that distinction. Stanley had shown flashes on offense and continued in that respect, especially getting to the line and hitting his foul shots but also hitting a couple of shots.

As the game wore on, we got some indication that Baker can hit the three, Alex also hit a shot and had an impressive dunk while Hurt took a long while to get started but also hit a couplle of shots. Moore is a rugged kid who is likkely to improve and add more offense as he gains experience.

We won't have the athletic advantage tonight so our defense needs to continue to play at a high level while our offensive contributors have to show up consistently. Looking forward to the game.

Side Note: given the back-to-back games, it’s nice that no one logged heavy minutes against Cal.

I asked the question after seeing him the first time at CTC and I’ll ask it again now. Is Vernon Elton Brand with a jump shot? He’s not quite as long or bouncy as Wendell Carter. But he’s stronger with better inside footwork and maybe softer hands. Reminds me most of Elton Brand. And agreed. He’s a much better defender and rebounder than advertised.

Moore’s best game. Great to see him coming on.

Someone made the point that this team won by 35 while other Duke teams would have let off and won by 18-20. That’s the grinding full court pressure and our depth. Matthew Hurt is in at garbage time with fresh legs doing his thing.

I really love this team and where it has a chance to go. Glad we had the Zion and RJ show but don’t miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I asked the question after seeing him the first time at CTC and I’ll ask it again now. Is Vernon Elton Brand with a jump shot? He’s not quite as long or bouncy as Wendell Carter. But he’s stronger with better inside footwork and maybe softer hands. Reminds me most of Elton Brand. And agreed. He’s a much better defender and rebounder than advertised.

Moore’s best game. Great to see him coming on.

Someone made the point that this team won by 35 while other Duke teams would have let off and won by 18-20. That’s the grinding full court pressure and our depth. Matthew Hurt is in at garbage time with fresh legs doing his thing.

I really love this team and where it has a chance to go. Glad we had the Zion and RJ show but don’t miss it.
    Im way behind on basketball(football playoffs ironically we are playing a former duke assistant tonight) .i like the play by this team.they dont cruise.
    As you have stated.