Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming Rights?

Naming Rights?

Alright DBR! In my quest to commemorate each of the 5 Duke National titles, I am coming up short on the name for the painting depicting the 2001 team that I just finished. The name for the 2015 painting is 'DYNA5TY' and the name for the 2010 painting is 'Order Has Been Restored'.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2001 Duke Championship painting (72dpi).jpg

THR3EPEAT?

Third Time's the Charm?

I think you can strengthen 2010's title even further by calling it Order Restored. You don't need the auxiliary verbs, just the noun and the participle.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    THR3EPEAT?

Third Time's the Charm?
    TRIumph?

I don't know about a name, but I *definitely* want some of whatever Dunleavy is smoking... ;-)

Seriously though, you are a talented individual sir! Well done.

'91: It Begins
    '92: Back to Back

The name "L3GACY" comes to mind. This was the third title and cemented Coach K's place and greatness among his peers. The team also left a lasting image for Duke, one that endures to this day. It was a star-studded team that also was reliant on grit and determination. The team did not coast on talent. They are the bar by which subsequent teams have been measured. Maybe I feel that way since I was a freshman on campus, but it really does feel like the 2000-01 squad was the bridge between the 80's-90's teams and those that would follow where leaving earlier and earlier for the NBA became more then norm.

Proud Father of Three.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It's Over

Who's your daddy?

Fun Stuff. I checked a couple of the newspapers from around the time of the title and saw, "Championship Dance", "True Blue", and - from The Chronicle - "Won and Dun".

Nice work, by the way. Thanks for sharing with the board!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Fun Stuff. I checked a couple of the newspapers from around the time of the title and saw, "Championship Dance", "True Blue", and - from The Chronicle - "Won and Dun".

Nice work, by the way. Thanks for sharing with the board!
    Here’s all five. Sorry for the terrible pic.
    E8BC8833-2D65-4B13-AAD4-1968D3710A08.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Who's your daddy?
    He already has a "Who's Your Daddy, Battier" painting, so probably need to go with something else, not that I'm having any luck thinking of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Here’s all five. Sorry for the terrible pic.
    E8BC8833-2D65-4B13-AAD4-1968D3710A08.jpg
    Oh, nice. Are those all original Chronicles? Or, just cover prints?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, nice. Are those all original Chronicles? Or, just cover prints?
    2001,2010 and 2015 are originals. I printed the pdf version of 91 & 92.

I told the chronicle staff that they could make a lot of money selling the covers of these five. They must not have agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think you can strengthen 2010's title even further by calling it Order Restored. You don't need the auxiliary verbs, just the noun and the participle.
    “Alarmingly Champs”

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    “Alarmingly Champs”
    This is a wonderful post. I'm still laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    '91: It Begins
    '92: Back to Back

So 2001...

New Decade
    It Wasn't a Fluke
    We're still Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The name "L3GACY" comes to mind. This was the third title and cemented Coach K's place and greatness among his peers. The team also left a lasting image for Duke, one that endures to this day. It was a star-studded team that also was reliant on grit and determination. The team did not coast on talent. They are the bar by which subsequent teams have been measured. Maybe I feel that way since I was a freshman on campus, but it really does feel like the 2000-01 squad was the bridge between the 80's-90's teams and those that would follow where leaving earlier and earlier for the NBA became more then norm.
    ...and to add to your excellent post...this was a crucial title for K and Duke to really be on top of the mountain...again...and proof that the 91-92 was not an outlier. It was great to win one in another decade. It really moved K into a new realm, and he took Duke with him.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I like DBA's "L3GACY" suggestion for 2001, and I agree with throatybeard about the shortening on 2010's, though it occurred to me that there could be a uniting element through the series if we found a way to incorporate a numeral in all 5... "DYNA5TY", "ORDER RES4ORED", "L3GACY", "BUILT 2 REPEAT", & "DEST1NY" ...???

And when we win our 6th... "LE6ENDARY"!!!!!!
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 11-22-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: oops... left out something
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil