Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Gonzaga is sorta like Clemson football. Clearly an elite team, but without a lot of strong competition to test just how good.
    I disagree with this pretty strongly. Gonzaga has routinely gotten the benefit of a 1/2 seed despite playing in a poor talent truck stop conference and has rarely ever actually won anything of significance. Clemson, on the other hand...

I also think — this year aside, for being a truly terrible ACC year — clemson’s conference competition is much stronger than the WCC. And their nonconference games hold much more weight because they take up a greater percentage of their schedule.

College basketball on the whole is down this season, but it remains incredibly compelling to me. In terms of this Gonzaga team, it is one of the weakest they have fielded in recent memory. Not even close to last year’s team which IMO was one of the best in the country. Gonzaga remains talented and well coached, but it is more vulnerable than usual to being upset (even in the WCC).

Duke gains some #1 votes this week:

1. Gonzaga (54)
    2. Duke (9)
    3. Kansas (2)
    4. Baylor

10. Fl. State

13. Louisville

18. UVa

unCheaters still in Hell

Saw the Pepperdine game and not impressed with Gonzaga

Devils pick up 8 more first place votes in AP poll

Up to nine first place votes

1 Gonzaga (54) 1607

2 Duke (9) 1545

3 Kansas . (2) 1513

4 Baylor 1386

5 Auburn 1317

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    SFA gets a vote.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Gonzaga barely scraped by two crappy teams this week, KenPom #260 Portland, and #166 Pepperdine...

Left coast teams are ppppbbbbtttttt!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Gonzaga will be #1 for awhile. They play no one of consequence. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Gonzaga will be #1 for awhile. They play no one of consequence. ��
    Zags will play St Mary's twice and BYU twice. St Mary's is way better than a number of ACC teams. BYU beat VA Tech by 13 in Maui.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Zags will play St Mary's twice and BYU twice. St Mary's is way better than a number of ACC teams. BYU beat VA Tech by 13 in Maui.
    A number of ACC teams are really bad. (Although I don't think St. Mary's is "way better" than many of them.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A number of ACC teams are really bad. (Although I don't think St. Mary's is "way better" than many of them.)
    Yeah, while it's true that the WCC is not a good conference, and if getting a 1-seed were the only consideration at play, I would absolutely trade places with Gonzaga to increase the odds of getting a 1-seed, people are overstating how bad the WCC is and how "easy" Gonzaga's path is.

Again, I would trade places with them (if only to get a 1-seed; for actual tournament preparation, I'd prefer to be in the ACC), but T-Rank can tell us the chances of Duke/Gonzaga to finish their conference seasons undefeated. We're at 3.2% to go 20-0, whereas Gonzaga is at 1.1% to go 16-0. And actually, BYU is currently projected by T-Rank to win the WCC!

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Yeah, while it's true that the WCC is not a good conference, and if getting a 1-seed were the only consideration at play, I would absolutely trade places with Gonzaga to increase the odds of getting a 1-seed, people are overstating how bad the WCC is and how "easy" Gonzaga's path is.

Again, I would trade places with them (if only to get a 1-seed; for actual tournament preparation, I'd prefer to be in the ACC), but T-Rank can tell us the chances of Duke/Gonzaga to finish their conference seasons undefeated. We're at 3.2% to go 20-0, whereas Gonzaga is at 1.1% to go 16-0. And actually, BYU is currently projected by T-Rank to win the WCC!
    We've got a better chance to go 20-0 because we're a better team. I would guess Gonzaga's chances to go 20-0 in the ACC is 0.00%, rounding up.

It is true that the other top two teams in the WCC are currently pretty okay (Kenpom 29 and 30). So, Gonzaga will play four more games the rest of the season against top-30 teams. They then also play zero other teams in the top-100. The ACC, in a down year, has 14 of their 15 teams in the top-100. Miami, for example, would currently be the clear #4 team in the WCC.

If you think some people are underestimating the top-3 teams in the WCC, you might be right. But you're dramatically underestimating how much of a cakewalk they have for their other 12 non-BYU/SMC games on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    We've got a better chance to go 20-0 because we're a better team. I would guess Gonzaga's chances to go 20-0 in the ACC is 0.00%, rounding up.

It is true that the other top two teams in the WCC are currently pretty okay (Kenpom 29 and 30). So, Gonzaga will play four more games the rest of the season against top-30 teams. They then also play zero other teams in the top-100. The ACC, in a down year, has 14 of their 15 teams in the top-100. Miami, for example, would currently be the clear #4 team in the WCC.

If you think some people are underestimating the top-3 teams in the WCC, you might be right. But you're dramatically underestimating how much of a cakewalk they have for their other 12 non-BYU/SMC games on their schedule.
    Oh, yeah, I absolutely think Duke is better than Gonzaga this year. Gonzaga is almost certainly going to get a 1-seed that they will not deserve one bit. Similar to when Kansas got one in 2018, and got to play a home game in the Elite 8 against a Duke team that should have been the one with the 1-seed, and Kansas was able to squeak by in overtime in said home game, and I attended that game in person with my son for the first Duke game of his life, and no I definitely am not still bitter. With any luck at all, teams with the profile of '20 Gonzaga will not be in the discussion for 1-seeds in some version of the improved future.

But really I was just responding to the notion that "Gonzaga is not going to lose because the WCC is so easy!" which seems to be pervasive here and elsewhere in the college basketball internet, and it's just not true.

We are up to #2 in the NET behind Kansas. This is a significant jump; just a week or two ago we were still down at #8. Still some anomalies generates by the formula, but as of today we would be the #1 seed in the East (or maybe the South, I never know which is “better.”)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We are up to #2 in the NET behind Kansas. This is a significant jump; just a week or two ago we were still down at #8. Still some anomalies generates by the formula, but as of today we would be the #1 seed in the East (or maybe the South, I never know which is “better.”)
    East is better. We would play in our home away from home, Madison Square Garden.

Also, that's probably misuse of the NET, unless I'm reading you wrong. For example, SDSU is #3 in the NET and they would **not** be a 1-seed as of today. Duke **would** be a 1-seed but that's largely because of our wins over Kansas and MSU, not just because we're top-4 in the NET.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    that's probably misuse of the NET, unless I'm reading you wrong. For example, SDSU is #3 in the NET and they would **not** be a 1-seed as of today. Duke **would** be a 1-seed but that's largely because of our wins over Kansas and MSU, not just because we're top-4 in the NET.
    I've said it before and will say it again... the NET is a lousy predictor of top seeds. It is a great tool for seeing which teams will form the bubble but, historically, the polls are a much better indicator of who will get #1 and #2 seeds.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I've said it before and will say it again... the NET is a lousy predictor of top seeds. It is a great tool for seeing which teams will form the bubble but, historically, the polls are a much better indicator of who will get #1 and #2 seeds.
    NET is only 1 year old, right?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    NET is only 1 year old, right?
    True, but I think Jason's point also holds about prior usage by the Committee of RPI -- it was also less good as a predictor of Top 4 seeds than were the polls.

We're No. 3

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

We fell to No. 3 behind Baylor - somewhat predicted

So Baylor jumps Duke this week to #2, while we slide to #3.
    https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

No disrespect to Baylor as they are playing very, very well right now. But really don't understand how they jump us. It feels like straight up disrespect to Duke. Baylor went into #22 Texas Tech and won, as they should have. And they went into #4 Kansas and pulled off an "upset." When 4 beats 3, they can move to 3. We went on the road to Georgia Tech, who Kenpom rates as having the 25th best defense in the country, and pulled out a gutty win and then came home to play a crappy Wake Forest team and win by over 40 points. How do you justify dropping us? Especially when you read an article like this (great read btw) from one of the AP Voters (https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...-gonzaga-duke/), we are literally an overtime buzzer-beater away from being 16-0 (5-0) with a top 4 offense and defense on Kenpom and the largest scoring margin in college basketball (21.5 ppg). I feel like this team is continuing to quietly roll on all cylinders with absolutely no respect from the media. It honestly reminds me a lot of 2015 -- except rather than Kentucky getting all the praise, it's literally just every other top 5 team except Duke.

I know I probably sound ridiculous, because what's the poll really matter in January, but this just leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. Every two weeks there's a new flavor the moment (Michigan, Ohio State, Baylor) and Duke just keeps doing what it does best -- win. Though maybe I shouldn't really complain as I do like flying under the radar haha.