Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Looking good at #4!

Kansas (47)
    Gonzaga (15)
    Louisville (1)
    Duke (2)

Don't bother searching for the cheaters!

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Don't bother searching for the cheaters!
    6 years, 106 consecutive polls... buh-bye.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wink NET rankings

First NET rankings are out and has Duke crazily at 13 - though Duke has the most Quad 1 wins (4) of any team - but only top 30 team with a Quad 3 or 4 loss. cheaters are #95

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...n-diego-state/

Didn't mean to post smily next to NET rankings - except for cheats.

Taking a look at our schedule and it sets up pretty well for us this year. Our three toughest remaining games (on paper) are:

Louisville (3) - home - 1/18
    Florida St (19) - home - 2/10
    Virginia (9) - away - 2/29

We also have to go play at Clemson, Wake Forest, Syracuse, NC State, and UNC - all I'm sure will be battles as usual. And GT has a couple of players coming back and may be a tough game in Atlanta.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    First NET rankings are out and has Duke crazily at 13 - though Duke has the most Quad 1 wins (4) of any team - but only top 30 team with a Quad 3 or 4 loss. cheaters are #95

The UK home loss to Evansville was quad 2? Or are they not top 30?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    6 years, 106 consecutive polls... buh-bye.
    How’d they even get 1 vote let alone 41?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The UK home loss to Evansville was quad 2? Or are they not top 30?
    Kentucky is #58!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    One vote for each point The Old Ball Coach and his crew hung on them "back in the day."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

worrying about NET rankings at this point doesn't mean too too much as they have no pre-season bias.

Also a friendly reminder that NET is not meant to be a predictor...therefore doing things like actually rewarding wins, or having a heavy fall off in weight as victory margin grows are reasonable things to do. (not that it's prerfect...but it incentivizes the type of scheduling the ncaa (and us) would like to see far better than RPI ever could)
    April 1

SFAustin is a very respectable 74 in the NET ratings... but playing that game at home still makes it a Quad 3 loss for Duke. Ouch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    College Poll Tracker is your new best friend.

The breakdown of votes for UNC shows that only 8 of the 65 AP voters kept them in the Top 25. For 7 of them, UNC was ranked #20 or lower.

Then there's Scott Wolf, who has them at #14. He also is one of three voters putting Duke at #10, lower than everyone else.

scottwolf.jpg

Normally I wouldn't call out anyone based on their looks, but he has not aged well since Party of Five.

SFAustin is a very respectable 74 in the NET ratings... but playing that game at home still makes it a Quad 3 loss for Duke. Ouch.
    does quad factor in much at all anymore?

NVM: i see. they take net and then use that to make the quads.
    April 1

Coaches has us to up to #3

Behind Kansas and Gonzaga

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

But unbelievably have the cheats at #23

Gonzaga will take care of that.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Gonzaga will take care of that.
    Maybe wishful thinking but hopefully UCLA, the next game, puts another nail in the Carolina coffin

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Eh, they have the embarrassing honor of being the only team with 4 losses. Question is, who is it more embarrassing for...the team or the folks that voted for them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Behind Kansas and Gonzaga

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

This is a "failure to penalize" UNC for poor results on the court due to the anticipation that Cole and Leaky will return (or else Roy is paying his friends in the coaching profession).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is a "failure to penalize" UNC for poor results on the court due to the anticipation that Cole and Leaky will return (or else Roy is paying his friends in the coaching profession).
    In fairness, the losing is not limited to the basketball team and is available to the entire student body so...

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Actually, that makes it a Q2 loss: Q2 is Home 31-75. That said, I've got a sneaky suspicion that SFA's NET rating is artificially skewed by that win, and it will more than likely end up being a Q3 loss by season's end.

I was curious about this loss, so I went back and looked at the final "Team Sheets" from last season. The highest NET ranked team with a Q3 loss was No. 7 Texas Tech, which earned a 3-seed in the Tourney. Purdue also had one, was NET No. 11, and a 3-seed. The next "major conference" (i.e. not Buffalo) team with a Q3 loss was Maryland, who were NET No. 25 and a 6-seed. All of this is to say the following: there doesn't seem to be a comparable situation to Duke and Kentucky's bad losses in last year's NET rankings (i.e. a team in real contention for a No. 1 seed with this bad of a loss), which means we're heading into uncharted waters this year. How the committee ends up viewing those losses is going to be a huge wild-card!

An interesting note: while there are officially the four "quadrants", on the team-sheets each quadrant is further split in half for more differentiation. Not only does Duke have four Q1 wins that are likely to hold up, they also have two "top-half" Q1 wins in N Kansas and @ MSU that will likely hold up. That, along with the obvious possibility for us to get more wins of that caliber playing in the ACC, is going to be a potential differentiator and something that could offset the SFA loss.

Something else interesting: Gonzaga has already played four "top-half Q1" games and is 3-1 in them. The UNC game will probably end up a low end Q1 or at worst a Q2 game by season's end, and BYU and Saint Mary's are good enough this year that the conference schedule should provide another one or two Q1 opportunities for the Zags when they play those teams on the road. With that setup and their non-conference resume, it's going to be hard to knock the Zags off of the one-line in the West barring an unusual string of losses. So we may be competing with teams like Ohio State, Maryland, Kansas, Louisville, Virginia, etc. for just three obtainable No. 1 seeds.

Almost time for me to get back to my deep-dive "Net News" articles... that means it's officially official that it's CBB season
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    worrying about NET rankings at this point doesn't mean too much as they have no pre-season bias.
    Yeah, I remember last season when the first NET rankings came out they were largely lambasted as they contained many statistical outliers. But by the end of the season they turned out to be pretty accurate. That first ranking even had Texas Tech at #1 if I remember correctly, which everyone said was absurd but then they wound up making the Final Four.

This season the NCAA waited for a couple more weeks into the season before releasing the first set of rankings, but I think everyone knows to be patient and let them adapt as the season progresses. The tournament isn’t being played today. For us to be #35 with that terrible (on paper) SFA loss on our resume and a small total number of games is perfectly reasonable.