Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on who might win this thing? Because I really have no idea this year.
    Yeah for sure - I could make a list and guarantee the national champion is on that list.

...it's ok if there are about 40 teams on the list, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Duke checks in at #12 in the AP poll today.
    Another streak stopped this season.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I do not, for sure.
    Well, Kansas is the unanimous #1 team on the AP poll. They should probably be the betting favorite. Udoka Azubuike's been really good this year on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Another streak stopped this season.

GoDuke!
    I hate to say it because I really like this group of guys, but unless this team makes some significant noise in the tournament the 2019-20 team is going to go down in infamy with all of the streaks they ended.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on who might win this thing? Because I really have no idea this year.
    i don't have expectation that it will be us. i have hope, but not optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I hate to say it because I really like this group of guys, but unless this team makes some significant noise in the tournament the 2019-20 team is going to go down in infamy with all of the streaks they ended.
    Let me suggest some ways to minimize the difficulties this season. "Home winning streak against unranked non-ACC opponents?" Just need to add -- "... decided in regulation.

Also, "Consecutive weeks in the Top Twelve."

Any others that worry you?

Kindly,
    Sage
    'I read Animal Farm as a boy'

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I'm of two minds on this subject. I don't think Duke deserves a Top 10 ranking (and I haven't for a while), but I can't name ten teams that definitely deserve it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    this, in a nutshell.
    You know who else can't agree on ten teams that deserve it more? The AP poll voters.

This week they voted 20 different teams into their Top 10, including #21 Houston and #22 Virginia. The only ranked teams to appear in no poll voter's Top 10 were the second-tier Big Ten teams: #18 Iowa, #20 Penn State, #23 Illinois, #24 Wisconsin, and #25 Michigan.

Furthermore, they voted 20 different teams outside of their Top 10, starting with #6 Kentucky. So what you see a weird collection of very diverse opinion (despite having a unanimous #1 Kansas). It's how Maryland can stay #9 after losing to #24 Michigan State, but Michigan State moves up 8 places to #16 because they beat #9 Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You know who else can't agree on ten teams that deserve it more? The AP poll voters.

This week they voted 20 different teams into their Top 10, including #21 Houston and #22 Virginia. The only ranked teams to appear in no poll voter's Top 10 were the second-tier Big Ten teams: #18 Iowa, #20 Penn State, #23 Illinois, #24 Wisconsin, and #25 Michigan.

Furthermore, they voted 20 different teams outside of their Top 10, starting with #6 Kentucky. So what you see a weird collection of very diverse opinion (despite having a unanimous #1 Kansas). It's how Maryland can stay #9 after losing to #24 Michigan State, but Michigan State moves up 8 places to #16 because they beat #9 Maryland.
    Pollsters love the Big Ten but love MSU even more. As for the Twerps, I hope they don't ever win another game unless they beat the cheats and I'm not so sure about that.

GoDuke!

Duke starts a new streak in the top 10 at #10.

1 Kansas (28-3)
    2 Gonzaga (29-2)
    3 Dayton (29-2)
    4 Florida State (26-5)
    5 Baylor (26-4)
    6 San Diego State (30-2)
    7 Creighton (24-7)
    8 Kentucky (25-6)
    9 Michigan State (22-9)
    10 Duke (25-6)
    11 Villanova (24--7)

Only 6 points separate #9-11.
    Can't see why Michigan State is ahead of us, even now, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Because in the past month, they have 5 wins better than any we have against 1 loss that's a far better loss than any of the 3 we suffered.

You can't undersell how bad the ACC is this year, and how bad our losses are on paper.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Duke starts a new streak in the top 10 at #10.

1 Kansas (28-3)
    2 Gonzaga (29-2)
    3 Dayton (29-2)
    4 Florida State (26-5)
    5 Baylor (26-4)
    6 San Diego State (30-2)
    7 Creighton (24-7)
    8 Kentucky (25-6)
    9 Michigan State (22-9)
    10 Duke (25-6)
    11 Villanova (24--7)

Only 6 points separate #9-11.
    We have three wins over the top ten -- #1, #4, #10 -- no one else can say that. Plus, we beat ourselves a few times.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Because in the past month, they have 5 wins better than any we have against 1 loss that's a far better loss than any of the 3 we suffered.

You can't undersell how bad the ACC is this year, and how bad our losses are on paper.
    Great points but three less losses and a head-to-head win on the road vs. MSU. I don’t see it nor do I see Kentucky or Creighton ahead of us either. I will admit I am biased. 😀

Honestly, I don’t think the BIG is that much better than the ACC — especially at the top.

47 teams receiving votes in the AP poll, including Stephen F. Austin as the #26 team, as well as teams like East Tennessee State, Northern Iowa, Liberty, Richmond, Vermont, and Belmont.

2016 was the last time there were this many teams receiving votes in the equivalent week's poll.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Great points but three less losses and a head-to-head win on the road vs. MSU. I don’t see it nor do I see Kentucky or Creighton ahead of us either. I will admit I am biased. 😀

Honestly, I don’t think the BIG is that much better than the ACC — especially at the top.
    At the top, you are probably right. Both the B10 and the ACC have 3 teams in the top 15 according to KenPom (FSU, Duke, 'Ville; Mich St, OSU, Maryland). But that's where the similarities end.

In the top 40, the ACC still has only 3 teams. B10? 12 teams!!!

The B10 is muuuuuuch better than the ACC, and it isn't close this year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Great points but three less losses and a head-to-head win on the road vs. MSU. I don’t see it nor do I see Kentucky or Creighton ahead of us either. I will admit I am biased. ��

It's not the top that's the issue. It's the 10-30 range, where the B10 has 9 teams, and the ACC has 1. Duke made some of those ACC teams look a lot better than they actually are (and other times, a lot worse)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    At the top, you are probably right. Both the B10 and the ACC have 3 teams in the top 15 according to KenPom (FSU, Duke, 'Ville; Mich St, OSU, Maryland). But that's where the similarities end.

In the top 40, the ACC still has only 3 teams. B10? 12 teams!!!

The B10 is muuuuuuch better than the ACC, and it isn't close this year.
    I am going by the eye test. Lol. Based on my eyes, I don’t think the BIG stands out — other than MSU. They are legit. The other teams are good but I don’t see them as legitimate threats to win the whole thing. I am sure the stats are better than my ACC colored eyeballs.

I am going by the eye test. Lol. Based on my eyes, I don’t think the BIG stands out — other than MSU. They are legit. The other teams are good but I don’t see them as legitimate threats to win the whole thing. I am sure the stats are better than my ACC colored eyeballs.
    You're not alone - I visit all the more active ACC boards and there's a strong contingent of people who straight up refuse to believe what all of the advanced stats indicate. The B1G is absolutely GREAT this year - they don't have much in the way of elite/top5/title contenders, but they are rife with top 25-30ish teams.

The numbers say they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ACC - they could get 8-10 teams in the tourney. B1G is even well in front of the B12 and BE, who are again a cut above the ACC (who is basically neck and neck with the P12 this year - yuck).

It seems like the hardcore ACC fans have a bit of a case of "SEC football-itis" this year. By that I mean they have that "we're always the best or close to the best" mindset, which while *usually* true, is just WAY off this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    You're not alone - I visit all the more active ACC boards and there's a strong contingent of people who straight up refuse to believe what all of the advanced stats indicate. The B1G is absolutely GREAT this year - they don't have much in the way of elite/top5/title contenders, but they are rife with top 25-30ish teams.

The numbers say they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ACC - they could get 8-10 teams in the tourney. B1G is even well in front of the B12 and BE, who are again a cut above the ACC (who is basically neck and neck with the P12 this year - yuck).

It seems like the hardcore ACC fans have a bit of a case of "SEC football-itis" this year. By that I mean they have that "we're always the best or close to the best" mindset, which while *usually* true, is just WAY off this season.
    Yeah. The ACC has 3 tiers this year: 4 teams that could compete for a B10 title, 5 teams that would be bottom of the B10, and 6 teams - including UNC - that wouldn't be allowed to play in the B10 this year.

Folks rightly rip on the B10 year in, year out due to their underperformance in the dance. And this year, that may happen again. But let's not lie to ourselves that this conference is on par with the ACC; it's so much better.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We have three wins over the top ten -- #1, #4, #10 -- no one else can say that. Plus, we beat ourselves a few times.

Ademola Okulaja points don't move you up the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah. The ACC has 3 tiers this year: 4 teams that could compete for a B10 title, 5 teams that would be bottom of the B10, and 6 teams - including UNC - that wouldn't be allowed to play in the B10 this year.

Folks rightly rip on the B10 year in, year out due to their underperformance in the dance. And this year, that may happen again. But let's not lie to ourselves that this conference is on par with the ACC; it's so much better.
    Yes, that's why the B10 smashed the ACC 11-3 in the Challenge this year. Wait, that didn't happen? It was just 8-6?

I agree the ACC is down and the B10 is deeper, but I don't buy that the gap is so chasmic that the #11 or 12 team in the B10 is clearly better than the #5 team in the ACC, which seems to be the general group think consensus. Or, that Duke should be ranked behind Mich State, despite 3 fewer losses and a dominating win at Mich State, not to mention the Kansas win on a neutral court.